AutoCAD Land Desktop (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ldd/acad.exe will not stop running upon exit...

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
Anonymous
1949 Views, 20 Replies

ldd/acad.exe will not stop running upon exit...

in the last few weeks i have noticed that acad.exe will not stop running... i mean it appears to close but remains in memory- when i open my task manager even a day later i can still have several acad.exe processes running- taking up any where from 20 megs to several hundred megs of memory each... i then have to manually end then in the task manager... is this a windows issue? or a ldd/acad issue? i have heard of other having this problem and just wanted to dig a little deeper- thanks jjd
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I have this happen as well. It can also cause your LDD to stop loading when it gets to the acad.dwt file. You have to manually terminate the running processes in the task manager, and then to get your current session to load, kill the WSCommCntr1.exe process. I think most of the trouble is being caused by the communications center in LDD not allowing the program to exit all the way out. -- Dennis Hyman, Cad Operator, Survey Dept. Stock & Associates Consulting Engineers, Inc. St. Louis, Missouri Windows XP Pro, SP2 512mb RAM, 2.4Ghz P4 GForce 4 MX video card LDD2004 Map, Civil Design & Survey "jd-drafter" wrote in message news:4214c8c6_2@newsprd01... > in the last few weeks i have noticed that acad.exe will not stop > running... > i mean it appears to close but remains in memory- > > when i open my task manager even a day later i can still have several > acad.exe processes running- taking up any where from 20 megs to several > hundred megs of memory each... > > i then have to manually end then in the task manager... is this a windows > issue? or a ldd/acad issue? > > i have heard of other having this problem and just wanted to dig a little > deeper- > > thanks > > jjd > >
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous

"Dennis Hyman" wrote in message news:4214ca3a$1_3@newsprd01... > I have this happen as well. It can also cause your LDD to stop loading when > it gets to the acad.dwt file. You have to manually terminate the running > processes in the task manager, and then to get your current session to load, > kill the WSCommCntr1.exe process. I think most of the trouble is being > caused by the communications center in LDD not allowing the program to exit > all the way out. that would make sense... i can end the WSCommCntr1.exe process with no apparent issues- but that still seems silly- i think i searched the knowledge base and it had no matches to my query- maybe i need to refine it- can we get some autodesk input here? jjd
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous

I have had that happen too! Joe "jd-drafter" wrote in message news:4214c8c6_2@newsprd01... > in the last few weeks i have noticed that acad.exe will not stop > running... > i mean it appears to close but remains in memory- > > when i open my task manager even a day later i can still have several > acad.exe processes running- taking up any where from 20 megs to several > hundred megs of memory each... > > i then have to manually end then in the task manager... is this a windows > issue? or a ldd/acad issue? > > i have heard of other having this problem and just wanted to dig a little > deeper- > > thanks > > jjd > >
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous

"Joe Bouza" wrote in message news:4215050e$1_3@newsprd01... > I have had that happen too! > alright... so then we are on to something- what is causing this and how can it be fixed....? jjd
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous

Try disabling the communications center in LDD, and see if your problems still continue. "jd-drafter" wrote in message news:4215064d$1_1@newsprd01... > > "Joe Bouza" wrote in message > news:4215050e$1_3@newsprd01... >> I have had that happen too! >> > alright... so then we are on to something- > > what is causing this and how can it be fixed....? > > jjd > > >
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous

"Dennis Hyman" wrote in message news:421506f7$1_1@newsprd01... > Try disabling the communications center in LDD, and see if your problems > still continue. > well yesterday i did stop the WSCommCntr1.exe process.. and i still left an acad.exe process open all night until this morning- when i stopped it... as far as disabling the comm center in ldd- i have ldd2004- i have set the comm. center to ondemand only but do not see any other options for complete disability... am i missing the boat here? thanks jjd
Message 8 of 21
ACADuser

You need to install the "CAD Manager Control Utility" from the CD. Using this program you can then disable the Communication Center.
ACADuser
Civil 3D 2018, Raster Design 2018
Windows 7 Enterprise
Dell Precision 5810 Workstation
Intel Xeon E5-1630 v3 @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4 GB GDDR5
DUAL 27" Dell UltraSharp U2713HM
Message 9 of 21
ACADuser

I have had this happen on occasion.

Last week one of our IT people came over to install C3D. After the install the tech decided to test run LDT to see if there were any immediate problems. LDT started up reallllly sloooooow, the task manager showed "acad.exe" running even after killing the LDT process. Turns out the tech "double clicked" the startup icon one to many times. I'm beggining to wonder if this is what I have been doing.
ACADuser
Civil 3D 2018, Raster Design 2018
Windows 7 Enterprise
Dell Precision 5810 Workstation
Intel Xeon E5-1630 v3 @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4 GB GDDR5
DUAL 27" Dell UltraSharp U2713HM
Message 10 of 21
Anonymous

Looks like I found a way to turn it off, but you need your CD to do it. From the Help: Turn Communication Center On or Off The CAD Manager Control utility turns Communication Center on and off. For example, if you want to prevent Communication Center from sending information to Autodesk, you can turn it off. Information about how to use the utility is available by installing and running the utility, and then clicking Help in the CAD Manager Control Utility window. To install the utility, double-click setup.exe on the product CD. In the CD Browser, click the Network Deployment tab, and under Install Supplemental Tools, click Autodesk CAD Manager Tools 2.0. Under Autodesk CAD Manager Tools 2.0, click Install. After you install the CAD Manager Control utility, you access it from the Start menu (Windows). "jd-drafter" wrote in message news:4216084e$1_2@newsprd01... > > "Dennis Hyman" wrote in message > news:421506f7$1_1@newsprd01... >> Try disabling the communications center in LDD, and see if your problems >> still continue. >> > > well yesterday i did stop the WSCommCntr1.exe process.. and i still left > an > acad.exe process open all night until this morning- when i stopped it... > as > far as disabling the comm center in ldd- i have ldd2004- i have set the > comm. center to ondemand only but do not see any other options for > complete > disability... > > am i missing the boat here? > > thanks > > jjd > >
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous

Anybody mind if I suggest an obvious answer... Logout at the end of the day. You can also use a Logout Script to clean up all the ac$ files left behind after a crash, and any other trash you don't need anymore also. And I've been known to share this quote, as necessary; "Restarts work wonders." -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "ACADuser" wrote in message news:28345394.1108743070679.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I have had this happen on occasion. > > Last week one of our IT people came over to install C3D. After the install the tech decided to test run LDT to see if there were any immediate problems. LDT started up reallllly sloooooow, the task manager showed "acad.exe" running even after killing the LDT process. Turns out the tech "double clicked" the startup icon one to many times. I'm beggining to wonder if this is what I have been doing.
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous

That may be a work-around, but it still doesn't solve the original problem. Something is not letting LDD exit completely, and it's not an isolated incident. I contend that it's the communications center. "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:4216488e$1_2@newsprd01... > Anybody mind if I suggest an obvious answer... > > Logout at the end of the day. > > You can also use a Logout Script to clean up all the ac$ files left behind > after a crash, and any other trash you don't need anymore also. > > And I've been known to share this quote, as necessary; > "Restarts work wonders." > > -- > Don Reichle > "King Of Work-Arounds" > LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 > On WIN2K SP4 > Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 > 512MB RAM > NVIDIA 32MB AGP > > > "ACADuser" wrote in message > news:28345394.1108743070679.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... >> I have had this happen on occasion. >> >> Last week one of our IT people came over to install C3D. After the >> install > the tech decided to test run LDT to see if there were any immediate > problems. LDT started up reallllly sloooooow, the task manager showed > "acad.exe" running even after killing the LDT process. Turns out the tech > "double clicked" the startup icon one to many times. I'm beggining to > wonder > if this is what I have been doing. > >
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous

Hey Dennis; As I am not running Comm. Center, but experience the same behavior that you all have expressed, I think you may be looking for a new culprit. AutoCAD has never been a good memory manager since I became involved in it ten years ago. I think its just the nature of the beast, so my WA assumes almost SOP status, IMHO. Gee, three acronyms in the same sentence. I'm going for "Personal Best". :-) -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "Dennis Hyman" wrote in message news:4216494e$1_1@newsprd01... > That may be a work-around, but it still doesn't solve the original problem. > Something is not letting LDD exit completely, and it's not an isolated > incident. I contend that it's the communications center. > > > "Don Reichle" wrote in message > news:4216488e$1_2@newsprd01... > > Anybody mind if I suggest an obvious answer... > > > > Logout at the end of the day. > > > > You can also use a Logout Script to clean up all the ac$ files left behind > > after a crash, and any other trash you don't need anymore also. > > > > And I've been known to share this quote, as necessary; > > "Restarts work wonders." > > > > -- > > Don Reichle > > "King Of Work-Arounds" > > LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 > > On WIN2K SP4 > > Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 > > 512MB RAM > > NVIDIA 32MB AGP > > > > > > "ACADuser" wrote in message > > news:28345394.1108743070679.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > >> I have had this happen on occasion. > >> > >> Last week one of our IT people came over to install C3D. After the > >> install > > the tech decided to test run LDT to see if there were any immediate > > problems. LDT started up reallllly sloooooow, the task manager showed > > "acad.exe" running even after killing the LDT process. Turns out the tech > > "double clicked" the startup icon one to many times. I'm beggining to > > wonder > > if this is what I have been doing. > > > > > >
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous

don, any reason that some of your processes would be shown in caps when mine are in lowercase? specifically the "lsass.exe" caught my eye... off topic but just wondering... jjd
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous

None known by me (unless its the difference between my WIN2K, and your whatever), since the IT staff set up the machine. If you start having trouble sleeping over it, I can ask. :-) -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "jd-drafter" wrote in message news:4216682d$1_2@newsprd01... don, any reason that some of your processes would be shown in caps when mine are in lowercase? specifically the "lsass.exe" caught my eye... off topic but just wondering... jjd
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous

no big deal- i am on xp- might be the diff- no lost sleep here- thanks jjd "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:421670e4_3@newsprd01... None known by me (unless its the difference between my WIN2K, and your whatever), since the IT staff set up the machine. If you start having trouble sleeping over it, I can ask. :-) -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "jd-drafter" wrote in message news:4216682d$1_2@newsprd01... don, any reason that some of your processes would be shown in caps when mine are in lowercase? specifically the "lsass.exe" caught my eye... off topic but just wondering... jjd
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous

Hey J-squared: I also have XP-Pro at home and will check tonight. I'll post here tomorrow. -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "jd-drafter" wrote in message news:42167291_2@newsprd01... no big deal- i am on xp- might be the diff- no lost sleep here- thanks jjd "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:421670e4_3@newsprd01... None known by me (unless its the difference between my WIN2K, and your whatever), since the IT staff set up the machine. If you start having trouble sleeping over it, I can ask. :-) -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "jd-drafter" wrote in message news:4216682d$1_2@newsprd01... don, any reason that some of your processes would be shown in caps when mine are in lowercase? specifically the "lsass.exe" caught my eye... off topic but just wondering... jjd
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous

i'll check also... jjd "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:421678cb$1_2@newsprd01... Hey J-squared: I also have XP-Pro at home and will check tonight. I'll post here tomorrow. -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "jd-drafter" wrote in message news:42167291_2@newsprd01... no big deal- i am on xp- might be the diff- no lost sleep here- thanks jjd "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:421670e4_3@newsprd01... None known by me (unless its the difference between my WIN2K, and your whatever), since the IT staff set up the machine. If you start having trouble sleeping over it, I can ask. :-) -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "jd-drafter" wrote in message news:4216682d$1_2@newsprd01... don, any reason that some of your processes would be shown in caps when mine are in lowercase? specifically the "lsass.exe" caught my eye... off topic but just wondering... jjd
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous

So jjd; As you probably found out by now this seems to be an XP "enhancement". I guess Uncle Bill needed to have proof that something was changed from WIN2K. :-) -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "jd-drafter" wrote in message news:42167f1d_2@newsprd01... i'll check also... jjd "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:421678cb$1_2@newsprd01... Hey J-squared: I also have XP-Pro at home and will check tonight. I'll post here tomorrow. -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "jd-drafter" wrote in message news:42167291_2@newsprd01... no big deal- i am on xp- might be the diff- no lost sleep here- thanks jjd "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:421670e4_3@newsprd01... None known by me (unless its the difference between my WIN2K, and your whatever), since the IT staff set up the machine. If you start having trouble sleeping over it, I can ask. :-) -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "jd-drafter" wrote in message news:4216682d$1_2@newsprd01... don, any reason that some of your processes would be shown in caps when mine are in lowercase? specifically the "lsass.exe" caught my eye... off topic but just wondering... jjd
Message 20 of 21
Anonymous

Hey I just wanted to throw my two cents in. I also ran into the same problem or something similar to that about two weeks ago on another computer in our firm.
I do not believe cad is the culprit for your problem if you are also having difficulty turning your computer off.
You could possibly have spyware on your computer.
I had to do a system restore in safe mode to get everything to work properly.
But you could go to microsoft.com and download their new anti-spyware beta I really like it.
Just some thoughts
Thanks
Bert

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report