Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad DWG Launcher 'linking' to wrong version

43 REPLIES 43
SOLVED
Message 1 of 44
Anonymous
69974 Views, 43 Replies

Autocad DWG Launcher 'linking' to wrong version

So, I have searched the forums and found similar queries but mine seems a bit different...

I had the trial version of Autocad 2015 (Full version), decided to buy LT, so uninstalled the trial version and downloaded LT 2015.

When trying to open DWG's from explorer the default application is set to Autocad DWG Launcher which is found in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\AcShellEx". However, when I try to open files from explorer I get this warning message: "Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\acad.exe'

I think this is the problem, I have the correct application set to open DWG's but that application is looking for a version that is no longer installed on my machine. Can I set Autocad DWG Launcher to look for the correct version (LT 2015)? I have tried repair and a reinstall to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

43 REPLIES 43
Message 21 of 44
zenkai
in reply to: klonbeck

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for, I knew it was a regedit solution I just wasn't sure where.
Message 22 of 44
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hi all,

In my case, none of the above options worked, including re-installation.

I think the problem can be best "avoided" if the new CAD software is installed and run (by double clicking on the dwg) and ensuring that it works, before uninstalling the unwanted version.

I solved my problem by editing the registry. Since I could not find a solution in web search, thought of posting my solution here.

Run Regedit (running it as administrator is not needed unless you are habitually running ACAD as administrator) and export a copy before you do the following. Kindly take the help of your system administrator if you are not conversant with Windows Registry.

Close all your CAD Softwares (that can open DWG).

Look for

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\DwgCommon\shel​lex\apps

You will find

{F29F85E0-4FF9-1068-AB91-08002B27B3D9}:Aut​oCAD

or

{F29F85E0-4FF9-1068-AB91-08002B27B3D9}:Aut​oCAD LT

as your case may be.

Change to AutoCAD LT or AutoCAD as required.

Now open

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\DwgCommon\shel​lex\apps{F29F85E0-4FF9-1068-AB91-08002B27B3D9}:Aut​oCAD XX

(XX  may or may not be there, depending on LT or AutoCAD)

1.Change OpenDdeSvc

AutoCAD.DDE to AutoCAD LT.DDE or vice versa.

2. Change OpenLaunch

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\*AutoCAD 2016\acad.exe" "%1" to "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\*AutoCAD 2016 LT\acad lt.exe" "%1" or vice versa

*your CAD installation folder

3. Similarly change for PrintDdeSvc and 4. PrintLaunch in line with what is given above in 1 & 2

Close Regedit.

Now right click on a dwg file and open with AutoCAD DWG Launcher.

I suppose DWG True View or other programs capable of being launched by AutoCAD DWG Launcher too can be 'de-linked' this way, by carefully modifying the values in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\DwgCommon\shel​lex\apps

Hope that helps

Message 23 of 44
lwjacob

Had to login just to say thank you very much sir!

Message 24 of 44
Anonymous

My problem was the same as luciboxee, but thanks to you the answer has been found !!!! Thanks!
Message 25 of 44
Anonymous
in reply to: luciboxee

Thanks a lot! I did what you said, and works PERFECTLY !
Message 26 of 44
ahmad.jalabi

really thanks for your concern

I have the same problem of launcher - that the computer in double click take the old version of Auto-cad

- I have followed all recommended steps which I found in Your Kind Conversation but it was still linking to the old version,so I have followed the the article which give "how to delete registry files of Autocad " and the problem not solved !!!

and then I delete the launcher of Auto cad which I found by windows Search ( to re install again if it possible)

How can I Reinstall the launcher Again

Message 27 of 44
pendean
in reply to: ahmad.jalabi

Sometimes you just have to do this very long process if nothing else works so make sure you have valid backups first https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Recomm...
Message 28 of 44
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

This happened to me after uninstalling and installing different versions of Autocad 2017. I found an easy fix: download and install DWG TrueView 2017. Then try to open all autocad files, dwg, dxf, dxt, (right click) choosing DWG TrueView 2017 as the default program. Then do it in the same way but choose Autocad program not TrueView. This trick worked for me. Hope it helps.

Message 29 of 44
Anonymous
in reply to: cathy

Greetings. Is very simple, you have to do is open the windows explorer and locate the acLauncher, which is located in: C: \ Program Files \ Common Files \ Autodesk Shared \ AcShellEx, and in another browser window locate the application of acad .exe in the autodesk folder, then drag the acad.exe icon and put it on the acLauncher, obviously try to open the file but you will not be able to do it because they are two applications, and this will be the default autocad linked dwg files With the launcher. very simple.

Tanks.

Message 30 of 44
Anonymous

Message 31 of 44
Anonymous

Hello,

I had the same problem as the threadstarter and tracked the problem down to the registry aswell, but before that I tried to reinstall everything clean and deleted all Audodesk registry entries.

Now the DWG Launcher does not do anything at all when I try to open dwg files with it and it drives me crazy.

Please help me!

Message 32 of 44
pendean
Message 33 of 44
Anonymous

No, the problem is most certenly the registry. I just need a way to completely remove AutoCAD to do a fresh full install including registy entries. Otherwise the only way to get the DWG-Launcher to work is reinstalling Windows and that is honestly a really bad solution for such a trivial problem.

Message 34 of 44
pendean

If you log into Windows as an all new user, does the problem go away?

Message 35 of 44
Anonymous

The same thing with a new user. I guess I need to add the registy entries manually, because AutoCAD doesn't add them wehen installing anymore.

Message 36 of 44
duarte.silveira

Hi,

I'm having the same problem. Has someone found a solution other than reinstalling windows...?

Message 37 of 44
pendean
in reply to: duarte.silveira

Forgive me, but what exactly is the issue you are facing? There are many versions of "same problem" in this long discussion, not just one.

Don't forget to list software version numbers and your Windows OS version too.
Message 38 of 44
ghyslop

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth here with a solution that worked for me. Running on Windows 10, I installed AutoCAD 2018 but did not want it to be my default AutoCAD yet because I wanted to test my custom routines first. I tested them and was happy so I wanted dwg files to open with AutoCAD 2018 instead of 2017. I tried all of the solutions noted previously with no success. I knew that uninstalling AutoCAD 2017 would work but didn't want to do that yet.

My solution is as follows: Set dwg files to some arbitrary association like notepad(This part may not be necessary). Then rename Acad.exe for 2017 to some other name( I used Acadxxx.exe). Then change the file association for dwg by selecting properties of a dwg file and the change button. Then browse to the program folder that has the acad.exe file you want dwg files to open with and say ok, (do not select dwg launcher). Then change the 2017 acad.exe filename back to it's correct name.

It would be nice if Autodesk added a tickbox in AutoCAD to set the default version.

And I know this is an AutoCAD LT forum but I can imagine that this solution works for all versions of AutoCAD. Worth a try at least.

Cheers

Message 39 of 44
patmang
in reply to: luciboxee

Thank You  - Worked Great!

Message 40 of 44
Anonymous

I was having the same problem. Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost