Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding New Hatch Patterns

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
cdc2017
146554 Views, 19 Replies

Adding New Hatch Patterns

How do I add new hatch patterns into AutoCAD LT 2014?  In older versions, I would just simply copy & paste the .pat files into the ACADLT folder.  Not sure which folder to copy the .pat files into with LT 2014.....or does it even work that way anymore?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
pendean
in reply to: cdc2017

If you just want a folder, either create your own and add it to the LT search path (best practice) or put it in one of LT's core folders.

OPTIONS command's FILES tab has an entry at the top to show you the current folders or do add your own. Same tip works for older LT versions too, not much has really changed except for Windows and how ti likes to bury user stuff.

Message 3 of 20
cdc2017
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the advice, but I really have almost no idea what you are referring to; eg.: "LT search path"? , "core folders"?.......... I'm not familiar with any of those things. I just have some extra hatch patterns that are not part of the standard AutoCAD LT patterns, that I want to be able to use. I need more step by step instructions if possible.

Thanks,

Chip Carpenter
Carpenter Design
1809 East Blvd., Suite 204
Charlotte, NC 28203
704-277-7417
704-631-4668 fax
www.carpenterhouseplans.com
Message 4 of 20
pendean

OPTIONS command: start it (type it if you have to).
On the pop-up, there are tabs.
Click on the FILES tab.
On the same pop-up you see a list.
Click on the plus sign next to the first item way at the top.

Those are the folders LT searches for content by default.
You stated that in the past you simply dropped additional hatch patterns in program folders: well, here is your list of folders to choose from.

Do you need any extra help? let us know.
Message 5 of 20
georgiana.calhoun

I desperately need help bringing in a custom wood grain hatch pattern into autocad 2016. I saved the file to .pat, but there has to be a more intuitive and easier way.Please list for me step by step how to get this done. Thank you!!

S i n c e r e l y,

G e o r g i a n a |  C a l h o u n

Message 6 of 20
pendean
in reply to: georgiana.calhoun

Custom Hatch patterns/ PAT-extension file rules:

1. File name and hatch pattern name must be one and the same.
2. One hatch pattern per file.
3. there must be a single blank line at the end of the definition in the PAT file.
4. The PAT file must be in AutoCAD's search path.This can be any folder, simply add that folder to the search path using OPTIONS command>Files Tab>Support File Search Path.
5. You then find all of these new hatch patterns that you added under the CUSTOM option in HATCH command pop-up (or in the Ribbon).
Message 7 of 20
mak.snw

Hi Sir,

Thank you very much i was looking for adding new diamond plate hatches i download some pat files from internet but i didnt know about where and how to add to use these hatch patterns now i am done with this because of your post.

Thanks

Aamir

Message 8 of 20
CBuongio

AutoCAD LT 2014, I was able to add custom hatch patterns per 'pendean's' suggestion, created a folder and added it to the LT search path.  The patterns appear, but when I select something to hatch, the error message "Bad pattern definition file:  Missing parameter on line 4."  The patterns were downloaded from a stone veneer manufacturer's website, any suggestions?

Message 9 of 20
pendean
in reply to: CBuongio

Open the hatch pattern in Windows Notepad, go to LINE 4, is there any code written in there?
Any reason you cannot share it here for others to examine?

>>>...The patterns were downloaded from a stone veneer manufacturer's website, any suggestions?...<<<
You will need to ask them for help with THEIR hatches my friend.
Message 10 of 20
CBuongio

I'm not sure what to do with this or how to read it, but this is what comes up when I open the hatch pattern with Notepad.  The strange thing is if I cut and paste the hatch from an older drawing (from before my computer was reformatted) the pattern displays and I can adjust it to fit using grips to edit the shape.

Message 11 of 20
pendean

Post the PAT file please.
Message 12 of 20
CBuongio

This is the pattern I was trying to use.

Message 13 of 20
pendean

Seems to work just fine in AutoCAD/LT2016 and 2017 here: no errors.

Capture.JPG

Message 14 of 20
CBuongio

Bad pattern definition file:
Missing parameter on line 4.
?

It's still unsuccessful on my end, I still get the same error, so I guess you can not help. Thank you anyways.

Message 15 of 20
jeffhibbard

I have autocad 2018. Are there hatch patterns other than the standard available, And where would I get them.

I am looking for variety's of stone, and also a wood grain hatch. Where may I find these.

Thanks

Message 16 of 20
hugha

Just saw this. You posted a pattern generated by a Revit add-in that pays no regard to AutoCAD's requirement that a hatch pattern be defined with lines of 80 characters or less.

Try this version converted to AutoCAD format by HatchKit:

Message 17 of 20
hugha
in reply to: jeffhibbard

We keep a list of links to Hatch pattern collections here:

http://hatchkit.com.au/HatLinks.php

hth,

Message 18 of 20
wisedrawing
in reply to: hugha

If I drop the .pat files into this tree as attached, the files are in there, but apart from a couple of the files nothing else appears in the hatch tab in the program. Its like there is a limit to the number of hatch patterns. Why are they not appearing, I reset the list so I know its looking in this location??

Message 19 of 20
pendean
in reply to: wisedrawing

There is no "limit",but you do limit yourself with your many setting and choices if I look at your screenshot:

1. Turn on file extensions in Windows File Explorer, learn what they mean, stop relying on Windows guessing at your file types.

2. Create a custom PAT folder somewhere you can easily access, like C:\MYFILES\PAT for example, and drop all o your custom hatches there. Use OPTIONS command's FILES tab, top most entry, to add that folder to AutoCAD/LT's search paths, move it up to the top of the list, Click APPLY then CLOSE options command. Restart AutoCAD/LT.

3. All custom personal PAT files must be created following this simple rule:

a. File name and hatch pattern name must be one and the same.
b. One hatch pattern per file.
c. there must be a single blank line at the end of the definition in the PAT file.
d. You find all of these new hatch patterns that you added under the CUSTOM option in HATCH command pop-up (or in the Ribbon).

HTH

Message 20 of 20
LisaStacholy

6 years later and these direction were perfect! Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost