Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad LT 2008 won't start

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
cbrnc123
2600 Views, 23 Replies

Autocad LT 2008 won't start

A few days ago, AutoCAD LT 2008 suddenly refused to start. No error message, no hourglass, nothing. I uninstalled AutoCAD, all program file folders, and Registry entries, and re-installed the program. Still nothing. Does anyone have ideas or suggestions?
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: cbrnc123

Use Windows Restore feature (too late to reverse your issue, should have
been your first attempt) and see what else got installed or updated on your
PC when it died and see if uninstalling that helps.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 3 of 24
cbrnc123

Deleted the re-installed AutoCAD LT 2008 session, plus all residual files and folders, and then all references in the Windows Registry. Deleted all programs and Windows updates that were installed after May 22nd (the last successful AutoCAD session was May 28th). Re-installed AutoCAD LT 2008 with no problems, but still the program will not start. Zilch. I am out of ideas, short of (oh, Lord) a complete Windows re-install ... and what if that doesn't work?
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous

Seems to be a plague of no LT starts, and none are the same version.

Did you by chance install a Windows or software patch, or worse, IE8
recently?

Look up a recent post by bryantgw, I posted a suggestion, see if that works
for you too.

--
Dean Saadallah
--
Message 5 of 24
cbrnc123

Dean Saadallah: Yes, that was it: Data Execution Prevention. I turned it off for AutoCAD LT ... and now it starts normally. Thanks! I have a lot of work to do this weekend. --Chris Robbins
Message 6 of 24
Anonymous

Dean,

Thanks for the link and the info on the other thread. I just logged onto the forum because my laptop had been doing the same thing. I had tried everything and was getting very frustrated so it was a relief to find a simple fix like that. Thanks again.

Matt
Message 7 of 24
Anonymous

I am having the same problem with my Autocad 2008 LT. Everything was fine until yesterday.
Now, my Autocad 2008 LT does not allow me to open files. I can open file listed historically
in file drop-box, but, when I try opening different file from hard-drive, I get "does not respond"
message. I tried doing a System Restore, but, XP does not restore previous settings.
I can go on-line, open other application software files, and use my old Autocad LT 98
without problems. But, when I try opening Autocad 2008 LT file, my computer locks up.

Should I try re-installing Autocad from installation CD again? If yes, do I need to un-install
current Autocad 2008 LT?

I need help too!

Cadman808
Message 8 of 24
Anonymous

Did you actually try the suggestion above that seems to work? Your reply
indicates not.

>>>...Everything was fine until yesterday...<<<
You may have installed or upgrade something: System Restore is great at
telling you what those changes are, reverse them manually.

--
Dean Saadallah
--
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous

Yes, I tried RESTORE several times, but, XP prompts a message saying could not restore. So, I tried Data Execution Prevention, but, there were only two choices, "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs...." and "Turn on DEP for all programs...". I tried both options, but Autocad 2008 still locked up, when I tried File Open command. Then, I removed Autocad 2008 LT, and re-installed, but problem still persists. During re-install process XP prompted error message, so, I think I might have a bigger problem on hand. I think I dug a bigger hole than before, but, I needed to try something to get going. Problem might be my computer, because I used Autocad 2008 LT in my office computer, and have no problems. My problem is on my home computer. BTW, both computers used XP Profession O/S.
Message 10 of 24
Charles_Shade

That may be a Windows SNAFU if it is not allowing you to Restore.
Message 11 of 24
Anonymous

From XP Help:

To turn Data Execution Prevention on or off for a program

If you suspect that a program does not run correctly when DEP is turned on,
check for a DEP-compatible version or update from the software publisher
before you change any DEP settings.

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators
group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to
a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing
this procedure.
1.. To open System Properties, click Start, click Control Panel, click
Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
2.. Click the Advanced tab and, under Performance, click Settings.
3.. Click the Data Execution Prevention tab.
4.. In the Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select
list, do one of the following:
a.. To turn off DEP for a program, select the check box next to the
program name and click OK. (If the name of the program doesn't appear in the
list, click Add, navigate to your Program Files folder, select the program's
executable file which will have an .exe file extension, and click OK).
- or -

b.. To turn on DEP for a program, clear the check box next to the
program name, and then click OK.

--
Dean Saadallah
--
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous

Thinking back, I think this problem began after I patched Norton 360 update to my computer.
Prior to update, I had no problem. I wonder if I disabled Norton, problem will go away.
Message 13 of 24
Anonymous

OK....Right now, when I go into DEP tab, I see only Window Help and Support box. I need to search
program file for exe file. Thanks for your help. I was wondering where you find Autocad box.
Message 14 of 24
Charles_Shade

You'll hear from here to dump the Norton soonest
Message 15 of 24
Anonymous

See attached screenshot and steps to take: if you don't see these, your XP
is messed up beyond any repair from here.

--
Dean Saadallah
--
Message 16 of 24
Anonymous

Norton has a patch for it's POS, get it from them, it's hidden/buried.

--
Dean Saadallah
--
Message 17 of 24
Anonymous

I do get those Windows XP pop-ups, but, decided to let my IT guy tackle this problem. After seeing Windows XP
error messages pop-up during re-installing Autocad 2008 LT, I think I need to resolve Windows XP problems first.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Message 18 of 24
andybag

I am having a similar problem on a Vista Ultimate 32 bit system, on a clean install of AutoCAD LT 2008 I get the following application error:

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150004). Click OK to terminate the application.

After clicking OK Windows pops up and says that service pack 1 will fix the error - it doesn't. I have tried repairing the installation, uninstalling and re-installing, turning DEP on and off, uninstalling using REVO Uninstall and re-install AND rolling the windows install back all attempts have been performed with full admin privileges nothing that I have found on these forums seems to work.

Any help received will be greatly appreciated.

Andrew
Message 19 of 24
Anonymous

Well, I had to remove and re-install Windows XP to solve problem with Autocad LT 2008 freezing up when trying to open files from hard-drive. It seems problem was Windows XP related. Reloaded Norton 360, and back in business. So far, Autocad LT 2008 is running and stable. I wanted to mention, this discussion board is great. Good to know there's help around, when you hit a dead end.

Cadman808
Message 20 of 24
Anonymous

To install Autocad 2009 on Windows Vista Home.

Install the latest VC++ redistributable from this location.

KB961894 - VC++ Post 2005 SP1 Redistributable
http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB961894/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=2067

This will solve the issue of "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150004)" when starting Acad.exe.

Regards,
Binooplal P.I

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost