Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2012: migrate from Student version to Commercial version

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
dtts
4344 Views, 10 Replies

AutoCAD 2012: migrate from Student version to Commercial version

I uninstalled the educational version of AutoCAD LT 2012 from my computer and tried to install the commercial version of AutoCAD 2012 on the same computer. The difference I noticed during the installing process was that the commercial version was installed very easy and fast. It only asked me to input the serial number and product key. Not like the first time when I installed the educational version, it generated a significant amount of code words.

After I started launching the commercial version program, immediately a pop-up screen came out in the middle of drawing window with the following message:"Open Drawing-Not an Educational Product Drawing      The drawing file being opened was not created by a product from an Autodesk Education suite. If you save this drawing, it will always be plotted with the following plot stamp: PRODUCED BY AN AUTODESK EDUCATIONAL PRODUCT It is recommended that you save this drawing with a different name". There are two buttons in the lower right hand corner of the pop-up screen marked 'Continue' and 'Cancel'

If I push any of the two buttons, the application window would immediately change from AutoCAD LT 2012 to AutoCAD LT 2012 Student version. There was no way to get around it. The plotting would also have the educational product stamp. Please advise what I can do to remove the pop-up screen and start using the commercial version program.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
pendean
in reply to: dtts

You seem to have lost track of what is and what is not installed on your PC. The following has never changed, and applies to many applications, not just AutoCAD.

Keep the student and/or trial version installed (its the same 100% identical application anyway).

1) At the command line type ABOUT (look up the command if you wish).

2) Click on the Product Information Button.

3) Update your Serial Number to the new one. 4) Activate the license.

Message 3 of 11
dtts
in reply to: pendean

Thank you for the response.

I tried to follow the procedure and came up with the following questions:

1. Is it necessary to reinstall the student version first before changing the license type? ( The original student version disc is not readily available now because my kid took it to the school which is out of state.)

2. Could I just go ahead install the commercial version now and follow your suggested steps to activate the new license? (I reinstalled the commercial version back into the computer. When the application window automatically changed to student version, I typed 'ABOUT" at the command line. The Product Information pop-up screen shows the new serial number of the commercial version yet the 'student version' still appears in the license type field. I stopped at this step due to concerns of making a wrong move to complicate the whole issue.)

Your advise would be greatly appreciated.

Message 4 of 11
pendean

Since you are able to start some version of LT2012 (is that correct, or am I reading your responses incorrectly?), I would try to simply change the license per directions from my first reply and see if that will help fix the problem.

Message 5 of 11
dtts
in reply to: pendean

It worked. The commercial version application window now stays on and the educational product stamp disappeared. Thank you very much for the help.

Message 6 of 11
areye028

im also trying to get rid of the stamp! i downloaded the 30-day trial version but i STILL GET THE STUDENT STAMP 😞 if i dont get rid of this soon, im going to get FIRED! someone please HELP Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 11
joane.bonghanoy
in reply to: areye028

Hi areye028,

Do follow the steps provided by one of our Community Experts above. If it still didn't work for you, you can do the complete uninstallation of the student version and re-install the Commercial Version. 

Once installed, you can then proceed in activating the License. 

Joane Bonghanoy
Message 8 of 11
areye028
in reply to: joane.bonghanoy

I've tried uninstalling and installing all day today. I can honestly say I've done it more that 10 times.

Audrey Reyes

Master of Architecture Student at Florida International University

Brother of Alpha Rho Chi, Professional Fraternity Inc.

Cell: 305_450_7054
Message 9 of 11
hwalker

Don't forget that you will have to recreate all your drawings from scratch.

As any item you use which was created in the student version will infect the commercial drawing with that same plot stamp

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 10 of 11
Charles_Shade
in reply to: hwalker

To further that thought along if you Insert a Block that has the Stamp your new drawing will have the stamp as well.

This is a very pervasive tool from Autodesk. A reseller in your area may be able to help you remove this from your Drawing files.

But if you are using non commercial content to create now commercial work you are in violation of the EULA which is why the EDU stamp exists.

Message 11 of 11
pendean

The stamp is in the DWG files created by EDU software, it's not just what program you use. Reread my sentence. Do you understand it? You can spend a million dollars on commercial software and your DWG file created in EDU software will still have the stamp.

That's probably your issue. Stamp is in the files (or any part of these files you bring in as blocks). Hope you don't get fired for not knowing about EDU programs and files and how they never should be used in commercial environments 😞

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost