Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Points discussion for Laurie C

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
234 Views, 8 Replies

Points discussion for Laurie C

Hey Laurie; In reading your 02FEB2005 reply to Jeff Mishler re. adding Points via VBA you wrote the following: In the main, for me a point is source data for: 1 building a DTM - should never be in the points database let alone the drawing. 2 guidelines for drawing strings like kerbs etc. should never be in the drawing 3 location of specific things like trees, bench marks etc. should be in drawing as needed. 4 setout points. Create at end of project and should be in plots provided to setout surveyor I was going to reply there, but thought that you might not get round to that old a post. I'm interested in how you chose to adopt this philosophy, because Points 1 & 2 (no pun intended, well maybe a little one) I have seen almost the direct opposite here in the Western US. In regards to Point 1 - Do you import AutoCAD points with elevation for use in the DTMs? All of the Field Topo points from Data Collection go into our Points.mdb files and are subsequently used in an editable Point Group in the EG Surface. In regards to Point 2 - Your firm's fantastic new app known as Stringer looks like it places the breaklines directly into the DWG, or did I not pay close enough attention to Shane's narrative on the video? We normally use either a form of fieldbook app, or just play connect the Data Collected Points with a 3D polyline that identify hard fault lines for the EG Surface. In regards to Points 3 & 4 - I think you would find whole-hearted agreement here in the States. And I'm not looking to pick a fight with you, I am truly interested in finding out what led you to adopt these procedure. I'm guessing that Point Protection may have something to do with Point 1. -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Don, It's very simple. Keep the data in the drawing as small as possible to: a) avoid cluttering your mind with superfluous data b) speed up AutoCAD which slows down significantly as the drawing size goes up. c) avoid the need for huge amounts of drafting effort to ensure that the text from the points does not overlap. A Point Object displaying PtNo, Elev and Desc can be over 1300 bytes. so 1,000 points gives 1.3Mb etc. As I've often indicated here, an A1 plot with more than about 200 points will be effectively unreadable. Q1 Most surveyed points are there merely to enable level prediction for purposes of design. Once you have combined the data from these points into a DTM the data from an individual point is unnecessary. If you need it, you can get the level from the DTM. Even the Access database slows down as you increase the number of points in it - so if the only purpose of the point is to build the DTM, why clutter the Points Database with it. Associated with this is the capability of the human mind. There will be very few people who can use the data from more than 4 or 5 points simultaneously and get meaningful information from them. Instead, some form of amalgamation - or summary of the points becomes necessary - we join centreline points with lines, we join surface points into a DTM and use different methods of displaying the information in the DTM. Where you are joining points with a string (figure, polyline) - once the join is made the string represents the information and the raw data of the points is superfluous. I know that many users do not accept these arguments - instead work in drawings with huge amounts of useless data making wonderful use of Layer Off and Layer Freeze and Xrefs of huge drawings using serious hardware to cope with it. These practices probably arise from the training courses in AutoCAD which on the whole are orientated to Mechanical/Architectural drafting where the data quantities are trivial and data management is not part of the course. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:4217f5e1_2@newsprd01... > Hey Laurie; > > In reading your 02FEB2005 reply to Jeff Mishler re. adding Points via VBA > you wrote the following: > In the main, for me a point is source data for: > 1 building a DTM - should never be in the points database let alone the > drawing. > 2 guidelines for drawing strings like kerbs etc. should never be in the > drawing > 3 location of specific things like trees, bench marks etc. should be in > drawing as needed. > 4 setout points. Create at end of project and should be in plots > provided to setout surveyor > > I was going to reply there, but thought that you might not get round to that > old a post. > > I'm interested in how you chose to adopt this philosophy, because Points 1 & > 2 (no pun intended, well maybe a little one) I have seen almost the direct > opposite here in the Western US. > > In regards to Point 1 - Do you import AutoCAD points with elevation for use > in the DTMs? All of the Field Topo points from Data Collection go into our > Points.mdb files and are subsequently used in an editable Point Group in the > EG Surface. > > In regards to Point 2 - Your firm's fantastic new app known as Stringer > looks like it places the breaklines directly into the DWG, or did I not pay > close enough attention to Shane's narrative on the video? We normally use > either a form of fieldbook app, or just play connect the Data Collected > Points with a 3D polyline that identify hard fault lines for the EG Surface. > > In regards to Points 3 & 4 - I think you would find whole-hearted agreement > here in the States. > > And I'm not looking to pick a fight with you, I am truly interested in > finding out what led you to adopt these procedure. I'm guessing that Point > Protection may have something to do with Point 1. > > -- > Don Reichle > "King Of Work-Arounds" > LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 > On WIN2K SP4 > Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 > 512MB RAM > NVIDIA 32MB AGP > >
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

If I may interject an opinion about removing points from the database: While your argument for reducing the size of the database to improve performance has merit, I would think that there would be stronger arguments for keeping them. While the DTM does provide a means to obtain the spatial data that was used to create it, that data is subject to change and could be lost should the DTM be edited. In my experience there are many times when it is necessary to examine the original topography data, whether to verify the accuracy of a DTM or to glean information about points that were not used to build the surface. While the topo data can be recovered from the survey data files, it would be a relatively time consuming effort to re-import them into the point database, depending on point numbering shemes. I agree that database performance is an issue, particularly when Land Desktop has to refresh the points groups, but the convenience of having the data readily available when needed offsets the loss of performance in my experience. Ideally we would like Land Desktop to be more effiicient in handling the point database so that we would not even have to consider this issue. Your experience and insight has been a valuable resource Laurie. Thank you for the time you invest in sharing it. I will watch for your reply as to how you deal with these issues. "Laurie Comerford" wrote in message news:4218f15c_1@newsprd01... > Hi Don, > > It's very simple. > > Keep the data in the drawing as small as possible to: > a) avoid cluttering your mind with superfluous data > b) speed up AutoCAD which slows down significantly as the drawing size > goes up. > c) avoid the need for huge amounts of drafting effort to ensure that > the > text from the points does not overlap. > > A Point Object displaying PtNo, Elev and Desc can be over 1300 bytes. so > 1,000 points gives 1.3Mb etc. > > As I've often indicated here, an A1 plot with more than about 200 points > will be effectively unreadable. > > Q1 > Most surveyed points are there merely to enable level prediction for > purposes of design. Once you have combined the data from these points > into > a DTM the data from an individual point is unnecessary. If you need it, > you > can get the level from the DTM. > > Even the Access database slows down as you increase the number of points > in > it - so if the only purpose of the point is to build the DTM, why clutter > the Points Database with it. > > Associated with this is the capability of the human mind. There will be > very few people who can use the data from more than 4 or 5 points > simultaneously and get meaningful information from them. Instead, some > form > of amalgamation - or summary of the points becomes necessary - we join > centreline points with lines, we join surface points into a DTM and use > different methods of displaying the information in the DTM. > > Where you are joining points with a string (figure, polyline) - once the > join is made the string represents the information and the raw data of the > points is superfluous. > > I know that many users do not accept these arguments - instead work in > drawings with huge amounts of useless data making wonderful use of Layer > Off > and Layer Freeze and Xrefs of huge drawings using serious hardware to cope > with it. > > These practices probably arise from the training courses in AutoCAD which > on > the whole are orientated to Mechanical/Architectural drafting where the > data > quantities are trivial and data management is not part of the course. > > > -- > > > Laurie Comerford > CADApps > www.cadapps.com.au > > "Don Reichle" wrote in message > news:4217f5e1_2@newsprd01... >> Hey Laurie; >> >> In reading your 02FEB2005 reply to Jeff Mishler re. adding Points via VBA >> you wrote the following: >> In the main, for me a point is source data for: >> 1 building a DTM - should never be in the points database let alone >> the >> drawing. >> 2 guidelines for drawing strings like kerbs etc. should never be in >> the >> drawing >> 3 location of specific things like trees, bench marks etc. should be >> in >> drawing as needed. >> 4 setout points. Create at end of project and should be in plots >> provided to setout surveyor >> >> I was going to reply there, but thought that you might not get round to > that >> old a post. >> >> I'm interested in how you chose to adopt this philosophy, because Points >> 1 > & >> 2 (no pun intended, well maybe a little one) I have seen almost the >> direct >> opposite here in the Western US. >> >> In regards to Point 1 - Do you import AutoCAD points with elevation for > use >> in the DTMs? All of the Field Topo points from Data Collection go into >> our >> Points.mdb files and are subsequently used in an editable Point Group in > the >> EG Surface. >> >> In regards to Point 2 - Your firm's fantastic new app known as Stringer >> looks like it places the breaklines directly into the DWG, or did I not > pay >> close enough attention to Shane's narrative on the video? We normally use >> either a form of fieldbook app, or just play connect the Data Collected >> Points with a 3D polyline that identify hard fault lines for the EG > Surface. >> >> In regards to Points 3 & 4 - I think you would find whole-hearted > agreement >> here in the States. >> >> And I'm not looking to pick a fight with you, I am truly interested in >> finding out what led you to adopt these procedure. I'm guessing that >> Point >> Protection may have something to do with Point 1. >> >> -- >> Don Reichle >> "King Of Work-Arounds" >> LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 >> On WIN2K SP4 >> Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 >> 512MB RAM >> NVIDIA 32MB AGP >> >> > >
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Hi Neil, "In my experience there are many times when it > is necessary to examine the original topography data, whether to verify > the accuracy of a DTM " Can you clarify? If the point data was used to build the model it will be part of the model and it seems to me that you can't do a meaningful computation that uses that data to check the model. "to glean information about points that were not used to > build the surface." I have not specifically said you shouldn't have these points in the database. My major concern in reducing data is the NS points shot purely to establish level at a location. If you wish to check the quality of a surface you should shoot points which are not added to the surface and compare them with the level predicted by the surface. CADApps wrote a program to do this years ago and sell it as part of its Land Toolbox Suite. -- Regards, Laurie Comerford www.cadapps.com.au "Neil W" wrote in message news:421b4852$1_2@newsprd01... > If I may interject an opinion about removing points from the database: > > While your argument for reducing the size of the database to improve > performance has merit, I would think that there would be stronger > arguments for keeping them. While the DTM does provide a means to obtain > the spatial data that was used to create it, that data is subject to > change and could be lost should the DTM be edited. In my experience there > are many times when it is necessary to examine the original topography > data, whether to verify the accuracy of a DTM or to glean information > about points that were not used to build the surface. While the topo data > can be recovered from the survey data files, it would be a relatively time > consuming effort to re-import them into the point database, depending on > point numbering shemes. > > I agree that database performance is an issue, particularly when Land > Desktop has to refresh the points groups, but the convenience of having > the data readily available when needed offsets the loss of performance in > my experience. Ideally we would like Land Desktop to be more effiicient in > handling the point database so that we would not even have to consider > this issue. > > Your experience and insight has been a valuable resource Laurie. Thank you > for the time you invest in sharing it. I will watch for your reply as to > how you deal with these issues. > > > "Laurie Comerford" wrote in message > news:4218f15c_1@newsprd01... >> Hi Don, >> >> It's very simple. >> >> Keep the data in the drawing as small as possible to: >> a) avoid cluttering your mind with superfluous data >> b) speed up AutoCAD which slows down significantly as the drawing size >> goes up. >> c) avoid the need for huge amounts of drafting effort to ensure that >> the >> text from the points does not overlap. >> >> A Point Object displaying PtNo, Elev and Desc can be over 1300 bytes. so >> 1,000 points gives 1.3Mb etc. >> >> As I've often indicated here, an A1 plot with more than about 200 points >> will be effectively unreadable. >> >> Q1 >> Most surveyed points are there merely to enable level prediction for >> purposes of design. Once you have combined the data from these points >> into >> a DTM the data from an individual point is unnecessary. If you need it, >> you >> can get the level from the DTM. >> >> Even the Access database slows down as you increase the number of points >> in >> it - so if the only purpose of the point is to build the DTM, why clutter >> the Points Database with it. >> >> Associated with this is the capability of the human mind. There will be >> very few people who can use the data from more than 4 or 5 points >> simultaneously and get meaningful information from them. Instead, some >> form >> of amalgamation - or summary of the points becomes necessary - we join >> centreline points with lines, we join surface points into a DTM and use >> different methods of displaying the information in the DTM. >> >> Where you are joining points with a string (figure, polyline) - once the >> join is made the string represents the information and the raw data of >> the >> points is superfluous. >> >> I know that many users do not accept these arguments - instead work in >> drawings with huge amounts of useless data making wonderful use of Layer >> Off >> and Layer Freeze and Xrefs of huge drawings using serious hardware to >> cope >> with it. >> >> These practices probably arise from the training courses in AutoCAD which >> on >> the whole are orientated to Mechanical/Architectural drafting where the >> data >> quantities are trivial and data management is not part of the course. >> >> >> -- >> >> >> Laurie Comerford >> CADApps >> www.cadapps.com.au >> >> "Don Reichle" wrote in message >> news:4217f5e1_2@newsprd01... >>> Hey Laurie; >>> >>> In reading your 02FEB2005 reply to Jeff Mishler re. adding Points via >>> VBA >>> you wrote the following: >>> In the main, for me a point is source data for: >>> 1 building a DTM - should never be in the points database let alone >>> the >>> drawing. >>> 2 guidelines for drawing strings like kerbs etc. should never be in >>> the >>> drawing >>> 3 location of specific things like trees, bench marks etc. should be >>> in >>> drawing as needed. >>> 4 setout points. Create at end of project and should be in plots >>> provided to setout surveyor >>> >>> I was going to reply there, but thought that you might not get round to >> that >>> old a post. >>> >>> I'm interested in how you chose to adopt this philosophy, because Points >>> 1 >> & >>> 2 (no pun intended, well maybe a little one) I have seen almost the >>> direct >>> opposite here in the Western US. >>> >>> In regards to Point 1 - Do you import AutoCAD points with elevation for >> use >>> in the DTMs? All of the Field Topo points from Data Collection go into >>> our >>> Points.mdb files and are subsequently used in an editable Point Group in >> the >>> EG Surface. >>> >>> In regards to Point 2 - Your firm's fantastic new app known as Stringer >>> looks like it places the breaklines directly into the DWG, or did I not >> pay >>> close enough attention to Shane's narrative on the video? We normally >>> use >>> either a form of fieldbook app, or just play connect the Data Collected >>> Points with a 3D polyline that identify hard fault lines for the EG >> Surface. >>> >>> In regards to Points 3 & 4 - I think you would find whole-hearted >> agreement >>> here in the States. >>> >>> And I'm not looking to pick a fight with you, I am truly interested in >>> finding out what led you to adopt these procedure. I'm guessing that >>> Point >>> Protection may have something to do with Point 1. >>> >>> -- >>> Don Reichle >>> "King Of Work-Arounds" >>> LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 >>> On WIN2K SP4 >>> Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 >>> 512MB RAM >>> NVIDIA 32MB AGP >>> >>> >> >> > >
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

> "In my experience there are many times when it >> is necessary to examine the original topography data, whether to verify >> the accuracy of a DTM " > > Can you clarify? If the point data was used to build the model it will > be part of the model and it seems to me that you can't do a meaningful > computation that uses that data to check the model. As an example: during the development of the DTM, the modeler has to interpret the topo data to establish fault lines and weed out or edit data that do not reflect true ground conditions (top of hydrants or top of culverts, etc.). Once the DTM is in use, suspicions may arise about how the topo data was interpreted (should there have been a break line here? Was there a bad topo shot?). These issues are not always apparent when analyzing the surface when it is created, so having the topo data readily available proves invaluable (simply insert the topo points to the drawing for the area in question). > > "to glean information about points that were not used to >> build the surface." > I have not specifically said you shouldn't have these points in the > database. My major concern in reducing data is the NS points shot purely > to establish level at a location. Again, when developing the surface the modeler has to interpret the data and edit the model to best reflect the true ground conditions. The boundary of the TIN may have eliminated topo data that should have been included or was not deemed useful at the time the TIN was created and vice versa or perhaps the shot on a retaining wall was overlooked, etc. If points have been removed from the database, how can one be sure that what is left is adequate to make the evaluation? I perhaps did not understand what you meant by removing the points that were used for building the TIN from the database. If so please explain.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Hi Neil, It seems you are advocating the lazy/careless surveyor/omniprescient draftsman model of working. I don't go for that model. Please ignore all my advise and continue to work with vast quantities of data, large drawings etc. and almost guaranteed unreliability of the DTM. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "Neil W" wrote in message news:421c99c9_2@newsprd01... > > > > "In my experience there are many times when it > >> is necessary to examine the original topography data, whether to verify > >> the accuracy of a DTM " > > > > Can you clarify? If the point data was used to build the model it will > > be part of the model and it seems to me that you can't do a meaningful > > computation that uses that data to check the model. > > As an example: during the development of the DTM, the modeler has to > interpret the topo data to establish fault lines and weed out or edit data > that do not reflect true ground conditions (top of hydrants or top of > culverts, etc.). Once the DTM is in use, suspicions may arise about how the > topo data was interpreted (should there have been a break line here? Was > there a bad topo shot?). These issues are not always apparent when analyzing > the surface when it is created, so having the topo data readily available > proves invaluable (simply insert the topo points to the drawing for the area > in question). > > > > "to glean information about points that were not used to > >> build the surface." > > I have not specifically said you shouldn't have these points in the > > database. My major concern in reducing data is the NS points shot purely > > to establish level at a location. > > Again, when developing the surface the modeler has to interpret the data and > edit the model to best reflect the true ground conditions. The boundary of > the TIN may have eliminated topo data that should have been included or was > not deemed useful at the time the TIN was created and vice versa or perhaps > the shot on a retaining wall was overlooked, etc. If points have been > removed from the database, how can one be sure that what is left is adequate > to make the evaluation? > > I perhaps did not understand what you meant by removing the points that were > used for building the TIN from the database. If so please explain. > >
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

I wish I could so blindly trust the data I receive. "Laurie Comerford" wrote in message news:421ce97a_1@newsprd01... > Hi Neil, > > It seems you are advocating the lazy/careless surveyor/omniprescient > draftsman model of working. I don't go for that model. Please ignore all > my advise and continue to work with vast quantities of data, large > drawings > etc. and almost guaranteed unreliability of the DTM. > > -- > > > Laurie Comerford > CADApps > www.cadapps.com.au > > > "Neil W" wrote in message news:421c99c9_2@newsprd01... >> >> >> > "In my experience there are many times when it >> >> is necessary to examine the original topography data, whether to >> >> verify >> >> the accuracy of a DTM " >> > >> > Can you clarify? If the point data was used to build the model it >> > will >> > be part of the model and it seems to me that you can't do a meaningful >> > computation that uses that data to check the model. >> >> As an example: during the development of the DTM, the modeler has to >> interpret the topo data to establish fault lines and weed out or edit >> data >> that do not reflect true ground conditions (top of hydrants or top of >> culverts, etc.). Once the DTM is in use, suspicions may arise about how > the >> topo data was interpreted (should there have been a break line here? Was >> there a bad topo shot?). These issues are not always apparent when > analyzing >> the surface when it is created, so having the topo data readily available >> proves invaluable (simply insert the topo points to the drawing for the > area >> in question). >> > >> > "to glean information about points that were not used to >> >> build the surface." >> > I have not specifically said you shouldn't have these points in the >> > database. My major concern in reducing data is the NS points shot > purely >> > to establish level at a location. >> >> Again, when developing the surface the modeler has to interpret the data > and >> edit the model to best reflect the true ground conditions. The boundary >> of >> the TIN may have eliminated topo data that should have been included or > was >> not deemed useful at the time the TIN was created and vice versa or > perhaps >> the shot on a retaining wall was overlooked, etc. If points have been >> removed from the database, how can one be sure that what is left is > adequate >> to make the evaluation? >> >> I perhaps did not understand what you meant by removing the points that > were >> used for building the TIN from the database. If so please explain. >> >> > >
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Hi Neil, I don't trust anything. I set up contract systems that the surveyor is responsible for the DTM. I look for plausibility of the data and if I don't like it I ask the surveyor to check it, and if necessary fix it What I don't do, is assume that I know more than him, or because I think the contours look wrong, edit the model to make them look right (to me). You will not need to deal with a surveyor very long before he will do a good job, because he has to carry the costs of fixing bad jobs, and he holds the legal responsibility for the DTM. As I read these NGs, I do not know whether they reflect the biassed opinions of drafters, or that there are a large number of incompetant surveyors in the USA. Whichever it is it's a managerial thing to ensure you get a surveyor who can build a DTM and warrant it. -- Regards, Laurie Comerford www.cadapps.com.au "Neil W" wrote in message news:421cf83c_1@newsprd01... >I wish I could so blindly trust the data I receive. > > "Laurie Comerford" wrote in message > news:421ce97a_1@newsprd01... >> Hi Neil, >> >> It seems you are advocating the lazy/careless surveyor/omniprescient >> draftsman model of working. I don't go for that model. Please ignore >> all >> my advise and continue to work with vast quantities of data, large >> drawings >> etc. and almost guaranteed unreliability of the DTM. >> >> -- >> >> >> Laurie Comerford >> CADApps >> www.cadapps.com.au >> >> >> "Neil W" wrote in message news:421c99c9_2@newsprd01... >>> >>> >>> > "In my experience there are many times when it >>> >> is necessary to examine the original topography data, whether to >>> >> verify >>> >> the accuracy of a DTM " >>> > >>> > Can you clarify? If the point data was used to build the model it >>> > will >>> > be part of the model and it seems to me that you can't do a meaningful >>> > computation that uses that data to check the model. >>> >>> As an example: during the development of the DTM, the modeler has to >>> interpret the topo data to establish fault lines and weed out or edit >>> data >>> that do not reflect true ground conditions (top of hydrants or top of >>> culverts, etc.). Once the DTM is in use, suspicions may arise about how >> the >>> topo data was interpreted (should there have been a break line here? Was >>> there a bad topo shot?). These issues are not always apparent when >> analyzing >>> the surface when it is created, so having the topo data readily >>> available >>> proves invaluable (simply insert the topo points to the drawing for the >> area >>> in question). >>> > >>> > "to glean information about points that were not used to >>> >> build the surface." >>> > I have not specifically said you shouldn't have these points in the >>> > database. My major concern in reducing data is the NS points shot >> purely >>> > to establish level at a location. >>> >>> Again, when developing the surface the modeler has to interpret the data >> and >>> edit the model to best reflect the true ground conditions. The boundary >>> of >>> the TIN may have eliminated topo data that should have been included or >> was >>> not deemed useful at the time the TIN was created and vice versa or >> perhaps >>> the shot on a retaining wall was overlooked, etc. If points have been >>> removed from the database, how can one be sure that what is left is >> adequate >>> to make the evaluation? >>> >>> I perhaps did not understand what you meant by removing the points that >> were >>> used for building the TIN from the database. If so please explain. >>> >>> >> >> > >
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

There are people from al llevels of "competency" using the newsgroups. None of us know everything nor do all approaches to a problem fit all circumstances. I am constantly having to re-evaluate what I think I know and it is often very humbling. Working in a small office puts me in the lower echelons of the engineering world, but I have also benefitted from the diversity of experience immensley. Again I have benefitted from your experieince along with the many other experienced posters here. Sincerely, thank you. "Laurie Comerford" wrote in message news:421d0fab$1_1@newsprd01... > Hi Neil, > > I don't trust anything. > > I set up contract systems that the surveyor is responsible for the DTM. > I look for plausibility of the data and if I don't like it I ask the > surveyor to check it, and if necessary fix it > > What I don't do, is assume that I know more than him, or because I think > the contours look wrong, edit the model to make them look right (to me). > > You will not need to deal with a surveyor very long before he will do a > good job, because he has to carry the costs of fixing bad jobs, and he > holds the legal responsibility for the DTM. > > As I read these NGs, I do not know whether they reflect the biassed > opinions of drafters, or that there are a large number of incompetant > surveyors in the USA. Whichever it is it's a managerial thing to ensure > you get a surveyor who can build a DTM and warrant it. > > -- > > Regards, > > > Laurie Comerford > www.cadapps.com.au > > "Neil W" wrote in message news:421cf83c_1@newsprd01... >>I wish I could so blindly trust the data I receive. >> >> "Laurie Comerford" wrote in message >> news:421ce97a_1@newsprd01... >>> Hi Neil, >>> >>> It seems you are advocating the lazy/careless surveyor/omniprescient >>> draftsman model of working. I don't go for that model. Please ignore >>> all >>> my advise and continue to work with vast quantities of data, large >>> drawings >>> etc. and almost guaranteed unreliability of the DTM. >>> >>> -- >>> >>> >>> Laurie Comerford >>> CADApps >>> www.cadapps.com.au >>> >>> >>> "Neil W" wrote in message news:421c99c9_2@newsprd01... >>>> >>>> >>>> > "In my experience there are many times when it >>>> >> is necessary to examine the original topography data, whether to >>>> >> verify >>>> >> the accuracy of a DTM " >>>> > >>>> > Can you clarify? If the point data was used to build the model it >>>> > will >>>> > be part of the model and it seems to me that you can't do a >>>> > meaningful >>>> > computation that uses that data to check the model. >>>> >>>> As an example: during the development of the DTM, the modeler has to >>>> interpret the topo data to establish fault lines and weed out or edit >>>> data >>>> that do not reflect true ground conditions (top of hydrants or top of >>>> culverts, etc.). Once the DTM is in use, suspicions may arise about how >>> the >>>> topo data was interpreted (should there have been a break line here? >>>> Was >>>> there a bad topo shot?). These issues are not always apparent when >>> analyzing >>>> the surface when it is created, so having the topo data readily >>>> available >>>> proves invaluable (simply insert the topo points to the drawing for the >>> area >>>> in question). >>>> > >>>> > "to glean information about points that were not used to >>>> >> build the surface." >>>> > I have not specifically said you shouldn't have these points in the >>>> > database. My major concern in reducing data is the NS points shot >>> purely >>>> > to establish level at a location. >>>> >>>> Again, when developing the surface the modeler has to interpret the >>>> data >>> and >>>> edit the model to best reflect the true ground conditions. The boundary >>>> of >>>> the TIN may have eliminated topo data that should have been included or >>> was >>>> not deemed useful at the time the TIN was created and vice versa or >>> perhaps >>>> the shot on a retaining wall was overlooked, etc. If points have been >>>> removed from the database, how can one be sure that what is left is >>> adequate >>>> to make the evaluation? >>>> >>>> I perhaps did not understand what you meant by removing the points that >>> were >>>> used for building the TIN from the database. If so please explain. >>>> >>>> >>> >>> >> >> > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report