Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACACD LT 2010 VERY slow startup on Win7 64-bit

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
splash.eng
2731 Views, 26 Replies

ACACD LT 2010 VERY slow startup on Win7 64-bit

What is wrong with AutoCAD LT 2010 on my machine? It takes MINUTES to start on my "fast" computer!

My old motherboard just died and I replaced it (ASrock 970Extreme4) and added an AMD FX 8350 CPU: Eight cores at 4Gig. And 8 Gig RAM. Had to change to Windows 7, Home Premium. 64-bit. Monitor is 23-inch Samsung Syncmaster 2343. Same as prior. New 750 Watt Power Supply. Same Logitech Wirelaess trackball (mouse) and keyboard as before.
Video card is ATI ALL-in-Wonder TV Tuner card - same as previously. Moderate graphic card, but not junk, for sure. Windows 7 shows computer performance at 5.6 out of possible 7.9. CPU/RAM are 7.8. HDD is 5.9.

RE-installed ACAD LT 2010. I didn't change any defaults. Didn't seem to work (I didn't realize how slow it was). Re-tried after copying DVD to HDD. Seemed OK, but very slow to start ACAD. VERY, VERY SLOW! Start-up times almost 5 min.! On a fast machine, not a slow, old one. Often 2 min., and normally at best 1 to 2 min. This is not right! When I was running XP, it was a few seconds, with a machine a dual core 2.3 Gig each.

Now, with a much faster machine, taking more than 10 TIMES as long as when I had Win XP! Once, and only once, it only took 18 seconds - long but livable. That was when I removed Start in UserDataCache from the desktop shortcut, but I don't get that time anymore - just over 1 minute usually is the best. I've even double-clicked the acadlt.exe file directly. Still very slow.

I've tried numerous things, without a seemingly reliable change or real cure.
And while ACAD LT is starting, it seems to almost freeze the machine - other programs are also very slow, so I can't just do something else while waiting. Browsers start like molasses . . .
Reducing my screen resolution seems to reduce the time, but not nearly enough. "Recommended" by Win 7 is 2048x1142. Stepping down, even way down, changes ACAD start time from 3 or 4 or 5 minutes to 2 or 1+. And it isn't consistent, other than being unreasonably long.
I made sure I was Registered and Activated - a painful process.
I applied Update 2, not bad.
Update 1 - I couldn't tell what the hell version information they referred to - "If your product is version D.55.0.0 (UNICODE)" where in the hell do I find that???? So no Update 1.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334435&linkID=9240818#section5
Cleared Internet Explorer's "Publishers Certificate Revocation" per a tip.
Set STARTUP to 1, since sometimes I could see that "half" the delay was ACAD starting the civil template, but not always. This generates an Open A Drawing dialog box.
Added /nohardware to the startup shortcut. I initially ALSO had a problem with the screen dimming, which MAY be related to resolution, but the dimming is now hardly perceptible, even when at full screen resolution. (There are lots of posts on the web about that, too.)

This is more than just a minor irritation! Autodesk must know what the program is doing, or trying to do, when starting up, and there are lots of posts about this kind of problem, but posts and forums and possible solutions are all over the place. A program costing $850 should at least have a method to fix this if they can't prevent it. Is the program looking for files? Looking for drivers? Connecting to the internet? Checking license/serial number?

Then, I started testing. (I AM an engineer.) When ACAD starts, it is just a grey dialog box saying AutoCad LT 2010 in the top line, with an "hourglass" cursor whenever it is on the dialog box. Then, eventually, the small Startup Open a Drawing box appears where I can select the file to open. I click a file, and within a few blinks, there is there is the drawing. I timed the time to that box for much of today!

1:19 with resolution at 1680x1050
3:09 resolution at 1920x1280, then I just retried, with no other configuration changes, just minimal computer use:
1:05
3:08
1:12
4 seconds!
4 seconds
4:30
2:10
4:10
4 seconds, but then a minute + more to Open the file
4 seconds, then a minute+ to Open the file
3:17
2:08
1:30
1:09
1:16
Try adding UserDataCache back to Start-in, even though I can't see such a folder or file:
2:03
7 seconds! AND a quick Open file.
Try the AutoCAD standard original desktop shortcut once: 4:09
1:10
2:07
4 seconds, and a quick Open File.

Autodesk experts, there has to be an explanation for the fluctuating times. HELP! Obviously something is not right. The short times show that the machine works as expected when "allowed to," but usually something is slowing the process down.

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
pendean
in reply to: splash.eng

You wrote: "...other programs are also very slow, so I can't just do something else .."
So like AutoCAD they take a long time to open too?
Does it speed up if you unplug your PC from your network/Internet (just unplug the cable)?
What does Windows System Monitor report as going on?
What other programs are running? Why? Do you know how to turn them all off? Does it help?
Is your phone or other device plugged into the PC too?
Why did you write "reinstall" for LT if this is a new PC, are you using an old harddrive? What kind of harddrive?
Message 3 of 27
Charles_Shade

AutoCAD LT 2010 is rated for Windows 7 Home Premium both 32 and 64 bit. Are you using a 32 bit program on a 64 bit OS?

Did you install as an Administrator? First open CAD as an Administrator?

Are these too 32 bit based programs being used in a 64 bit environment?

Did you try installing those 32 bit programs in XP emulation mode? Maybe these cannot handle the 64 bit environment?

Did you expect that whoever developed the programs you installed just gave you the 64 bit version incase you needed to change the OS?

If other programs are also painfully slow did you consider your home build skills for replacing the Motherboard?

If you are now having dimming problems with the Monitor could that be related to the new build?

Your treatise reads as though there is a lot more going on than just a long startup time for a single program.

Message 4 of 27
splash.eng
in reply to: pendean

Reply to Pendean:

Other programs was whatever happened to be open - typically Windows Explorer or a browser. They open normally, UNLESS ACAD is in the middle of starting - like ACAD is using all the resources.  Often like a partial freeze - when moving a program's window leaves a blank/white space where it was until the computer finishes and then catches up.  The other programs, and ACAD,  act fine once ACAD opens up. It may not sound like much, but waiting 2 to 4 minutes for a program is quite boring, so sometimes I'd fire up a browser, and it'd start like molasses.

I don't know "Windows System Monitor" - I'll look into that next.

Any other programs running were just what was open - like Explorer, when you double-click a file to start it. Or have a browser open looking for help.  Except background stuff, which I haven't investigated.  Another item for my to-do list. Like anti-virus . . . .  During the lengthy time checking sequence, I had nothing else running except "invisible" normal transparent stuff. So I turned all "active" programs off, but not background.

Phone goes through computer, so will try turning it off.

I re-installed it because the first installation seemd to have failed. When I started ACAD LT 2010 the first time, it appeared stalled when the grey dialog box just sat there for minutes with the hourglass cusor showing. Don't remember how I terminated it. But the next day I did a bit of forum searching, then copied the install DVD to the HDD and intalled it again.  Then I waited the 4 or more minutes and saw that eventually it worked. Thought I was good until I had closed ACAD then re-started it, and found it took forever.

The hard drive for Win 7 is new, a 1T Toshiba HD purchased with the new MB, CPU and RAM.  Sorry - forgot that in the list.

So Pendean gives me 3 tasks:

1. Windows System Monitor

2. Unplug internet and phone

3. Turn off even background programs.

Rich

Message 5 of 27
pendean

Autodesk has a detailed uninstall procedure that requires manual editing of the Windows Registry. Find it around these forums then do it.
Unplug any external devices attached to the PC.
Uninstall all instancea of .NET and Visual C++.
Use a good Windows Registry Cleaner afterwards (I like one called CCLEANER) and repeat until no errors are found.
Restart Windows.
Shut down all apps running, especially background apps.
Install LT. Test it with your PC unplugged from your network/Internet. Turn off Cloud Services.
Plug back into your network/internet. trst again.
Results?
Message 6 of 27
splash.eng
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Reply to Charles:

ACAD LT 2010 says it automatically senses/chooses 32-bit vs 64-bit. It installed into the 64-bit location: Program Files. 32-bit programs so far have all put themselves in Program Files (x86). If I have downloaded new versions, I now choose the Win 7 version. But that doesn't seem to be a big deal.

I am the only user on this machine so I have administrator status - I often see the UAC box when I want to delete a file or folder or install a program and I have to click Yes to continue.

I have not tried XP mode for anything.  Every program I've installed in the last two weeks of re-starting the computer from scratch has automatically installed in the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders by their own choice. All have worked normally. ACAD is the only one to act oddly. And it works, but hit has a terribly slow start.

AutoCAD is the ONLY slow program, all others are fine.  Unless, perhaps, I try to start them when the computer is busy starting ACAD. I have on other performance porblems whatsoever except AutoCAD. That I know of, anyway.

The dimming problem with the monitor no longer occurs, except for a tiny, unnoticed amount.  I'm not targeting this as an issue, but I don't want to hide any info either. Initially, it was significant.  Once ACAD started, it would dim by perhaps 30-40%. But right click on the screen, and the "properties" box would pop up fine and the screen would instantly brighten fully. Finish the command process and the screen would dim again.  But between implementing the forum suggestions that has gone away.  There is a VERY SLIGHT change between brightness of no-action screen versus screen with a right-click box open, but I have to actively watch the menu bars to see any difference. A non-issue to me.

Sorry my treatise seems extensive. As with Pendean, most forums say " what about this and that, and I've tried to give all the info at first.

But the only problem I know of is that ACAD LT starts terribly slowly.  Every other program seems absolutely normal.

Unless ACAD is opening.  Example, while writing this post, I opened ACAD, twice.  First time took 3.5 minutes, but at 1:30 it turned white and at the end a box appeared (Accelerate Software Improvements) asking me if I want to be in the Customer Involvement Program by sending stats to autodesk. (This kind of thing is a POSSIBLE cause for starting slow). While waiting, I clicked on the browser window to bring it forward so I could type.  It took a minute to come forward. When ACAD is NOT starting, that action is essentially instantaneous.

Rich

Message 7 of 27
splash.eng

Ok.  That's take quite a bit of time... I'll work on it later today.

I haven't yet installed CCLeaner on this machine, but now is the time.

Waht about other programs that use .Net or C++?  (My TV PVR.)  Re-install them later and see what happens, after analyzing ACAD?

Message 8 of 27
splash.eng

I found this for full unistall of all autodes products:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2887771&linkID=9240617

Will do it.

Message 9 of 27
TravisNave

Definitely try yanking the ethernet cable, if you haven't already, per Dean.  You want to eliminate the slowdown of resolving broken links, digital signatures, and other mapped drive issues. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 10 of 27
pendean

Once it's all working, WIndows Update will put back any .NET and Visual C++ needed for other applications installed on your PC.
Message 11 of 27
splash.eng

OK.  Will it matter whether I install from the DVD or the files copied to a hard drive?

Message 12 of 27
pendean

I prefer to copy the DVD to the PC then install it.
Message 13 of 27
splash.eng

Since last posts I have done the complete uninstall/reinstall per Dean's directions 3 times. First time I effected changes right away in ACD - cursor lines and black background. Black background made screen dim!!! AND I got slow times. So I tried again from scratch. Still got some slow times, so I set it aside, and started fresh this morning. Carefully followed Dean's directions and the manual/complete uninstall, then reinstalled ACAD LT 2010 without the Design Review part that is an option.
Everything is unconnected except mouse, keyboard, sound card and monitor.
Uninstalled my Avast AV because I wasn't positive it was fully off. Windows Task Manager showed no Applications running, and just a few processes - screen shot attached of those if I remember to do so. So fully stripped down. Stuff turned off via msconfig , etc.

Upon start, there is the quick flash of the start screen (typical), then the questions of Civil or other discipline, then default start file, then Start autoCAD LT.
Then 3:11 to the New Features screen.
Note: I am at full resolution on my monitor, as Win 7 "recommends,": 2048x1142
then I do a series of "start ACAD" with some modifications, and track the time to "started" . . . Typically, but not always the time is to the dialog box to choose a file, and that opens in a couple blinks. But once in a while it takes another minute or so. ???
2:11 to the drawing template, dwt, 3:09 finish
In ACAD, Set STARTUP to 1, to avoid template and give a dialog box to choose a file, my normal start type.
10 seconds
2:07 - I see box about Show Partner Projects - say No - Don't show Again
3 seconds to the file!
3 seconds
2:00
3 seconds
2:07
3:08
2:06
4:10
Not great results, to say the least. CONNECT Cat5E cable to Internet. Continue testing
3 seconds
3 seconds, but slow to the file, 1:12 total
3:10
3 seconds
3:10, and slow to the file
4:23

I'm clueless. Suggestions? This is driving me crazy.

Next I'll install an AV, then test again.

Message 14 of 27
splash.eng

Additional info - status unchanged - variable start times.

Is system "busy" while ACAD is starting slowly?  During a couple of the starts I fired up Windows Task Manager, where I could see it while ACAD starts.  Did NOT show system stress - CPU at 2-5% or even 0, and RAM use at maybe 12-15%.

But I tried opening up a program while the ACAD start was underway with its greay box.  Notepad or similar. Normally maybe a count of 4 or 5 seconds.  But with ACAD in iits start state, Notepad took 30 seconds or so.  But then I was able to enter text normally.

Just digging for clues or explanation or additional information.

Rich

Message 15 of 27
pendean

Boot your system into safe mode. No network connection, no tv driver, no any driver, nothing. Clean safe mode. Start LT and test it with a local file. Any such delays persist?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-computer-safe-mode#start-computer-safe-mode=windows...
Message 16 of 27
splash.eng

Darn it!  That doesn't seem to work.

First try - the OS said, ACAD requires 1024x768 resolution ot better to run.

So I restarted in Safe Mode, and was able to reset  - tried that level and the one above.

Double-clicking the ACAD shortcut icon got me maybe  2 to 4 seconds on the ACAD LT splash screen, then a flash of the grey dialog box, then just the desktop, with no activity nor hourglass cursor.  Waited for minutes.  Nothing.

Tried agin - same thing.

Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, which promptly gave me the menu screen.  Chose - Run Task Manager.  Showed zero Applications.  No indication that ACAD was trying to run.

Tried all again - same  "nothing" after the Splash then grey.

Suggestions?

Message 17 of 27
drjohn

Fleeting thought,  when ACAD starts, look in task manager (in processes tab) for a second session of ACAD.  I have seen that happen before when ACAD won't run properly.  Probably not there but worth a look.

2 cents

HTH

Regards,

DJ

Message 18 of 27
splash.eng

Worth a try, but the tirst two times I made that check I only had one instance of acadlt.exe.  Then, once it started, I had the , uh, wsCommCenter1.exe or whatever it is.

Thanks anyhow.

Message 19 of 27
Charles_Shade

I know the desire not to install programs or muck with stuff that is posted online but Manusoft is good and the advice has been around for a while for the Communications Center

http://otb.manusoft.com/2010/11/disable-autocad-infocenter.htm

http://manusoft.com/software/freebies/misc.html

Message 20 of 27
drjohn
in reply to: Charles_Shade

+1 with Charlie ... WSCommcenter was a thorn in my side until I disabled it.

Take Charles' advice and run with it.

Regards,

DJ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost