Did you mean: 

Labeling roads imported from GIS

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mgmark
1441 Views, 4 Replies

Labeling roads imported from GIS

Hey guys,

I imported a road centerline shapefile from ArcGIS into Autodesk Land Desktop 2004 and want to label the road names with the labels aligned with the roads. I created object data when I imported the shapefile and was able to include the attribute table with the road names. In Autodesk Map, I created and defined the settings for the road labels in the Define Annotation Template from the Annotation toolbar and set the justification 'Left' when editing the annotation text template. When I go to 'Insert Annotation' and select the roads I would like to label, the names always come out horizontal and I have to move and rotate the labels to fit with the direction of the roads. Is there a way to label the roads so they can come out aligned with the road. I tried to set the justification to 'Fit' and 'Align' instead of Left only to have little or no luck.

Also, how do I turn off the Single Document Mode (SDI) in Land Desktop 2004 so I can perform these same operations without having to open up Autodesk Map? Everytime I try to create a new annotation template, I get a reading that the annotation editor template can not be invoked in Single Document mode. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael Mark
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rtweit
in reply to: mgmark

Hi Michael, I posted a string yesterday in regards to essentially the same thing that you are trying to accomplish. However I am attempting to label parcels not roads. It seems as if though you have gotten a step or two further in the process then I have. I cannot to get my Parcel ID number (Part of the attribute table for the shape file i am using) to display at all, it seems that you have been able to atleast get your street names to come through. I believe I am getting hung up in the "Define Annotation Template" step, Maybe?. I am confident that my attribute table came through upon import of the Shape file because I can see the attributes in my properties box, as I created the data when I imported. I cant figure out where in the settings I define what attribute I would like to use to label my polygons.

I know this isnt an answer to your question but any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Ryan Tweit
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

When you insert the annotation set the rotation to
.angle (PERIOD angle). If the roads are short line segments it works, if they
are plines you will still have to adjust a few of them but not all of them.

Murph

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Hey
guys, I imported a road centerline shapefile from ArcGIS into Autodesk Land
Desktop 2004 and want to label the road names with the labels aligned with the
roads. I created object data when I imported the shapefile and was able to
include the attribute table with the road names. In Autodesk Map, I created
and defined the settings for the road labels in the Define Annotation Template
from the Annotation toolbar and set the justification 'Left' when editing the
annotation text template. When I go to 'Insert Annotation' and select the
roads I would like to label, the names always come out horizontal and I have
to move and rotate the labels to fit with the direction of the roads. Is there
a way to label the roads so they can come out aligned with the road. I tried
to set the justification to 'Fit' and 'Align' instead of Left only to have
little or no luck. Also, how do I turn off the Single Document Mode (SDI) in
Land Desktop 2004 so I can perform these same operations without having to
open up Autodesk Map? Everytime I try to create a new annotation template, I
get a reading that the annotation editor template can not be invoked in Single
Document mode. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Michael
Mark
Message 4 of 5
mgmark

Murph,

Thanks! I tried entering '.angle' in the angle setting, but then noticed that I have to type it in as an expression. That will make a big difference for me in the future.

Michael
Message 5 of 5
mgmark

In response to my second question regarding changing the single document interface mode in Land Desktop 2004 to a multiple drawing interface in order to define the map annotation template, I found out that you can not perform that operation in that application. I typed 'SDI' in the command box then typed '0' in order to turn on the multiple drawing interface, only to find out that Land Desktop does not give me that option.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report