Did you mean: 

Description Key Files

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
msorensen
2402 Views, 5 Replies

Description Key Files

I have been working in Civil 3D for a couple of years.  Now I need to take drawings and convert back to an earlier version so they can be staked by a consultant who is still using Land Desktop 2008.  This means that I need to delete the C3D points and replace them.  The original survey was done by a company with a specialized description key file.  How do I tell LDC to use that file rather than the default description key file? 

Melody

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: msorensen

You all ready translated the survey file for your Civil3D work, why not just give the consultant the PNEZD format by doing an export of Civil3D points to an ascii file.  I would think that is all he would need.  Talk to the consultant and see what he actually needs.

Message 3 of 6
OMCUSNR
in reply to: Anonymous

That's what I'd do too.  Give the consultant linework, and let them do a points import.  It's most likely what I'd want.

How are you transfering the surface(s)?  XML? or just 3d polys?  Will he need to recreat the surface(s)?

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 4 of 6
msorensen
in reply to: OMCUSNR

Thank you Reid and ???  I wanted to give an ascii file, but our surveyor is insisting on points.  The surveyor doing the construction work doesn't want a surface, just finished grade points and the points from the original survey.

Melody

Message 5 of 6
OMCUSNR
in reply to: msorensen

OK, that's a bit weird to me, but - if that's how he wants to do it...

What version of LDC is being used?  Are you going to use LDC to import the points?  Do you have the orginal *.mdb (desk key file).  The MDB files are usually kept in the PROJECT\cogo\DescKey folder.

To get LDC to use the mdb you want, Go to Labels,  Edit Lables, Point Label Styles tab, and in the lower right corner, with the DescKey Matching On check box checked, you can select which DescKey File to use.  That pull down will list all the mdb files in the project cogo directory.

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 6 of 6
msorensen
in reply to: OMCUSNR

Thanks for your help Reid.  The LDC that's loaded on my computer is v2009.  I pretty much haven't used LDC in 2-3 years and use it or lose i ;-).  I do have a description key file.

Melody

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report