Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Digital Signature Field

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jrintisch
3603 Views, 9 Replies

Adding Digital Signature Field

Hi,

I have used the Search bar in this forum to find information on the above topic but my browser will not let me see what is on the 2nd page or beyond that...

What I am looking for is this:

Can a field (or something) be inserted into a drawing so that after the drawing has been printed to PDF, digital signatures can be added by the appropriate people/disciplines.

I have looked through all of the available fields and haven't found anything.  I have also seached the web for a good hour and have found a lot of dead ends and others looking for the same answer with little or no response.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
dgorsman
in reply to: jrintisch

Careful what you are asking for - a digital signature is *not* the same as digitally signing a document.  The former, putting a scanned copy of a signature in a file, is generally not accepted.  The latter is a virtual "stamp" added to the file data to indicate whether it has been altered after being "stamped".

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 10
pendean

AutoCAD FIELDs don't do that.
Message 4 of 10
jrintisch
in reply to: pendean

Just to clarify, I want to add a signature to a PDF using fields (or something) that is created through AutoCAD.  So that once the DWG is printed to PDF, the reciever can click his "sign" button and his signature will appear in the correct place in the PDF.  Each drawing has a different size and location for signatures, so these properties must be able to be altered in AutoCAD.  Basically, when the "sign" button is pressed, Adobe looks for certain parameters or objects to perform this task.  Does AutoCAD have such an object?

Jeremy

Message 5 of 10
pendean

Again, no. where did you fet the idea that was possible? can you do so in a non-adobe product?
Can you get a FIELD to do that in a DWG file?
Message 6 of 10
jrintisch
in reply to: pendean

One of my managers asked me to look into this concept because if AutoCAD has this capability it would save us a lot of time with signing.  It looks like Adobe is headed in this direction and he wanted to incorporate this signing capability into our documents.

That's it.  Thanks for your time.

Message 7 of 10
dgorsman

Before you get too far into it, check with the various professional organizations and regions involved.  While some are ok with a simple digital stamp (but usually not a signature), some explicitly require wet-ink signatures for official drawings of record.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 10
Macia.Lopez

We are using "Bluebeam CAD Revu" as our PDF creation engine in our drawing office. It exactly does what you are asking for. It generates a place on your PDF to be digitally signed by user.
Message 9 of 10
hayden_11

Hi All,

Bumping this thread from 5 years ago.

I am also looking to do what the OP wanted to do and was curious if Autodesk has provided a method in ACAD  2018 or 2019.

These drawings are for a municipality which allows signed & sealed PDF permit plans to be submitted with cryto-encoded Digital ID's which can be verified by a trusted 3rd party Certification Authority, in lieu of the traditional hardcopy plots with wet signature and embossed seal. Yes, Digital Signatures - NOT just Electronic Signatures.

I don't want to apply a Digital Signature to the AutoCAD files; I want to apply them to the PDFs, but possibly via a "smart signature field" which can be detected by Acrobat (or Bluebeam) after the drawing is plotted to a PDF with the DWG to PDF.pc3. Alternatively, if this can be done  with the Acrobat or Bluebeam PDF print driver from AutoCAD - that would be great, too. I don't have the Bluebeam plug-in in AutoCAD (2018) because my version of Bluebeam is too old to support ACAD 2018.

Someone said that adding Digital Signature fields in Bluebeam is the way to go. We also have Bluebeam but have to add the Digital Signature field one at a time on each PDF sheet and it gets time consuming for larger projects. I'd like to put an AutoCAD Signature Field in my DWG sheet template so the work only needs to be done once - and then our engineer (or designee) can just click to sign the plotted PDFs which have Signature fields, ready and waiting.

Has anyone been able to automate this process in AutoCAD, to a degree - without spending a fortune on 3rd party plug-in apps?

It's almost the year 2020 - I don't expect a flying car - but Autodesk should have warehouses of programmers working on this by now 😕

Message 10 of 10

Thanks Macia!

We did some testing with the Bluebeam Revu x64 eXtreme 2017 plug-in in AutoCAD 2018 and adding signature fields worked pretty well.  We then upgraded Bluebeam and AutoCAD to 2019 but the ability to add signature fields was gone.  We opened a ticket with Bluebeam and they responded saying that they were discontinuing this feature.  Have you found a work around?

Regards,
Jeremy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost