Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad LT 15 Locking old files

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Mslacat
464 Views, 3 Replies

Autocad LT 15 Locking old files

I recently installed a Autocad LT 15 upgrade.  Now I am finding that all of my files that were created or edited with my previuos autocad lt .dwg files or locked as if someone else has the files opened.  I have checked the files in windows and they are not read-only attributed.  I have read in previuos threads that this may be caused by Autocad 360, and they mention a solution is to turn off Autocad 360.  If this is the solution how do I turn off or delete Autocad 360.  If this is not the problem how do I fix this.  I have quite a few complicated Xref'd project files and it will be very time consuming to go in and resave then rename hundreds of files.   HELP

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Mslacat
in reply to: Mslacat

Here is a little more info.

When I upgraded Autocad Lt to 15 I also upgraded my computer everything is running on a new computer.

I am running a brand new version of windows 7

Computer is an HP Envy w/ 16GB DDR3 RAM

My old computer is retired and not currently running.

There are no other computers connected or have access to my drawing files.

My files are stored on a seperate external hard drive.

New files created with Autocad Lt 15 are saving just fine.

Currently Autocad 360 is installed on this compter but is not set up / nor will it be to save or sync with Autocad 360 cloud

Message 3 of 4
pendean
in reply to: Mslacat

How do you know AutoCAD is locking files?
How do you know the file is locked?

If AutoCAD is reporting someone else have the file open that just means AutoCAd cannot write to that folder location: it's a Windows permissions thing, often ntohing to do with the file if you are the only one with access.

An all new PC is probably a good place to start: where are these files located?
Message 4 of 4
Mslacat
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the kick to check the windows settings.  The files are/were located on a seperate external hard drive.  It was only allowing editing/saving by the orginal creater/user.  Since this was a new computer it looked at the new computer as a new /different user.  Everyone else was only allowed to view as a read-only (unless they did a "save-as" and rename).  Since my former computer is not online anymore it was creating a problem.  Since I am a single opperater and the only person with access to the external hard drive I just did a system wide "allow" for all users (me being the actual only user) and it seems to have fixed the problem.  Again thanks for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost