Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotative blocks and linetype scales

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
millerew17
1738 Views, 7 Replies

Annotative blocks and linetype scales

I'm using AutoCADLT 2013. I've been gleaning this forum to solve my problem but I'm stilI not able to fix it on my own, especially Problem #1. 

I changed a few Blocks that were non-annotative to annotative using the "Block Definition" Behavior setting. All Blocks were created in 0 Layer, Model space at 1:1 scale, XYZ were all 0". The first ones were non-annotative (which I will be converting to annotative soon).    

Problem #1....When I change my scale from 1:1 to 1/4=1-0 in both Model space & Paper space, the annotative blocks become huge but the non-annotative ones remain the normal size. (Floorplan looks right but the annotative Fireplace and deck piers are the size of the whole DWG) I thought Annotative objects were automatically converted (Properties shows the oversized objects to be 1/4=1-0 so they were properly scaled but I didn't expect that size)? 

Problem #2.... I also had some linetype scale issues such as Dashed and Dotted ones becoming solid. The linetype scales I had originally changed in  Properties to get the right look/spacing. Was I wrong to do it this way? Is this what you Pros call overriding? 

This may be trivial but on this same page.....Is there a way to tone down the Paperspace screen to a softer color rather than the bright white? Some of my lighter linetype colors such as yellow are difficult to see. My Model space is the standard black/dark gray. What's the consensus on screens out there amongst the Pros?

Thanks! 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: millerew17

1. That's how it works, if you started with the correct size for the item at 1:1. Are you sure these items need to be annotative? For example, a tag with a letter in it at 1:1 is 3/32 tall but at 1/8 scale it's half the width of a door: which is correct.
2. All depends on your settings for LTSCALE, PSLTSCALE, MSLTSCALE and CELTSCALE. You didn't share that information.
3. OPTIONS command's second tab from the left has a colors button to change the paperspace background.
Message 3 of 8
bob_mpc

I guess you want to have the text description in the block to be changing its size. In this case, you must create the block as non-annotative, but the text inside - annotative, and add all possible scales prior to block creation.

Boris
AutoCad LT 2021.1.1
Message 4 of 8
millerew17
in reply to: pendean

Working from the bottom up....

#3. That was an easy revision and very helpful. Thanks

#2. I had my settings for all four items set to <1> or 1.000.   I used the CANNOSCALE to check my linetype scales and then to get the linetypes the way I wanted in both Model and Paper. CANNOSCALE is more of a tool than I originally thought. I'll take any other reinforcing comments in that area too.  I'm still curious, if changing scales in properties is not proper, unless it's only for a single item here and there or on the fly?

#1. I understand what you meant with your Tag example, so maybe I got ahead of myself.  From what I've been learning from this forum, it seems like the more "Annotative" the better and faster, whether it be blocks, texts, dimensions, etc. but that may not apply to objects like plumbing fixtures, deck piers, fireplaces and so on.  So I'm not sure how to determine what should be and not to be.  Should a person go with Annotative only when there are letters & numbers involved? Are there any "Rules of Thumbs" for Annotative? 

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 8
bob_mpc

I would say that any physical object must be drawin in real size. The Annotative styles, blocks etc is for _annotations olny_ - the excellent example of Pendean for a tag.

See attached drawing - I tried to explain my previous posting (the annotation is done to show in scales 1:50 and 1:100 only - play with them). The block is called "fireplace". I tried to make it show text at 2mm height (in paperspace).

Boris
AutoCad LT 2021.1.1
Message 6 of 8
millerew17
in reply to: bob_mpc

OK.....It's finally coming together upstairs. Annotative blocks are for: Blocks with any kind of annotations (Text, dimensions, tolerances, symbols, notes) in them, but if the block has none, then it doesn't need to be annotative at all. So if a fireplace like your example didn't have any text then should be created as a non-annotative block, but put some annotations in it like the word "Fireplace" and you will want it to be annotative so that part changes scale right correctly. 

So to make the text annotative in a block, a person does this by using properties in the block editor? 

Message 7 of 8
bob_mpc

The text style with which you create the texts must be annotative. AND you must add to your texts all the scales you want the text to show in. You CAN make it different - as in the sample (in scale 1:100 it writes "Fireplace"; in scale 1:50 - it gives also model. 

In the sample there is a style called "firep". It's annotative and the text is created in it. If you change ANNOALLVISIBLE to 1 (or just click on the icon next to the annoscale drop-down) you can see BOTH texts.

I suggest that you explode the block, check the props of the texts and play a bit with them.

Of course, if I could be useful more - no problem.

Boris
AutoCad LT 2021.1.1
Message 8 of 8
millerew17
in reply to: bob_mpc

I think I got it and will be doing some correcting ASAP! If I have anymore thoughts, I'll open up this thread again and ask for more help. The help in this forum is outstanding! Being able to see another persons DWGs is very helpful. Many thanks ....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost