AutoCAD LT General Discussion

AutoCAD LT General Discussion

Sundowner
Message 1 of 2 (140 Views)

2004 LT on a dead hard drive...

140 Views, 1 Replies
10-01-2012 07:48 AM

Okay...so my hard drive is mostly dead.  It completely shut down on me but I managed to get it temporarily working again via the freezer trick, and I've kept it running long enough to get a clone made on an external drive...but I can't seem to get AutoCAD to run from the external drive when I plug that drive into another computer.  The program will fire up and run while it's plugged into the somehow-still-running computer with the mostly-dead hard drive, but I get an error message that says AutoCAD is missing a .dll file whenever I try to run it on the laptop.  It also suggets re-installing the program, but the issue here is that I don't have my 2004 LT disk anymore; where it's gone is anyone's guess.

So, questions: shouldn't the cloned drive contain everything that's needed to run the program?  How on earth do I transfer the program from one drive to another?  I've got another internal drive that's sitting here ready to be installed, but until I can get the program safely moved onto an external drive I can't shut the computer down to install the new internal hard drive...it may never come back on.

Any help is much appreciated.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 2 (126 Views)

Re: 2004 LT on a dead hard drive...

10-01-2012 11:56 AM in reply to: Sundowner

The Clone/External Drive is not Drive C:

The program is looking for a DLL on Drive C:

Most likely the issue.

Location coding is based on program installation, not any other program that comes later and moves it all around.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!