Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

import/convert Lat Long to state plane

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
grim
5241 Views, 11 Replies

import/convert Lat Long to state plane

Using LDD2004. I have drawing in NAD83 state planes. I've assigned the proper coordinate system to the drawing. Trying to import .csv file containing Lat Longs. Set up a custom import format, checked "coord zone xfer", picked Lat Long from selection box, and set up ENZD. Upon import, points come in with NO conversion. Am I mission something?
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: grim

Do you need to set the import format to read angles and not East & North? I've tried this in the past with no great succcess, but there are a few different ways to read in angles ...
Message 3 of 12
grim

No angles. They are GPS'd sample points.
This actually brings up something I've always been curious about. Under "assign coord system" in map, you can set up your drawing to be in Lat/Long. How does Autocad deal with Lat Longs? Does it convert deg/min/secs to decimal?
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

When you assign a coordinate system in Map or set the Zone in LDT Drawing Settings, all you are doing is defining what the coordinates in your drawing represent as relates to Lat/Long as transformed by the chosen projection system. This also allows you to bring in other data (DRG's, DEM's. orthophotos, tax map parcel data, etc.) that may be based on a different projection (NAD27 vs NAD83 for example). When you query a Lat/Long of a point ion your drawing, the coordinates are gleaned and then projected to Lat/Long via your chosen projection. As you can see by the rather long lists of available projections, it is absolutely critical to make sure your data is set correctly and that you know exactly what system was used for your attached data, if any. If you have Lat/Long data for a set of points, in Survey >> Data Colletion/Input >> Control Points >>Latitude/Longitude you can set points directly from their Lat/Long and they will be converted from LL to NE coordinates based on your current 'zone' or projection system. This is the only way I'm aware of to manually input LL data into LDT. -- Karl Fuls PLS Autocad AEC Training and Consulting Assistant Moderator - Autodesk Discussion Groups grim wrote: > No angles. They are GPS'd sample points. This actually brings up > something I've always been curious about. Under "assign coord > system" in map, you can set up your drawing to be in Lat/Long. How > does Autocad deal with Lat Longs? Does it convert deg/min/secs to > decimal?
Message 5 of 12
grim

Thanks. I will try the manual method. The reason I brought up the follow-up question was because I was thinking of setting a new, blank drawing to be Lat/Long, import the points without conversion, then do a drawing file conversion with Map to get to my needed state plane system. But I don't think I would trust the results and really would have no way to confirm its accuracy.
Message 6 of 12
mark.thomas

What about using another program like Corpscon to convert your data to NAD83.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

One thing you should be aware of, your source points data file will need to have a field that indicates the projection of the points. Thus you would need to add a field in your CSV file and populate it with the projection code (i.e. LL84). This will tell LDD what projection the points data are in and it can then transform it during import, provided you have identified the field for the projection in your custom points import template. I have not used this for Lat longs before, so I am not sure LDD will transform it. For reasons I do not understand, LDD does like to transform Lat/longs. "grim" wrote in message news:32804563.1077828453868.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Using LDD2004. I have drawing in NAD83 state planes. I've assigned the proper coordinate system to the drawing. Trying to import .csv file containing Lat Longs. Set up a custom import format, checked "coord zone xfer", picked Lat Long from selection box, and set up ENZD. Upon import, points come in with NO conversion. Am I mission something?
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

But why not use the MAP he paid for? Import the points into a drawing and assign a coordinate system. OPen the target drawing in MAP and assign the system desired, attach the LL drawing and query... mho, scott -- scott mceachron total cad systems - dallas "MarkSThomas" wrote in message news:30986806.1077892984477.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1... > What about using another program like Corpscon to convert your data to NAD83.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Hi, I had no problems doing this when I split the raw data file into degree latitude minutes latitude second latitude degree longitude minutes longitude seconds longitude I used Excel to do that and saved the data as comma separated which is easy from Excel. I then: Defined a file format to reflect that data with [Points][Import/Export][Format Manager] Set the drawing zone in Drawing Setup to be the one I wanted Imported the points It worked perfectly. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "grim" wrote in message news:32804563.1077828453868.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Using LDD2004. I have drawing in NAD83 state planes. I've assigned the proper coordinate system to the drawing. Trying to import .csv file containing Lat Longs. Set up a custom import format, checked "coord zone xfer", picked Lat Long from selection box, and set up ENZD. Upon import, points come in with NO conversion. Am I mission something?
Message 10 of 12
grim

Thanks, Laurie and all. I already gave up and passed it off to our GIS person who converted with Arcview and then gave it back to me. If I have time, I'll try splitting the data and see if it works out. I'm sure this is not the last time I'll be asked to do this.
Message 11 of 12
agatetech

I am trying to convert lats and long to state plane coordinates. I went through the instruction sheet step by step and I get unexpected results. the northing and eastings don't change however the lat and longs do. I tried the query but it says that it won't query civil3d cogo points. any suggestions?

Message 12 of 12
antoniovinci
in reply to: agatetech

agatetech wrote:

it won't query civil3d cogo points

Please save the drawing as 2004 release, zip and attach it here, thx.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report