Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linework created from point codes?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
rlshound
4155 Views, 8 Replies

Linework created from point codes?

Hello Fellow LDDers, I am happy to tell you that I have my point groups and description keys set up. When I import a csv file the points are filtered to the respective point groups,symbols appear and everything gets placed on the proper layer. My next hurdle is to figure out how to generate line work from the field codes. Our field codes have the B,E,BC,EC parameters to begin a line,end a line,begin a curve,end a curve...attached to them...for example...code BB means bottom of bank...to start a line the field surveyor enters BB B to begin the line describing the bottom of the bank and BB E to end and so on...Can AutoCAD process these codes to automatically generate line work. We currently collect GPS data with survey controller and process through a feature code library in TGO.This produces linework which we then export a DXF to use as a XREF to help draw in lines. Does LDD 2008 have the capacity to do this? Is there a lsp routine that generates linework from points without going from point to point? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...Its been raining here in Phoenix for about a week...very strange for the desert...See You,rlshound
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: rlshound

It's been a while since I have does this, but are you importing the points thru the Survey module import field book or just using the import points from the Points pulldown?. The import points from the Points pulldown doesn't do this. On another note, I like the rain here in PHX by the way, but I prefer it in the Avondale area better.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Shame on you, you made me go open some of my old 3.5" disks to try to find (couldn't find) an old file I used to use for some samples I have printed out. If I remember correctly I used to convert a rw5 or ASCII file to a cr5 file and then do a import field book with the cr5 file and that brought in the points with the linework. That's how far I go back in my old age (47). Haven't tried this in the newer versions cause I got away from doing survey drafting. Hope this helps if not let me know maybe I could try to remember more down the line.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Here's a rudimentary outline I threw together a few years back, might help a
bit:
http://www.budcad.com/TRAINING/Field%20to%20Office.htm

Bud Miller
www.BudCAD.com
Legal descriptions and more in LDT and Civil3D.

"azrdgldr" wrote in message news:6351846@discussion.autodesk.com...
Shame on you, you made me go open some of my old 3.5" disks to try to find
(couldn't find) an old file I used to use for some samples I have printed
out. If I remember correctly I used to convert a rw5 or ASCII file to a cr5
file and then do a import field book with the cr5 file and that brought in
the points with the linework. That's how far I go back in my old age (47).
Haven't tried this in the newer versions cause I got away from doing survey
drafting. Hope this helps if not let me know maybe I could try to remember
more down the line.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

import the attached file using "import field book file" under survey module
and you should have some line work going on.
This is for LDD4, v 2004 and works fine as long as field crew collects
properly. This was a straight ascii file from Trimble GPS controller
converted to a *.fbk file.

Let me know how it worked. Comes in fine for me after some minor editing

--
sbaumer, PLS

wrote in message news:6351649@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello Fellow LDDers, I am happy to tell you that I have my point groups and
description keys set up. When I import a csv file the points are filtered to
the respective point groups,symbols appear and everything gets placed on the
proper layer. My next hurdle is to figure out how to generate line work from
the field codes. Our field codes have the B,E,BC,EC parameters to begin a
line,end a line,begin a curve,end a curve...attached to them...for
example...code BB means bottom of bank...to start a line the field surveyor
enters BB B to begin the line describing the bottom of the bank and BB E to
end and so on...Can AutoCAD process these codes to automatically generate
line work. We currently collect GPS data with survey controller and process
through a feature code library in TGO.This produces linework which we then
export a DXF to use as a XREF to help draw in lines. Does LDD 2008 have the
capacity to do this? Is there a lsp routine that generates linework from
points without going from point to point? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks...Its been raining here in Phoenix for about a week...very strange
for the desert...See You,rlshound
Message 6 of 9
dacermak

I may be wrong, but I believe that the begin and end codes, etc. need to come before the descriptor. Thus "Begin Bottom Bank" would be B BB.
I've always used the .FBK file in LDD 2008 to generate the line work. I am not sure that 2008 will generate line work from the coordinate file. Normally, in 2008 and before, the field codes are converted in the .FBK file and that is where the linework happens.
There are "add on" programs though that use the coordinate files for the linework. Edited by: dacermak@comcast.net on Apr 20, 2010 2:06 AM
Message 7 of 9
Chasethewind

LDC 2008 will create linework from a points file. In Survey Link DC convert using a coordinate file, output to a autodesk-softdesk FBK file.

"B" space code.
"MCS" space code is for multi curve start.
"MCE" is for multi curve end.

Setup your figure prefix library. This tells you that your "BB" code is Bottom of Bank and places the line on the appropriate layer. Takes a while to do this.

Setup your descriptor key file for importing symbols.

There are a lot of posts on this subject.

Regards,
Message 8 of 9
Neilw_05
in reply to: dacermak

I am trying to set up our 2004 Land Desktop software to generate fieldbooks from our Trimble data collector files. Seeing that some claim to have success with this in newer versions, I'm hoping there is a solution for LDT 2004 as well.

Here is the problem I am having:

Using the Survey module I access the Data Collection/Input Link. From there I use the Trimble DC File Import/Export routine under the Conversion menu. Every time I attempt to import a .DC file I recieve an error : "Import failed. Angle unit mils is not supported in TDS job file. This DC fille cannot be converted". I get this error on every .DC file I've tried.

Assuming I cannot use the DC file import tool, how else can I convert the Trimble data to a field book for automatic linework?

We do have Trimble Geomatics Office which can process the data and export the symbols and linework to a DWG file, but we would like to make this work exclusively in Land Desktop so that users without TGO can process the files. TGO requires the line codes to follow the descriptiors whereas LDT requires the line codes to precede the descriptors. Thus our collection coding proceedure is not compatible between the 2 applications. Also, none of our DWG Symbol can be used in TGO.

Another strategy that I've considered is having the surveyors output a CSV file that we can use to generate fieldbooks. However, the CSV files cannot handle notes in the collected data. Therefore all linecodes have to be applied to the point descriptors in order for Survey to create a fieldbook with figures. The problem with this approach is that when the line codes are part of the point descriptors, the portion of the point descriptions required to generate a figure get removed from the points during the conversion to field book process. This in turn causes problems with DESCKEY matching and parameters.

At this point I'm at a dead end. Unless I find a solution we will have to purchase some 3rd party software or use TGO to process our field data. I hope that others have figured out a solution to this problem after all these years.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 9 of 9
Neilw_05
in reply to: Neilw_05

Well I am pleased to have found part of a solution with CadApps free Stringer Connect application. I had looked at it before but did not realize it can output to Fieldbook format, and it does not strip off parts of the point descriptions in the process as does Survey Link in Land Desktop.

With this application we can use line codes in our point descriptions and after outputting to CSV format, Stringer Connect will read the line codes and create the fieldbook with proper coding.

A big thanks and well done CadApps!

Now for the part that is not resolved. If we are dependent on CSV format we will not have the ability to translate note records from the collector to the fieldbook. Thus we cannot use a note to make the RECALL command start a new figure from a common point on another figure. Is there a way to do this with line codes in the point description?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report