Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I do a road widening?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Topher
445 Views, 7 Replies

How do I do a road widening?

I'm trying to do a preliminary estimate for widening a road to include a left turn lane. On the right, there will be a new shoulder, on the left, the road will be widened from the ex. edge to the new edge, then a 1.5m shoulder & a ditch.
I thought of creating a template & then attaching subassemblies, with the first left transition being the existing edge of pavement where the widening subassembly attaches & the first right transition being the existing edge of pavement where the new shoulder would go. It works for the shoulder, but subassemblies can't be streched, so the road wideing won't work.
The only thing I can think of is to create a template for the road wideing with the ref. point being the ex edge of road & the first transition being the proposed edge of road. I'd then have to do something similar for the shoulder side & create sections for the wideing & sections for the shoulder & then add the quantities together.
Is there a better way?
I sure wish subassemblies could be stretched.

Chris
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Topher

Use transition profiles and transitions in your templates. There is a routine in Road Design Tools, Road Widening, that will create the 2 transition profiles that represent your existing and proposed edge of pavement, it also ddraws the widening on the section with labels for offset and elevation and finnally it generates a reportshowing offset elevations and grades for each station. View the AVI that shows the process including attaching the alignments and profiles in Design Control http://www.rsteltman.com/content/downloads/road_wide.avi . Road Design Tools is part of the Road Tools suite of routine that enhances Civil/Design for Road Designers. Download the FREE 30 day fully functioning evaluation version http://www.rsteltman.com/ "Topher" wrote in message news:4357985.1098283929525.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I'm trying to do a preliminary estimate for widening a road to include a left turn lane. On the right, there will be a new shoulder, on the left, the road will be widened from the ex. edge to the new edge, then a 1.5m shoulder & a ditch. > I thought of creating a template & then attaching subassemblies, with the first left transition being the existing edge of pavement where the widening subassembly attaches & the first right transition being the existing edge of pavement where the new shoulder would go. It works for the shoulder, but subassemblies can't be streched, so the road wideing won't work. > The only thing I can think of is to create a template for the road wideing with the ref. point being the ex edge of road & the first transition being the proposed edge of road. I'd then have to do something similar for the shoulder side & create sections for the wideing & sections for the shoulder & then add the quantities together. > Is there a better way? > I sure wish subassemblies could be stretched. > > Chris
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Hi Topher, Some may disagree, but I just take the -EX eop as a 3dpoly use a GO to project a cross slope, -make a temp surface from the GO - project the proposed eop onto the surface -measure ACAD points every 25-50 feet -convert to LDD point with a label style that adds .5 ft to get: TC 100.50 BC 100.00 and I'm done in about 5 minutes ready to widen the next section Joe "Topher" wrote in message news:4357985.1098283929525.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I'm trying to do a preliminary estimate for widening a road to include a left turn lane. On the right, there will be a new shoulder, on the left, the road will be widened from the ex. edge to the new edge, then a 1.5m shoulder & a ditch. > I thought of creating a template & then attaching subassemblies, with the first left transition being the existing edge of pavement where the widening subassembly attaches & the first right transition being the existing edge of pavement where the new shoulder would go. It works for the shoulder, but subassemblies can't be streched, so the road wideing won't work. > The only thing I can think of is to create a template for the road wideing with the ref. point being the ex edge of road & the first transition being the proposed edge of road. I'd then have to do something similar for the shoulder side & create sections for the wideing & sections for the shoulder & then add the quantities together. > Is there a better way? > I sure wish subassemblies could be stretched. > > Chris
Message 4 of 8
Randy S

what do you mean by "GO"
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Robert, I don't know if you saw my recent post on varying crossgrades of an existing road. I wonder if you have any tools that will handle this. I have to widen a road but as the EP moves out, it needs to hold the varying crossgrade of the exisitng road. I don't think I can accomplish this with templates can I? Do you have any tools that will make this easier?
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I am attempting to do the same thing with a road widening that you say, but I am confused as to what is a GO. What do you do if the existing cross slope varies? How do you project that?
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Randy, A GO is a Grading Object. -- Brian Hailey LDT2005 C3D2005 XP Pro - SP 2 P4 2.8GHz 1.00 GB of RAM "Randy S" wrote in message news:7589428.1102384250566.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > what do you mean by "GO"
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

There is a routine in Road Design Tools, Road Widening, that will place transition profiles for existing and proposed edge of pavement on profile, show the widening on the sections and generate a report showing existing and proposed conditions.View Road Widening AVI http://www.rsteltman.com/content/downloads/road_wide.avi . Road Design Tools is part of the Road Tools suite of routine that enhances Civil/Design for Road Designers. Download the FREE 30 day fully functioning evaluation version http://www.rsteltman.com/ "Randy S" wrote in message news:7589428.1102384250566.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > what do you mean by "GO"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report