Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area Calculations

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
348 Views, 5 Replies

Area Calculations

I am relatively new to AutoCAD LT and I am hoping that someone will be able to help me out. I am constructing floorplans and measuring the area in m2. My problem is that my areas are not adding up correctly. We are investigating possible future redesigning of units, and although the outer boundary of the building is the same, when I add up the individual units this total area does not add up correctly. While trying to figure out what was going on I traced one unit exactly on another layer and compared areas between the two identical polygons....and they have different areas!?!?!? If anyone could suggest what I should try next, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

They cannot be identical if you get different areas for each: double check your dimensions for those areas and what you are 'snapping' to. Also make sure you use AREA command's OBJECT selection to select a closed PLINE or REGION you created from the drawing file. And as always, if you still cannot get it to work, you need to post a sample file for others to test and recreate. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Sometimes if an object is 3D it will give weird areas. Have you checked this? Either that or the polyline that created the boundary could have a line under a line which can sometimes confuse the area command too.
Message 4 of 6
Charles_Shade

Did you include the thickness of the walls when adding the individual units? Unless you went to center of ALL walls the corner or end units would always be different since the are bounded by 4 walls whereas the adjacent units are bound only by 2 or 3.

regards,
cshade
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Use PE command to convert the lines to a closed polyline, join them together: Input command PE and enter, then input M option, then select all objects and enter, press y, press J to join all of them. At last, input command AREA and select the closed polygon, check the area result in command line.

reference: http://www.zwsoft.com/forum/thread-2827-1-1.html

Message 6 of 6
Bob_Zurunkle

Also remember that tenant areas usually go to centers of demising walls with other tenants, and if memory serves they go to exterior walls but don't go to center of separations with Common Area Maintenance. Tenant areas plus CAM areas should add up to total building area, but I may be missing something...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost