Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding a value to a dimension

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
xanadugod
5065 Views, 15 Replies

adding a value to a dimension

Is there a way to make a dimension style that will automatically add a particular value to the dimension amount?

Example:  actual dimension in decimal mode is 17.0 but i want the dimension to be displayed 21.0 (automatically adding 4.0 to it).

Please advise & thank you,

E.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
pendean
in reply to: xanadugod

Nothing automated to do that in the program.
Message 3 of 16
hwalker

I would suggesting scaling your dimfactor up by 1.2352941176470588235294117647059

Which is 21/17

eg. your dim factor is 10 your dim factor will become 12.352941176470588235294117647059

I used the normal windows calculator which is why there are so many decimal places

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 4 of 16
maxim_k

Hi,

You can try to use Tolerances, but then - you will get two values - real and "corrected":

Screen Shot 2013-11-14 at 14.18.55.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-14 at 14.17.00.png

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 16
maxim_k
in reply to: hwalker

OP asked about adding fixed value to dimension, but when you change DIMLFAC, each dimension value will be multiplied by value of DIMLFAC.

For example: OP asked to add 4 to measured dimension and get 21 instead of 17.
OK let's divide 21/17=1.235294117647059, then when measured distance is 17 you will get 21 and it is OK. But let's suppose that measurement is 100, then dim value will be 123.5 if you change DIMLFAC, but not 104 (100+4) as OP want it to be.

That are my thoughts. Maybe OP meant multiplication, then I'm not correct.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 6 of 16
Charles_Shade
in reply to: maxim_k

Strange request any way you slice it.

IMHO it would be easier to just override each dimension manually.

Message 7 of 16
xanadugod

the only thing is that by overriding the dimension would become time consuming as i have a situation that calls for a large number of dimensions

i understand the tolerance option but do not want that displayed

as for the scale factor, that will not work either as it would not apply to a constant situation

(i.e. the 17.0 to 21.0 versus the 100 to 104 scenario which would actually take the 100 to 123/+)

thanks for all the replies

keep them coming if there is any hope in making this happen

Message 8 of 16
ggunn

It's kind of a weird request. An additive value to all dimensions will seriously misrepresent the aspect ratios of all your features, especially the smaller ones.

Message 9 of 16
Imui
in reply to: ggunn

Hello,

Have you tried scaleing the entire drawing?

Message 10 of 16
maxim_k

Hi xanadugod,

It seems I have found what you need.

You can change default dimension text with a help of simple AutoLISP routine (attached ZIP archive with .LSP file).

After you put dimensions, load the routine and you can use 3 commands:

1) DimAdd, you insert your value for add (or subtract if negative) and select dimension. Command has a filter for Dimension object, if you select a circle or line it is ignored.
This routine change text, in a internal database the text is stored with DXF 1, original value is DXF=42, these numbers you see in my routine
2) DimReset reset dimension to original value, because DXF 1 is stored to "" string
3) DimAddC permit add value to current text value, not original value. Example if you have line lenght 10, you have text=10, then use DimAdd and sum 100 obtain 110. With DimAddC you can add 20 to 110 and obtain 130, but with DimAdd you obtain 10+20=30 because refer to original length

And here is the source:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120312141641AAuIu8m

All kudos goes there Smiley Happy

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 11 of 16
pendean

No lisp in LT for anyone thinking this topic has a solution.
Message 12 of 16
maxim_k
in reply to: pendean

Hi Dean,

You are right - my bad here.

Sorry about the confusion...

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 13 of 16
steven-g

I would create a block to look like a DIM using a line, use an attribute with a field to report the length of the line with a built in field formula to add 4 to the length. Insert the block at one point for the DIM then select the block and have a stretch action to place the other end of the DIM. It is slightly more work than normal dims because you need the additional click to activate the block before you can stretch it. It does have the advantage that with the measurement being an attribute, you can export all the DIMS out. I would personally make it stand out from normal dims (color or similar) just to avoid anyone elses confusion.

Message 14 of 16
pdonald001
in reply to: ggunn

It's not a weird request. I would like this option too, because when we produce long sections for roading construction (for example), we are required to show them at a distorted scale (5:1). A datum is applied to the section, so if you want to do a dimension from the datum line to the "road" line, you will get a number that is five times the actual distance (you can scale the dimension to have this read the correct value), and then you have to add the datum number to it to get the actual measurement. If you could automate this process, it would be handy.

Message 15 of 16
pendean
in reply to: pdonald001

Message 16 of 16
pdonald001
in reply to: pendean

I'm using LT. I am trying the solution suggested by @steven-g , which could work. But I am doing a lot of googling to figure out how to do each of the steps. Will compile instructions once I have a workable solution.

I don't find a link to Google search results particularly constructive, though I appreciate that you responded. I mainly commented because people were saying they didn't see the point of @xanadugod 's question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost