AutoCAD Land Desktop (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I generate an importable .dsc file for civil 3D LDD 2009 from scratch?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jlopez582
915 Views, 2 Replies

How do I generate an importable .dsc file for civil 3D LDD 2009 from scratch?

I am trying to generate an importable .dsc file from scratch for my description key manager. I have the table set up in .xls, .xlsx, and a .txt file. Which file do I use and what is the process to convert to an importable .dsc file. Is this even possible? Please help.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: jlopez582

I tried this a short while ago and got an improper format or type error.  The dsc file according to the help file is a Softdesk 7.x or 8.x file and I am wondering if it was outsourced or what.  I knew you needed it to be a comma delimited file.  I thought I just didn't have it in the proper format, columns and such.  So I created an example description file in LDD and tried opening the default.mdb file, it stated I needed Access to open such file.  I download a program called MDBPLUS (free) and was able to open the mdb file to check the column format.  I reset up the old dsc file, couldn't remember the last time I used this file whether in LDD or not, and tried importing it and got the above mentioned error again.

So what I did was open the mdb file again and imported the comma delimited file into the default.  Went thru the options, applied the fields and keys, and viola, it worked.

It's been so long that I can't remember what the proper format (column wise) is for the dsc file, thought I had it because I saved such file for future usage.  Hopefully this helps you, if not you have another option to try if you don't hear from anyone else.

Message 3 of 3
jlopez582
in reply to: jlopez582

Yup! That worked.

To reiterate...

I created the descriptor key file in the descriptor key manager to generate an .mdb file in the "cad project"\cogo\desckey folder. I then took that .mdb file in access and imported my comma delimited file to get the data in the mdb file, applying the options and fileds as needed. Then took that "loaded" .mdb file and saved over the one i started with in the "cad project"\cogo\desckey folder and voila!

Thanks for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report