Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What way to go??

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
185 Views, 7 Replies

What way to go??

Please I need some advise. With all the chopping and changing of programs (the dropping of the Civil series and the introduction of new programs like Map 3d etc.) I'm not sure what way to go. At the moment I have only Land Development 2004 (not Civil). The type of work I do is Municipal infrastructure design (Roads, storm water, sewer, a bit of water and some grading ). I would also need some thing like Raster Design. At the moment I use a program from Knowlagebase and wish to change all to Autodesk. What is the best route to go? Do I upgrade Land Development, get Civil Design and Raster Design - Do I get Map 3D or what? Your input and advice would be much appreciated. Rob Pickers
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Rob, To do Municipal work you will get a huge advantage in having Civil Design when compared with just Land Desktop.. If you buy Civil Design on subscription you will automatically get Civil 3D for familiarisation. Map 3D is simply a version of Civil 3D with no Civil Engineering features and would be much less useful than Land Desktop. Long term you will probably end up using Civil 3D. Raster Design is a separate purchase and, I think, can run on any of the above platforms. I would buy it and run it on your current Land Desktop. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "Rob Pickers" wrote in message news:41206744_2@newsprd01... > Please I need some advise. With all the chopping and changing of programs > (the dropping of the Civil series and the introduction of new programs like > Map 3d etc.) I'm not sure what way to go. > > At the moment I have only Land Development 2004 (not Civil). The type of > work I do is Municipal infrastructure design (Roads, storm water, sewer, a > bit of water and some grading ). I would also need some thing like Raster > Design. At the moment I use a program from Knowlagebase and wish to change > all to Autodesk. > > What is the best route to go? Do I upgrade Land Development, get Civil > Design and Raster Design - Do I get Map 3D or what? > > Your input and advice would be much appreciated. > > Rob Pickers > > >
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

"Rob Pickers" wrote in message news:41206744_2@newsprd01... > Please I need some advise. With all the chopping and changing of programs > (the dropping of the Civil series and the introduction of new programs like > Map 3d etc.) I'm not sure what way to go. > > At the moment I have only Land Development 2004 (not Civil). The type of > work I do is Municipal infrastructure design (Roads, storm water, sewer, a > bit of water and some grading ). I would also need some thing like Raster > Design. At the moment I use a program from Knowlagebase and wish to change > all to Autodesk. I have been for years, and still am, a 'fan' of AutoCad, however I don't share the same opinion of Land, etc. Is there a reason for wanting to "change all to AutoDesk"? IMO, that's an irrational starting point and potentially leads to poor decisions.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Map 3d is simply the Map version that comes with Land 2005. It does add some features that would be useful to users who don't have Land Desktop (ie..the ability to immport and manipulate point objects and to create DTM's). However, since you have Land 2004 then you have Map already and should know what value it is to your operation. In my opinion you would not gain much by upgrading to Land 2005. As for the pipe works in Civil Design, I have not worked with it as a civil design tool (mainly for layout purposes only). I have heard enough complaints about it to say you might be better off using another 3rd party application. The grading tools in Civil are quite useful if you need to do site design and the road design tools are quite useful as well. In fact I don't know how you are getting by without them if you are doing road designs. You don't mention why you need Raster Design, but if you need to geo-rectify raster images you would need something similar to raster design. You should know that Raster Design can cannot edit SID images. You can use Civil 3d with Land 2004 in case you were wondering. "Rob Pickers" wrote in message news:41206744_2@newsprd01... > Please I need some advise. With all the chopping and changing of programs > (the dropping of the Civil series and the introduction of new programs like > Map 3d etc.) I'm not sure what way to go. > > At the moment I have only Land Development 2004 (not Civil). The type of > work I do is Municipal infrastructure design (Roads, storm water, sewer, a > bit of water and some grading ). I would also need some thing like Raster > Design. At the moment I use a program from Knowlagebase and wish to change > all to Autodesk. > > What is the best route to go? Do I upgrade Land Development, get Civil > Design and Raster Design - Do I get Map 3D or what? > > Your input and advice would be much appreciated. > > Rob Pickers > > >
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

I have been using a package from Knowlagebase (knowlagebase.co.za) called Civil Designer up untill know to do the road, grading and water design. For Storm water and Sewer design I use a program from TechnoCAD (technocad.co.za) called PipeMate. PipeMate runs inside AutoCad and is quite good. The Package from Knowlagebase has its own Cad (AllyCad). I don't like AllyCAD (have used both Ally and Autocad both for about 15 years)- The DTM side is fair, Roads and water good. I know the DTM side of Land Development. Looking at all options and thought it would be easier to do all the work inside AutoCAD. Rob "Neil W" wrote in message news:4120b339$1_1@newsprd01... > Map 3d is simply the Map version that comes with Land 2005. It does add some > features that would be useful to users who don't have Land Desktop (ie..the > ability to immport and manipulate point objects and to create DTM's). > However, since you have Land 2004 then you have Map already and should know > what value it is to your operation. In my opinion you would not gain much by > upgrading to Land 2005. As for the pipe works in Civil Design, I have not > worked with it as a civil design tool (mainly for layout purposes only). I > have heard enough complaints about it to say you might be better off using > another 3rd party application. The grading tools in Civil are quite useful > if you need to do site design and the road design tools are quite useful as > well. In fact I don't know how you are getting by without them if you are > doing road designs. You don't mention why you need Raster Design, but if you > need to geo-rectify raster images you would need something similar to raster > design. You should know that Raster Design can cannot edit SID images. > > You can use Civil 3d with Land 2004 in case you were wondering. > > "Rob Pickers" wrote in message > news:41206744_2@newsprd01... > > Please I need some advise. With all the chopping and changing of programs > > (the dropping of the Civil series and the introduction of new programs > like > > Map 3d etc.) I'm not sure what way to go. > > > > At the moment I have only Land Development 2004 (not Civil). The type of > > work I do is Municipal infrastructure design (Roads, storm water, sewer, a > > bit of water and some grading ). I would also need some thing like Raster > > Design. At the moment I use a program from Knowlagebase and wish to change > > all to Autodesk. > > > > What is the best route to go? Do I upgrade Land Development, get Civil > > Design and Raster Design - Do I get Map 3D or what? > > > > Your input and advice would be much appreciated. > > > > Rob Pickers > > > > > > > >
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

You definitely want to do everything inside Autocad. Think of how much time you spend loading those other appplications and the headaches of converting data and keeping everything synchronized. "Rob Pickers" wrote in message news:4120bc40_3@newsprd01... > I have been using a package from Knowlagebase (knowlagebase.co.za) called > Civil Designer up untill know to do the road, grading and water design. For > Storm water and Sewer design I use a program from TechnoCAD > (technocad.co.za) called PipeMate. PipeMate runs inside AutoCad and is > quite good. The Package from Knowlagebase has its own Cad (AllyCad). I don't > like AllyCAD (have used both Ally and Autocad both for about 15 years)- The > DTM side is fair, Roads and water good. I know the DTM side of Land > Development. Looking at all options and thought it would be easier to do all > the work inside AutoCAD. > > Rob > > > "Neil W" wrote in message > news:4120b339$1_1@newsprd01... > > Map 3d is simply the Map version that comes with Land 2005. It does add > some > > features that would be useful to users who don't have Land Desktop > (ie..the > > ability to immport and manipulate point objects and to create DTM's). > > However, since you have Land 2004 then you have Map already and should > know > > what value it is to your operation. In my opinion you would not gain much > by > > upgrading to Land 2005. As for the pipe works in Civil Design, I have not > > worked with it as a civil design tool (mainly for layout purposes only). I > > have heard enough complaints about it to say you might be better off using > > another 3rd party application. The grading tools in Civil are quite useful > > if you need to do site design and the road design tools are quite useful > as > > well. In fact I don't know how you are getting by without them if you are > > doing road designs. You don't mention why you need Raster Design, but if > you > > need to geo-rectify raster images you would need something similar to > raster > > design. You should know that Raster Design can cannot edit SID images. > > > > You can use Civil 3d with Land 2004 in case you were wondering. > > > > "Rob Pickers" wrote in message > > news:41206744_2@newsprd01... > > > Please I need some advise. With all the chopping and changing of > programs > > > (the dropping of the Civil series and the introduction of new programs > > like > > > Map 3d etc.) I'm not sure what way to go. > > > > > > At the moment I have only Land Development 2004 (not Civil). The type of > > > work I do is Municipal infrastructure design (Roads, storm water, sewer, > a > > > bit of water and some grading ). I would also need some thing like > Raster > > > Design. At the moment I use a program from Knowlagebase and wish to > change > > > all to Autodesk. > > > > > > What is the best route to go? Do I upgrade Land Development, get Civil > > > Design and Raster Design - Do I get Map 3D or what? > > > > > > Your input and advice would be much appreciated. > > > > > > Rob Pickers > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

"Neil W" wrote in message news:4120d1c1_1@newsprd01... > You definitely want to do everything inside Autocad. Think of how much time > you spend loading those other appplications and the headaches of converting > data and keeping everything synchronized. There are other options which work inside AutoCad. Actually, some do work better with AutoCad than LDD, IMO of course.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks for all your help. Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report