Did you mean: 

No idea what I'm doing.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
fonty21
211 Views, 3 Replies

No idea what I'm doing.

Hi

I am very new to LDT. I have an text file from a surveyor for points along a centerline. I can insert those points into the drawing. What I am having trouble doing is making a 3dpolyline from those points. I read one post that said to use the breakline in TME. That works good but the result is not curved. Any ideas???

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: fonty21

Hey Fonty21; You can use the points provided to describe the curve in Terrain>3D Polylines>Create By Elevation which is the closest you will get to a curve in TME. It creates a series of chords at the length you specify (or just accept the interval provided by the program). Hopefully the surveyors gave you enough definition along the curve so that it won't appear broken back (non-tangent). If not you might want to generate a curve(s) from the points supplied in Lines/Curves>Best Fit Curve. See the Help on this if needed. Then start at one end of the curve with one of your points (hopefully you inserted them at actual elevation to make it easier for the program to use the elevation without you having to type them in - typo eliminator) select a Point On Curve when prmpted and then select the next Point along the arc. Accept the distance provided by the program or type in your own. Keep following these steps until you run out of points that describe the curve(s). -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D/LDT 2004 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "fonty21" wrote in message news:27462749.1099008936589.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hi > > I am very new to LDT. I have an text file from a surveyor for points > along a centerline. I can insert those points into the drawing. What I > am having trouble doing is making a 3dpolyline from those points. I read > one post that said to use the breakline in TME. That works good but the > result is not curved. Any ideas??? > > Thanks
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

As Don mentioned, 3D curves in Land Desktop are represented by a series of user-defined chord segments. It is not necessary, however, to insert your points at the actual elevation in order to create 3D polylines from point objects nor will the Best Fit Curve option be of any use in the situation you described. When prompted to select a point for your 3D polyline, type .G at the commad prompt to use the Graphical Point Filter. It will extract the elevation from the point database of any selected point object. This process does not require quite the precision of using running object snaps. You can select anywhere on the point object. Remember to dismiss the point filter by again typing .G prior to exiting the 3D polyline command. Unless dismissed, the point filter remains active for all Land Desktop commands that require a point (location or object) to be selected. I use this point filter so often it's included as a button on one of my custom toolbars. There are other point filters as well. To select points by northing and easting enter .N at the command line when prompted to select a point. You will then be prompted for first the northing and then the easting. This one is tedious. I don't envy you if this is your only option. To select points by point number enter .P at the command line when prompted to select a point. This will allow you to enter point numbers, one at a time, as your point selection process. It's fairly tedious as well but not as bad as by northing and easting. -- Mike Norton Total CAD Sytems Inc Houston, Texas "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:41819358$1_3@newsprd01... > Hey Fonty21; > > You can use the points provided to describe the curve in Terrain>3D > Polylines>Create By Elevation which is the closest you will get to a curve > in TME. It creates a series of chords at the length you specify (or just > accept the interval provided by the program). > > Hopefully the surveyors gave you enough definition along the curve so that > it won't appear broken back (non-tangent). If not you might want to generate > a curve(s) from the points supplied in Lines/Curves>Best Fit Curve. See the > Help on this if needed. > > Then start at one end of the curve with one of your points (hopefully you > inserted them at actual elevation to make it easier for the program to use > the elevation without you having to type them in - typo eliminator) select a > Point On Curve when prmpted and then select the next Point along the arc. > Accept the distance provided by the program or type in your own. Keep > following these steps until you run out of points that describe the > curve(s). > > -- > Don Reichle > Hacker Engineering, Inc. > "King of Work-Arounds" > LDT & CD 2004 > C3D/LDT 2004 > On HP Pavilion a367c > 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM > XP PRO - SP2 > > > "fonty21" wrote in message > news:27462749.1099008936589.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > Hi > > > > I am very new to LDT. I have an text file from a surveyor for points > > along a centerline. I can insert those points into the drawing. What I > > am having trouble doing is making a 3dpolyline from those points. I read > > one post that said to use the breakline in TME. That works good but the > > result is not curved. Any ideas??? > > > > Thanks > >
Message 4 of 4
fonty21

Outstanding, thank you for the help.

-Jeff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report