Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Blocks into tool palettes - error message.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
luke
2824 Views, 4 Replies

Adding Blocks into tool palettes - error message.

Hello, wondering if anyone has had the same sort of problem...

When I try and load in a load of blocks to a palette from a file using the design centre, it will not let me add them. I have to manually click onto each one and then add them, however when doing this the error message "Drawing does not contain any block definitions" appears. All the drawings are blocks as downloaded from a network.Does anyone know of this problem/have any solutions??

Thanks, Luke.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: luke

Do you have the blocks inside a container drawing, and then pull them onto your palettes via the DC?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 3 of 5
luke
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

I have one block per drawing and around 300 files. What do you mean by inside a container drawing?

Message 4 of 5
pendean

The error message is quite specific: the file you selected does not have any blocks in it.

A drawing file with blocks defined in it is called a... container file. It 'contains' block objects.

A block exported as an external file does not contain any blocks, since it is the block: hence the error message. Looks like you where trying to use the wrong tool to achieve what you wanted to do.
Message 5 of 5
Bob_Zurunkle

...therefore OP, start a new drawing and save it by some common name (I use Channel for one, Wing Shapes for another etc). Then insert a number of related blocks into that file ( I have various Unistrut channel blocks in my Channel container drawing for example). Save that drawing file but don't close it yet.

Now, open both your tool palette and the Design Center. In the DC select your container drawing's sub-list of blocks. You'll see little preview images of each block that is within the container drawing. Click and drag one from the DC onto your tool palette, then another and so on.

It's that easy to populate a tool palette! Just remember to never relocate or rename the path to the container drawing or you'll have to do it all over. Good luck! 🙂

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost