Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe 9 Standard PDF query

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
jtmcn
776 Views, 12 Replies

Adobe 9 Standard PDF query

Hello, I am trying to get a PDFwriter package for my PC at work, I have previously used Adobe writers but after speaking to Adobe they have told me that Adobe Acrobat 9 standard does not plot from Autocad, they are advising me to purchase Adobe X standard at £500, and that adobe 9 standard doesnt work although i'm convinced someone had it before, and it worked ok.

Does anybody use adobe 9 standard to create PDFs from Autocad?

Cheers

JT

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
pendean
in reply to: jtmcn

LT version? The last 5-versions have a PDF driver built in. No need for any other.

Adobe 9 installs a Windows PDF driver that works just fine in ALL programs install on your PC (are they telling you Adobe Acrobat 9 installs a button in every program on your PC but skips LT? hogwash. It does not do any of that for any of them). AutoCAD and LT still plot to Windows installed drivers since they became Windows apps back in the day.

Free PDF drivers that install in Windows (much like Acrobat9) have been around as long as LT in Windows, and Acrobat, and have also provided easy ways to create PDFs from any program, including LT.

Hope this helps: misinformation to make a sale is a disease at whatever entity you get your info from... . Stay alert.

Message 3 of 13
jtmcn
in reply to: pendean

LT version 2009 yes,  i asked if i could create straight from Autocad and they told me no, although in the past the PDF driver to plot from cad i have always used has been Adobe, i havent used the dwg to pdf function as it creates a larger file size, so its never been an issue but i need the adobe standard version as i need the functions that standard gives you outside of CAD, i thought it wouldnt be an issue but of course they need to pedal the version that costs more money,

thanks for the help

Message 4 of 13
pendean

AFAIK, Adobe's Standard driver has limited sheet sizes to select from (not a limitation on all the free PDF drivers out there) and Adobe 9 installed buttons in AutoCAD (but not LT) but only if you buy the PRO version.

And since they only sell Acrobat X now, it stands to reason they want to sell you the full up current version.

Before LT2008 (or was it LT2007), there was no built-in driver for PDF: but we all used free PDF drivers like CutePDF (and others) and never bought anything from Adobe to do it.

Message 5 of 13
mrdavie

Dean, you are a major contributor in support of these forums, but sometimes your replies are sarcastic and make absolutely untrue asumptions. People are posting for questions because they need help. They do not need you to put them down. I suggest you review your replies in the future before posting them.

Message 6 of 13
pendean
in reply to: mrdavie

Are you an Adobe employee or the reseller the OP was talking about? otherwise I fail to see how any reply here does what you claim.

Message 7 of 13
mrdavie
in reply to: pendean

To quote you in an earlier reply:

"Adobe 9 installs a Windows PDF driver that works just fine in ALL programs install on your PC (are they telling you Adobe Acrobat 9 installs a button in every program on your PC but skips LT? hogwash. It does not do any of that for any of them). AutoCAD and LT still plot to Windows installed drivers since they became Windows apps back in the day"

Message 8 of 13
pendean
in reply to: mrdavie

Did you read what Adobe told the OP, and not just my response to that it?

" ... after speaking to Adobe they have told me that Adobe Acrobat 9 standard does not plot from Autocad, they are advising me to purchase Adobe X standard at £500, and that adobe 9 standard doesnt work although i'm convinced someone had it before, and it worked ok."

The OP was correct, or at least I thought so. I was on the side of the OP, showing my support to their observation. Try reading it all in context please.

Message 9 of 13
gccdesign

You might check a previous post I did. The title was "Autocad supplied pdf print driver".

Anyway, per my recollection, I have used Acrobat Standard 9.0 in Acad 2009 LT. Only problem was that it had a limited set of sheet sizes. Acrobat Pro has a much larger set of sheet sizes as you need for architectural drawings.

But for what sheet sizes it does support, Acrobat Standard worked pretty well. You just use the pdf print driver that was installed with Acrobat. Sheet size is the "only" limitation I found in using standard.

But just as a comparison, I did find that the pdf printer that is included in later versions of Acad LT worked quite a bit better for Autocad drawings.

And if you need other capabilities that Acrobat offers, you can always open the pdf later in Acrobat and combine sheets or whatever you are needing to do. So if your version of Autocad does have the included pdf print driver, give it a whirl.

Also, as previously mentioned, if you don't have the Autocad included pdf print driver, you can use the free or almost free things like cutepdf or pdf995.

I have Acrobat Pro 9.0, and last time I looked I saw no improvements in 10 that interested me.

GChapp

Message 10 of 13
jtmcn

thanks for all the above info,

I have since been giving nuance pdf converter by my IT dept, which is useless for plotting from Autocad, (many versions in my experience) - but i do need it because of the other things it does when it comes to putting together documents that include my autocad drawings,

my original post was because i found an old copy of acrobat standard but adobe themselves told me it was no good for autocad, this isnt the case as another draughtsman here used it daily, in regards to the issue of sheet sizes, we get around that by doing custom PDF plot size from adobe in Autocad and it works absolutely fine so we can print any size paper in autocad using adobe, no problems.

for my situation I was upgraded to Autocad 2012 LT recently and the "dwg to pdf" option to plot in that works just fine, so i dont use the software my IT dept supplied for plotting, my issue with dwg to pdf before was that the file size was far too big, but this is no issue anymore and i can then use the nuance software once i have the PDF from autocad, to be honest i tried to push my IT dept for adobe but it was too expensive in the end

Message 11 of 13
hwalker

Just to add an extra bit of info. Adobe are now giving away CS2 for free. That has Acrobat 8 pro in it, and when I installed it on someone's machine at work it said "Install Autocad Drivers"

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 12 of 13
dgorsman
in reply to: hwalker

Careful with that.  The official Adobe stance is that is *only* to support activation for users who have previously purchased a license.  While they are unlikely to legally go after "oh goody, FREE!" downloaders at this point it would probably be best to respect the intentions if not the technical implementation.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 13 of 13
pendean
in reply to: dgorsman

To add to the comment above: a software audit for licenses will not pass those recent "free" Adobe downloads unless you actually own and have purcshed the packaged CS2 license back in the day.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost