Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a given radius circle, that passes through a point and is tangent to another circle.

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
armaangohil
423 Views, 10 Replies

Creating a given radius circle, that passes through a point and is tangent to another circle.

I am trying to create a circle, whose radius is given to me. I want that circle to pass through, a point and should be tangent to another circle.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
RobDraw
in reply to: armaangohil

You will need a third circle use the center of the circle you want to be tangent to with a radius equal to the distance of the point from the center. Draw the other circle tangent to the given circle anywhere. Then rotate it using the intersection of the circles that you want at the point.

Hope that makes sense.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 11
hwalker

See the image below

Capture.JPG

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 4 of 11
Washingtonn
in reply to: RobDraw

Visual of what RobDraw said....

Washingtonn_0-1671115865468.png

Message 5 of 11
armaangohil
in reply to: Washingtonn

Thank for recreating the visuals. An easier introduction for a new learner like me to the software.

Message 6 of 11
armaangohil
in reply to: RobDraw

Thank you RobDraw for the solution.
Message 7 of 11
armaangohil
in reply to: hwalker

Thanks for replying a different visualization to problem.
Message 8 of 11
armaangohil

Only works if the radius(cr) = distance(point, outer circumference point of C) | Not a universal answer
Message 9 of 11
Washingtonn

There is no universal answer  - you specified a circle of known radius to pass through a point and be tangent to an unknown circle.

For points inside the unknown circle -> anywhere provided that the known circle radius is equal to 1/2 the radius of the unknown circle. A larger or smaller known circle radius will reduce available tangent point placements.

For points outside the unknown circle -> locations no more than twice the radius of the known circle away from the perimeter of the unknown circle. The circle cannot pass through points located beyond that distance and still be tangent to the unknown circle.

Message 10 of 11
RobDraw

Sure there are null solutions and a single radius that will hit the point only once but beyond that minimum, there are two possible solutions for every radius larger than the previously mentioned possibilities. 

In the context of this thread, the given solution is quite easily proven. 

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 11 of 11
armaangohil

Finally, I tried it again. With the help of geometry, I was able to create the circle.

Condition for the radius of the circle to be drawn is as specified by you.

Creating 2 locus:

Circle of radius to the drawn, should be created with given point as center for the circle.

Difference in radius, given circle and the circle to be drawn. Center of the given radius circle.

The intersection point gives us the center point for the circle to be created. We already know the radius, and hence create the circle.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost