Did you mean: 

MTEXT Faint - Not Font Smoothing

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
wbic16
421 Views, 13 Replies

MTEXT Faint - Not Font Smoothing

Hello:

I've been searching for a resolution to a problem others seem to have experienced recently with LDT and Windows XP. When some users pull up the MTEXT editor, the text is faint.

I searched Google and this discussion forum only to come up with a solution that has not worked. Unchecking font smoothing on the system does nothing.

Details:
Quadro graphics card running 56.72 drivers
(Previously, the drivers were 43.x series)
Windows XP
Land Desktop 2i + Service Packs

I've tried updating the video card drivers and turning font smoothing off.

One more piece of software in the mix is Funk Software's Proxy Host. This is a client application which allows us to take control of our workstations remotely. When not in use, the Proxy software has no effect on this problem.

As soon as we take control of the computer (and create a hardware overlay for screen captures), the MTEXT editor window clears up.

From what I can tell, the problem sounds like an acceleration issue. It's a bit difficult to troubleshoot because the computer is in a remote office and the problem goes away as soon as we connect to it.

Any ideas?
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: wbic16

Try this:
Click in the grey area of the ruler bar of the mtext editing window. The text should become full density. This happens when there is vector data behind the editing window, the purposes is so you can see what you are editing over.

Joe
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

I have the same problem as wbic. There are no ruler bars in the MTEXT window, at least not in LDT 3 (Acad 2002). I am running XP Pro and NVIDIA QPRO 980 XGL Video card with Driver Ver. 5.3.0.3 "joehughes113" wrote in message news:18221523.1084998562614.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Try this: > Click in the grey area of the ruler bar of the mtext editing window. The text should become full density. This happens when there is vector data behind the editing window, the purposes is so you can see what you are editing over. > > Joe
Message 4 of 14
wbic16

A bit more information:
I'm on the phone with the user now. When we switch to a True Type font the problem goes away.

Looks like a shapefile font problem. He's using Simplex...
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Just worked with client facing exactly the same issue, with the sam result - using a TrueType font did the trick. Same issue with several computers. "wbic16" wrote in message news:17367488.1085002737651.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > A bit more information: > I'm on the phone with the user now. When we switch to a True Type font the problem goes away. > > Looks like a shapefile font problem. He's using Simplex...
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

I had a similiar issue that I resolved by setting my visual effects setting to "Adjust for best performance". To change this setting, go to Control Panel, System properties, Advanced tab, Performance settings, Visual Effects tab. "scott mceachron" wrote in message news:40abeffa$1_3@newsprd01... > Just worked with client facing exactly the same issue, with the sam result - > using a TrueType font did the trick. Same issue with several computers. > > "wbic16" wrote in message > news:17367488.1085002737651.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > A bit more information: > > I'm on the phone with the user now. When we switch to a True Type font > the problem goes away. > > > > Looks like a shapefile font problem. He's using Simplex... > >
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Footnote: All fonts in the mtext editor are true-type, which is why Adesk went out of its way to provide true type versions of some of the fonts. If there doesn't happen to be a true type version the editor will substitute one of the truly wretched proxy fonts. The design of these ttf fonts is with threadlike thin lines, which is why the editor has such a tough time showing them. A good, if troublesome workaround is to use a similar true type font for setting up and editing the note(s) and later convert to a shx font. rs "scott mceachron" wrote in message news:40abeffa$1_3@newsprd01... > Just worked with client facing exactly the same issue, with the sam result - > using a TrueType font did the trick. Same issue with several computers. > > "wbic16" wrote in message > news:17367488.1085002737651.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > A bit more information: > > I'm on the phone with the user now. When we switch to a True Type font > the problem goes away. > > > > Looks like a shapefile font problem. He's using Simplex... > > --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.687 / Virus Database: 448 - Release Date: 5/17/2004
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

The "ADJUST FOR BEST PERFORMANCE SETTING" is not a feature in Acad 2002. "GLC" wrote in message news:40ac1b59$1_2@newsprd01... > I had a similiar issue that I resolved by setting my visual effects setting > to "Adjust for best performance". To change this setting, go to Control > Panel, System properties, Advanced tab, Performance settings, Visual Effects > tab. > > > > > "scott mceachron" wrote in message > news:40abeffa$1_3@newsprd01... > > Just worked with client facing exactly the same issue, with the sam > result - > > using a TrueType font did the trick. Same issue with several computers. > > > > "wbic16" wrote in message > > news:17367488.1085002737651.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > A bit more information: > > > I'm on the phone with the user now. When we switch to a True Type font > > the problem goes away. > > > > > > Looks like a shapefile font problem. He's using Simplex... > > > > > >
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

You are right Scott. TTYPE fonts work properly. "scott mceachron" wrote in message news:40abeffa$1_3@newsprd01... > Just worked with client facing exactly the same issue, with the sam result - > using a TrueType font did the trick. Same issue with several computers. > > "wbic16" wrote in message > news:17367488.1085002737651.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > A bit more information: > > I'm on the phone with the user now. When we switch to a True Type font > the problem goes away. > > > > Looks like a shapefile font problem. He's using Simplex... > >
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

This is a Windows XP setting, not AutoCAD. "Neil W" wrote in message news:40acaba9$1_2@newsprd01... > The "ADJUST FOR BEST PERFORMANCE SETTING" is not a feature in Acad 2002. > > "GLC" wrote in message news:40ac1b59$1_2@newsprd01... > > I had a similiar issue that I resolved by setting my visual effects > setting > > to "Adjust for best performance". To change this setting, go to Control > > Panel, System properties, Advanced tab, Performance settings, Visual > Effects > > tab. > > > > > > > > > > "scott mceachron" wrote in message > > news:40abeffa$1_3@newsprd01... > > > Just worked with client facing exactly the same issue, with the sam > > result - > > > using a TrueType font did the trick. Same issue with several computers. > > > > > > "wbic16" wrote in message > > > news:17367488.1085002737651.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > > A bit more information: > > > > I'm on the phone with the user now. When we switch to a True Type > font > > > the problem goes away. > > > > > > > > Looks like a shapefile font problem. He's using Simplex... > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Ok, I see that now. I'll give it a try. Thank you "GLC" wrote in message news:40ad2e2a$1_3@newsprd01... > This is a Windows XP setting, not AutoCAD. > >
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Your suggestion solved the problem. "Neil W" wrote in message news:40ae115a$1_3@newsprd01... > Ok, I see that now. I'll give it a try. > > Thank you > "GLC" wrote in message news:40ad2e2a$1_3@newsprd01... > > This is a Windows XP setting, not AutoCAD. > > > > > >
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

I was able to instantly resolve this by unchecking the "Use the following method to smooth screen fonts" box in Display Properties (Windows, not AutoCAD)
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

IN XP YOU NEED TO TURN ON SCROLL EFFECTS IN THE DISPLAY PROPERTIES THIS WILL FIX THE PROBLEM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report