Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with windows 7 and Cad 2009 LDD

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
kevingrant8822
3134 Views, 9 Replies

Issues with windows 7 and Cad 2009 LDD

I am having issues with cad 2009 and Windows 7 when using LDD in cad 2009 on a large drawing LDD is freezing and hanging when I try and draw a line or a circle, I am able to pan and zoom with out a problem but the program hangs otherwise. This is a new computer with a intel i7 CPU 8gb 64 bit windows 7 os I can hit ESC and cancel the command the I am trying to do and Cad will unfreeze and I can pan an zoom again but as soon as I try and do another command I have issues again with the program hanging.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pcchenard
in reply to: kevingrant8822

We are also having issues with Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion 2009 on Windows 7 workstations (both 64bit & 32bit, and both nVidia and AMD video cards).  The main problem we have is that some solid fills and solid hatches do not display.  They are basically invisible.  However, the problem does not occur with all solid fills and solid hatches.  Some display fine and some don't.  One in particular that doesn't show up are the solid filled arrow heads of dimension objects.

To make this problem even more confusing I have had one workstation where everything worked fine for one user but not for another.  Recreating the local user profile for the problem user did not fix the problem and any new users also have the problem.  Then after a couple of weeks the user who was not having any problems started to have the problem.

I'm at a loss as to what this would be.  I have tried several different AMD and nVidia video cards in these workstations hoping that it was simply a video card issue of some kind but that does not seem to be the case.

I'm surprised to see several other people post that they have not had any problems with LDC 2009 on Windows 7 workstations because I have had a problem on 4 different models of Dell workstations all with different processors and video cards.

We are getting ready to roll out Civil 3D in the next 4-6 months and I would really like to have everyone running Windows 7 64bit workstations with both LDC 2009 and Civil 3D on them.  But at this point it looks like we will be stuck with Windows XP 32bit until we are ready to completely phase out LDC 2009.

Message 3 of 10

We have the problem as well with the Arrows not showing up with LDD 2009 and windows 7, but when we open up Cad 2009 with the same drawings the arrows do show up. The main issue that we have is that we are still using LDD and Autocad is moving away from this product, and the change over to Civil 3D is hard because CIivil 3D does not use blocks the way LDD does. When importing servey points Civil 3d does not map the codes to the block library to bring in with the points. There may be a way to do this but I have no time to work it through. 

Message 4 of 10
pcchenard

That's correct that Civil 3D does not use blocks in the same way that LDC does.  In Civil 3D you have to set up point styles that use your old AutoCAD symbol blocks as the display marker.  It is easy to setup but it is very time consuming.

Without a fix for the arrowhead (solid fill/hatch) problem there is no way we can use LDC 2009 on Windows 7 for production work while in transition to Civil 3D.

Message 5 of 10
kevingrant8822
in reply to: pcchenard

I was going through the support and looking online for any information on the block interface, I have found that there is info on setting it up. I have gone through some of the steps to do it with not luck, I have talked to some other people that I have worked with in the past and have been told that they have done it (but not sure if they are talking about blocks with attributes or the way I was able to set it up with a marker). I have also been told that the block replaces the point marker and that there is no way that they have found so that this does not happen. I have been able to set it up to use a marker (block) that does not have any attributes and you are not able to modify. All our blocks for HP, FH, SN etc. use attributes  that we are able to rotate, move and change to suit each drawing that we work on. We like to have the text with the block for each read right in the drawing. Right now the only way to have it set up is to place all the blocks that we use in the block at the location of the survey points. 

Message 6 of 10
pcchenard

This is all off topic for this thread but I'll address it here anyhow.

In Civil 3D the AutoCAD block object is only used as a marker for the point style.  You cannot use attributes in point styles.  However, you also setup a custom point label style to be used along with each different point style.  Your description keys will determine which point style and point label style are to be used for each survey field code.  The point label styles essentially replace your block attributes.  If you setup your description keys properly they will take portions of the field code/note and insert it into the point label style as you see fit.  The point styles and point label styles can also be set to dynamically adjust their size and rotation based on drawing or viewport scale and rotation.

Message 7 of 10
kevingrant8822

Thanks for some insite to an other issue, I still have not been able to solve my original issue and so I have download and installed Civil 3D 2012 and I am going through civil again so that I can move away from 2009 and LDD. The larger a survey gets the more problems I run into, it does not seem that there is any soulition to the problem of 2009 and Win 7. I am thinking that I have it Dowloaded in LDD and move right to Civil 3D so that I can avoid some of the problems that LDD has as well as the problems that I have run into with 3D. Hope there is not an issue with 2012 and arrows

Message 8 of 10
pcchenard

@pcchenard wrote:

We are also having issues with Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion 2009 on Windows 7 workstations (both 64bit & 32bit, and both nVidia and AMD video cards).  The main problem we have is that some solid fills and solid hatches do not display.  They are basically invisible.  However, the problem does not occur with all solid fills and solid hatches.  Some display fine and some don't.  One in particular that doesn't show up are the solid filled arrow heads of dimension objects.

To make this problem even more confusing I have had one workstation where everything worked fine for one user but not for another.  Recreating the local user profile for the problem user did not fix the problem and any new users also have the problem.  Then after a couple of weeks the user who was not having any problems started to have the problem.

I'm at a loss as to what this would be.  I have tried several different AMD and nVidia video cards in these workstations hoping that it was simply a video card issue of some kind but that does not seem to be the case.

I'm surprised to see several other people post that they have not had any problems with LDC 2009 on Windows 7 workstations because I have had a problem on 4 different models of Dell workstations all with different processors and video cards.

We are getting ready to roll out Civil 3D in the next 4-6 months and I would really like to have everyone running Windows 7 64bit workstations with both LDC 2009 and Civil 3D on them.  But at this point it looks like we will be stuck with Windows XP 32bit until we are ready to completely phase out LDC 2009.

HEY AUTODESK!!!!!!  Any idea what is causing this problem?  I know you don't want to support Land Desktop anymore but I'm sure I'm not the only one who is stuck in this position.  I would love to move forward with Civil 3D but that is going to be difficult if I can't run it side by side with Land Desktop 2009 during the transition period on an 64-bit Windows 7 box, since 32-bit WIndows XP doesn't support enought RAM to run Civil 3D very well.
Message 9 of 10
Jeff_M

If you are referring to this problem:

pcchenard wrote:

The main problem we have is that some solid fills and solid hatches do not display.  They are basically invisible.  However, the problem does not occur with all solid fills and solid hatches.  Some display fine and some don't.  One in particular that doesn't show up are the solid filled arrow heads of dimension objects.

Have you checked for, and installed, hotfixes & updates? Such as This One? There are also other updates HERE

The only problems I encounter with LDT2009 on Win7 x64, are trying do things that I've tried hard to forget. I hate going back to a project stuck in that format, C3D is that much of an improvement (imho).

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 10 of 10
pcchenard
in reply to: Jeff_M

@Jeff_M wrote:

If you are referring to this problem:

@pcchenard wrote:

The main problem we have is that some solid fills and solid hatches do not display.  They are basically invisible.  However, the problem does not occur with all solid fills and solid hatches.  Some display fine and some don't.  One in particular that doesn't show up are the solid filled arrow heads of dimension objects.

Have you checked for, and installed, hotfixes & updates? Such as This One? There are also other updates HERE

The only problems I encounter with LDT2009 on Win7 x64, are trying do things that I've tried hard to forget. I hate going back to a project stuck in that format, C3D is that much of an improvement (imho).

I'm not sure how I missed that hotfix but that seems to have fixed it.  Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report