Did you mean: 

Ditch at constant slope along existing surface

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
shannonpickett
1866 Views, 5 Replies

Ditch at constant slope along existing surface

Good Afternoon.

I have a surface and want to create a ditch at a defined and constant slope around the side of a hill. If I select the starting point, can the software create a polyline (or 3D polyline) that follows an existing surface at a defined slope.

Thanks for your help.
Shannon L. Pickett, PE, LS
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jp1960
in reply to: shannonpickett

Try using grading objects

Grading>Slope Grading>Grading Wizard.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Shannon, The only way I know of to do this is manually with circles and contours. If you want a 2% slope, create a 50 circle at the starting point on your highest contour and where it intersects with the contour below, is the path. Next move (or copy) the circle down to that intersection and where it intersects the next contour down, is the path. Continue until done. If you need more accuracy, you could use a smaller contour interval. Brian "shannonpickett" wrote in message news:14229097.1095980210533.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Good Afternoon. > > I have a surface and want to create a ditch at a defined and constant slope around the side of a hill. If I select the starting point, can the software create a polyline (or 3D polyline) that follows an existing surface at a defined slope. > > Thanks for your help. > Shannon L. Pickett, PE, LS
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

SurvCADD>DTM-Contour Module>3D Polyline Commands>3D Polyline by Slope on Surface. This command creates a 3D polyline at a user-specified slope. The user picks the starting point and then the polyline continues along the surface at the slope until it reaches a point where the maximum slope at the point is less than the design slope. The surface is defined by a grid file (.GRD) which must be created before calling this routine. Applications for this command include designing haul roads or ditches. http://www.carlsonsw.com/dtmcontour.htm Request an evaluation CD and try it for yourself! "shannonpickett" wrote in message news:14229097.1095980210533.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Good Afternoon. > > I have a surface and want to create a ditch at a defined and constant slope around the side of a hill. If I select the starting point, can the software create a polyline (or 3D polyline) that follows an existing surface at a defined slope. > > Thanks for your help. > Shannon L. Pickett, PE, LS
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

There is a routine in Alignment Tools, Alignment by grade from contours, that will create a 3d pline from a starting point and elevation at a grade along user selected contours. Alignment Tools is part of the Road Tools suite of routine that enhances Civil/Design for Road Designers. Download the FREE 30 day fully functioning evaluation version http://www.rsteltman.com/ "shannonpickett" wrote in message news:14229097.1095980210533.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Good Afternoon. > > I have a surface and want to create a ditch at a defined and constant slope around the side of a hill. If I select the starting point, can the software create a polyline (or 3D polyline) that follows an existing surface at a defined slope. > > Thanks for your help. > Shannon L. Pickett, PE, LS
Message 6 of 6
stevedrew

If I want to draw a 10% slope on 5' contours how do I calculate the circle diameter needed to construct the slope?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report