cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
835 Views, 6 Replies

Tributary areas

Hi there. I'm using LDD 3/Survey/Civil. I have a surface built and two profiles of possible sanitary lines. I need to calculate the boundaries as to how far (perpindicular) from the profiles (every 100 sta's) the servicing can go. Make sense? I've been calculating it manually, but I'm wondering if there's a faster way using the software. Any ideas? Thanks, Jon
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Jon, If you design the sewer profile as a road profile, you can attach a simple template to model the vertical steps needed in the sewer connections, and then create cut batters as 1% (or whatever the allowed pipe slope is). The daylight lines of these batters will indicate the extent of area serviced by the sewer profile. Make sure you sample with an adequately wide value when sampling the cross sections. You can do a similar thing with grading objects starting with a 3D polyline of the profile. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "Jon" wrote in message news:421a353d_3@newsprd01... > Hi there. I'm using LDD 3/Survey/Civil. I have a surface built and two > profiles of possible sanitary lines. I need to calculate the boundaries > as to how far (perpindicular) from the profiles (every 100 sta's) the > servicing can go. Make sense? I've been calculating it manually, but I'm > wondering if there's a faster way using the software. Any ideas? > > Thanks, > > Jon
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Hey Jon; The only addition I would make to Laurie's suggestion is to not forget about depth of cover at the right-of-way for service laterals. Most of the agencies I've had dealings with here in the western US, it's somewhere between 3 and 6 feet. HTH -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "Laurie Comerford" wrote in message news:421a3e04_3@newsprd01... > Hi Jon, > > If you design the sewer profile as a road profile, you can attach a simple > template to model the vertical steps needed in the sewer connections, and > then create cut batters as 1% (or whatever the allowed pipe slope is). The > daylight lines of these batters will indicate the extent of area serviced by > the sewer profile. > > Make sure you sample with an adequately wide value when sampling the cross > sections. > > You can do a similar thing with grading objects starting with a 3D polyline > of the profile. > > -- > > > Laurie Comerford > CADApps > www.cadapps.com.au > > "Jon" wrote in message news:421a353d_3@newsprd01... > > Hi there. I'm using LDD 3/Survey/Civil. I have a surface built and two > > profiles of possible sanitary lines. I need to calculate the boundaries > > as to how far (perpindicular) from the profiles (every 100 sta's) the > > servicing can go. Make sense? I've been calculating it manually, but I'm > > wondering if there's a faster way using the software. Any ideas? > > > > Thanks, > > > > Jon > >
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Laurie Comerford wrote: > Hi Jon, > > If you design the sewer profile as a road profile, you can attach a simple > template to model the vertical steps needed in the sewer connections, and > then create cut batters as 1% (or whatever the allowed pipe slope is). The > daylight lines of these batters will indicate the extent of area serviced by > the sewer profile. > > Make sure you sample with an adequately wide value when sampling the cross > sections. > > You can do a similar thing with grading objects starting with a 3D polyline > of the profile. > Excellent! That's a neat trick (x-section method). It should make my life a lot easier. Thanks guys! Jon
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Laurie Comerford wrote: > Hi Jon, > > If you design the sewer profile as a road profile, you can attach a simple > template to model the vertical steps needed in the sewer connections, and > then create cut batters as 1% (or whatever the allowed pipe slope is). The > daylight lines of these batters will indicate the extent of area serviced by > the sewer profile. > > Make sure you sample with an adequately wide value when sampling the cross > sections. > > You can do a similar thing with grading objects starting with a 3D polyline > of the profile. > Okay, now after 6 hours I finally get to try this. I'm not overly familiar with the X-sections menu in Civil. I hate to ask, but can you give me a rundown on the process here? -In profile, I drew lines snapping to the inverts of my proposed sewer alignment. -I defined that as FG. -I sampled the area, making sure my swath distances are wide enough. -I then drew a symmetrical template. I'm not sure if I did this right.I went to Cross Sections > Draw Template, and I basically drew a pline from my reference point to the left, 20m long at 0.5% (min slope). But it's a single pline. Does this template need to be a closed figure? -Next, I gather, I must define the template. So, I pick my FG reference point, then I enter Yes for symmetrical, select my object, but is this a normal surface type or subgrade? -I picked my material (made one up - called it sewer). -I'm guessing my connection point out will be the upper-left end-point of my single pline? -So what's my datum number? And my datum points? I'm lost here because I only have a single pline.... -No subassembly? -Save my template. Then what? This is all a grey-area for me....I've created x-sections in LDD once; before that was C&G on R14 more than two years ago (and I'm running through the tut's now)!!! Thanks a bunch! Jon
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Jon wrote: > Laurie Comerford wrote: > >> Hi Jon, >> >> If you design the sewer profile as a road profile, you can attach a >> simple >> template to model the vertical steps needed in the sewer connections, and >> then create cut batters as 1% (or whatever the allowed pipe slope >> is). The >> daylight lines of these batters will indicate the extent of area >> serviced by >> the sewer profile. >> >> Make sure you sample with an adequately wide value when sampling the >> cross >> sections. >> >> You can do a similar thing with grading objects starting with a 3D >> polyline >> of the profile. >> > > Okay, now after 6 hours I finally get to try this. > > I'm not overly familiar with the X-sections menu in Civil. I hate to > ask, but can you give me a rundown on the process here? > -In profile, I drew lines snapping to the inverts of my proposed sewer > alignment. > -I defined that as FG. > -I sampled the area, making sure my swath distances are wide enough. > -I then drew a symmetrical template. I'm not sure if I did this right.I > went to Cross Sections > Draw Template, and I basically drew a pline > from my reference point to the left, 20m long at 0.5% (min slope). But > it's a single pline. Does this template need to be a closed figure? > -Next, I gather, I must define the template. So, I pick my FG reference > point, then I enter Yes for symmetrical, select my object, but is this a > normal surface type or subgrade? > -I picked my material (made one up - called it sewer). > -I'm guessing my connection point out will be the upper-left end-point > of my single pline? > -So what's my datum number? And my datum points? I'm lost here because I > only have a single pline.... > -No subassembly? > -Save my template. > Then what? This is all a grey-area for me....I've created x-sections in > LDD once; before that was C&G on R14 more than two years ago (and I'm > running through the tut's now)!!! > > Thanks a bunch! > > Jon Okay, I have it figured out now. Both methods Laurie mentioned. Of four proposed sewer routes I had one calc'd manually and both methods came pretty close to what I had (or I came close to the software).... Thanks guys for the help! Jon
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Hi Jon, Just quickly. Draw a polyline starting anywhere, then go 0.3m or 1 foot (Nominal half width of trench) left horizontally and then close it. Define the template from that, picking the starting point as the FG reference > -Next, I gather, I must define the template. So, I pick my FG reference > point, then I enter Yes for symmetrical, select my object, but is this a > normal surface type or subgrade? NORMAL > -I picked my material (made one up - called it sewer). OK > -I'm guessing my connection point out will be the upper-left end-point > of my single pline? YES > -So what's my datum number? And my datum points? I'm lost here because I > only have a single pline.... Datum 1 Pick Left end of polyline, then right end > -No subassembly? NO > -Save my template. YES There is a tutorial and help files on this. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "Jon" wrote in message news:421b7bc9_2@newsprd01... > Laurie Comerford wrote: > > Hi Jon, > > > > If you design the sewer profile as a road profile, you can attach a simple > > template to model the vertical steps needed in the sewer connections, and > > then create cut batters as 1% (or whatever the allowed pipe slope is). The > > daylight lines of these batters will indicate the extent of area serviced by > > the sewer profile. > > > > Make sure you sample with an adequately wide value when sampling the cross > > sections. > > > > You can do a similar thing with grading objects starting with a 3D polyline > > of the profile. > > > > Okay, now after 6 hours I finally get to try this. > > I'm not overly familiar with the X-sections menu in Civil. I hate to > ask, but can you give me a rundown on the process here? > -In profile, I drew lines snapping to the inverts of my proposed sewer > alignment. > -I defined that as FG. > -I sampled the area, making sure my swath distances are wide enough. > -I then drew a symmetrical template. I'm not sure if I did this right.I > went to Cross Sections > Draw Template, and I basically drew a pline > from my reference point to the left, 20m long at 0.5% (min slope). But > it's a single pline. Does this template need to be a closed figure? > -Next, I gather, I must define the template. So, I pick my FG reference > point, then I enter Yes for symmetrical, select my object, but is this a > normal surface type or subgrade? > -I picked my material (made one up - called it sewer). > -I'm guessing my connection point out will be the upper-left end-point > of my single pline? > -So what's my datum number? And my datum points? I'm lost here because I > only have a single pline.... > -No subassembly? > -Save my template. > Then what? This is all a grey-area for me....I've created x-sections in > LDD once; before that was C&G on R14 more than two years ago (and I'm > running through the tut's now)!!! > > Thanks a bunch! > > Jon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report