Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

somebody stop me.......

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
209 Views, 12 Replies

somebody stop me.......

all knowing, yeah i know, don't double-click on explorer file to open autocad. but i've done that for so long, its a bad habit to break, especially when i just want to quick access a small symbol file, etc. now, with lddt5 installed, i usually get an error:: unhandled exception c0000005 (access violation reading 0x0000) at address 7c0024b9h but not always, every now and then the dwg will open just fine with a double-click. searched the web-base with no luck on this error code. adesk must be weary of my crash-reports. i auto-send one every time it happens (just to be a pest). it looks like 2005 loads a little differently than previous versions (no switches?) so, aside from dis-associating the file type, can i remedy my habitual dilemma? no "patch" jokes please.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I haven't tried this yet, but has anyone modified the Windows OPEN action for double clicking on DWG files. I was thinking about when someone double clicks on a dwg file in explorer a dialog appears saying "Please do not double click DWG files" or something of the sort. Bruce "doug k" wrote in message news:40aa11ef$1_1@newsprd01... > all knowing, > > yeah i know, don't double-click on explorer file to open autocad. > but i've done that for so long, its a bad habit to break, especially when i > just want to quick access a small symbol file, etc. > > now, with lddt5 installed, i usually get an error:: > > unhandled exception c0000005 (access violation reading 0x0000) at address > 7c0024b9h > > but not always, every now and then the dwg will open just fine with a > double-click. > > searched the web-base with no luck on this error code. > > adesk must be weary of my crash-reports. i auto-send one every time it > happens (just to be a pest). > > it looks like 2005 loads a little differently than previous versions (no > switches?) > > so, aside from dis-associating the file type, can i remedy my habitual > dilemma? > > no "patch" jokes please. > >
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

Not a fix, but it could be a possible cause. The main problem with doublecliking on a dwg is that all of your temp files go to the folder that dwg is in. So if your on a network all of your temp files go across the network. If you use the open command in LDD the temp files all go to your local temp folder (WAY FASTER). Robert "doug k" wrote in message news:40aa11ef$1_1@newsprd01... > all knowing, > > yeah i know, don't double-click on explorer file to open autocad. > but i've done that for so long, its a bad habit to break, especially when i > just want to quick access a small symbol file, etc. > > now, with lddt5 installed, i usually get an error:: > > unhandled exception c0000005 (access violation reading 0x0000) at address > 7c0024b9h > > but not always, every now and then the dwg will open just fine with a > double-click. > > searched the web-base with no luck on this error code. > > adesk must be weary of my crash-reports. i auto-send one every time it > happens (just to be a pest). > > it looks like 2005 loads a little differently than previous versions (no > switches?) > > so, aside from dis-associating the file type, can i remedy my habitual > dilemma? > > no "patch" jokes please. > >
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

You could increase the double-click speed in mouse props so fast that you can't double-click. Then, once you've broken your habit, change it back.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

"Robert Martin" wrote in message news:40aa50bd$1_2@newsprd01... > Not a fix, but it could be a possible cause. > > The main problem with doublecliking on a dwg is that > all of your temp files go to the folder that dwg is in. i have the paths for all temp stuff set to my hard drive's temp folder. are there hidden files that are not re-directable?
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

it would be easier to dis-associate the file type, i think. i'm not that desperate....yet. besides, i use a kensington expert mouse with a dedicated double-click button. it dbl picks way faster than i can i'd have to break two habits! "Russell Dieges" wrote in message news:40aa553c$1_1@newsprd01... > You could increase the double-click speed in mouse props so fast that you > can't double-click. Then, once you've broken your habit, change it back. > >
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Doug, Put a jar on your desk and every time you double click a drawing, put $1 in the jar. After a while, you'll be too broke to double click anymore. Just make sure that you give the money in the jar to a charity or someone other than yourself (I know a nice guy in Colorado that could use it!). Brian "doug k" wrote in message news:40aa11ef$1_1@newsprd01... > all knowing, > > yeah i know, don't double-click on explorer file to open autocad. > but i've done that for so long, its a bad habit to break, especially when i > just want to quick access a small symbol file, etc. > > now, with lddt5 installed, i usually get an error:: > > unhandled exception c0000005 (access violation reading 0x0000) at address > 7c0024b9h > > but not always, every now and then the dwg will open just fine with a > double-click. > > searched the web-base with no luck on this error code. > > adesk must be weary of my crash-reports. i auto-send one every time it > happens (just to be a pest). > > it looks like 2005 loads a little differently than previous versions (no > switches?) > > so, aside from dis-associating the file type, can i remedy my habitual > dilemma? > > no "patch" jokes please. > >
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Hi Doug, Read what Robert said. By using the double click method you bypass the correct method of opening which invokes your settings of the temporary path. -- Regards Laurie Comerford www.cadapps.com.au "doug k" wrote in message news:40aa5fc7_3@newsprd01... > > "Robert Martin" wrote in message > news:40aa50bd$1_2@newsprd01... > > Not a fix, but it could be a possible cause. > > > > The main problem with doublecliking on a dwg is that > > all of your temp files go to the folder that dwg is in. > > > i have the paths for all temp stuff set to my hard drive's temp folder. > > are there hidden files that are not re-directable? > >
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

aside from the .dwl file (expected), i don't see any other temporary files created in the dwg folder when i dbl-clk a dwg open. but i do see .ac$ and .tmp files associated with the dbl-clk dwg in my temp folder on my hard drive (as expected). what files are supposedly written to the dwg folder? "Laurie Comerford" wrote in message news:40aa6fa5_1@newsprd01... > Hi Doug, > > Read what Robert said. > > By using the double click method you bypass the correct method of opening > which invokes your settings of the temporary path.
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

ok, sure, checks in the mail... "Brian Hailey" wrote in message news:40aa6abf$1_3@newsprd01... > Doug, > > Put a jar on your desk and every time you double click a drawing, put $1 in > the jar. After a while, you'll be too broke to double click anymore. Just > make sure that you give the money in the jar to a charity or someone other > than yourself (I know a nice guy in Colorado that could use it!). >
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Doesn't matter if you have it specified. When you double it just don't work right. Try it. open a big dwg over the network after a fresh boot by doubleclicking. Then reboot and open the same file using the open command. LDD will respond faster to most commands when you use this method on a network. If you work local it doesn't matter. Robert "doug k" wrote in message news:40aa5fc7_3@newsprd01... > > "Robert Martin" wrote in message > news:40aa50bd$1_2@newsprd01... > > Not a fix, but it could be a possible cause. > > > > The main problem with doublecliking on a dwg is that > > all of your temp files go to the folder that dwg is in. > > > i have the paths for all temp stuff set to my hard drive's temp folder. > > are there hidden files that are not re-directable? > >
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

On Tue, 18 May 2004 09:45:34 -0400, "doug k" wrote: >yeah i know, don't double-click on explorer file to open autocad. >but i've done that for so long, its a bad habit to break, especially when i >just want to quick access a small symbol file, etc. > >so, aside from dis-associating the file type, can i remedy my habitual >dilemma? > Try to switch your habit from opening DWG's to DGN files? Regards
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

hey, its just a bad habit, nothing requiring me to downgrade "Boba" wrote in message news:7pepa0p99gt8u231gn410am9hshugbmo1q@4ax.com... > On Tue, 18 May 2004 09:45:34 -0400, "doug k" > wrote: > > >yeah i know, don't double-click on explorer file to open autocad. > >but i've done that for so long, its a bad habit to break, especially when i > >just want to quick access a small symbol file, etc. > > > >so, aside from dis-associating the file type, can i remedy my habitual > >dilemma? > > > > Try to switch your habit from opening DWG's to DGN files? > > Regards > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report