Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at used or new computer for Autocad 06 or 07

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ubio
500 Views, 5 Replies

Looking at used or new computer for Autocad 06 or 07

I have civil 3d 06 and 07 and want to buy a laptop to run it, (07 preferred), on so I can work when away. After reading the problem with running 06 and 07 on windows 7 pro and home I am wondering if I should just buy an older laptop running on windows xp. What are the advantages of the hastles of installing on windows 7 pro vs. using and older machine with windows XP?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: ubio

What is your budget? I would not sink a penny into a "used" laptop ever, I would figure out how to get XP or Vista, or Win7 32bit on a new laptop instead.

Message 3 of 6
ubio
in reply to: pendean

Thank you for the feedback. Around 5-$700.00. I want the minimum size and power needed so I can get long battery life. Any suggestions?

Message 4 of 6
OMCUSNR

What do you mean..."work when away"?

If you want to get any production out of it w/out tearing your hair out, you'll need amin 17" screen, 4 gigs of ram, an OS that'll recognize 4 gigs (Win 7 64) and a seperate video card w/ at least 500mb of vram. 

You might be able to find a refurbished machine with those quals for about $700.

If you're just looking for something you can show contractors details, then a 15" screen will work.  There's just too many pop-ups & secondary menus that get in the way of model space to have anything less than 17".

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 5 of 6
ubio
in reply to: OMCUSNR

Thanks for the reply Reid. I have the XP pro software. I had read so many problems with 06 & 07 on windows 7, 64 bit that I want to avoid problems. The 8 year old desktop I have now is much less powerful than the system you suggest and 07 works fine. I can agree with the 17" screen if I can get 5 or 6 hrs battery life without lugging around a suitcase of stuff. When I say work I mean not totally not doing any work when I am waiting for appointments or school functions. The previous reply said never buy used, but if you have asuggestion i am all ears. I am really looking for the minimum though. I really miss release 13 if that tells you anything. I really really hate these new releases trying to anticipate my next command. I spend half my time hitting escape.  Thanks, dan

Message 6 of 6
OMCUSNR

I wouldn't buy used either, but I have had good luck with a couple of factory refubished units.  Usually a couple of hundred less than the same system new.  Refurbished units have been returned for some reason or other, gone through & cleaned up and offered for resale.

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report