Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut/Fill Volume between plane and DTM - Stage storage

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
323 Views, 4 Replies

Cut/Fill Volume between plane and DTM - Stage storage

Hi, Does anyone know of any VBA code that will do volume cut/fill on a surface from a cutting plane at a 1 foot increment. I'm trying to do a stage storage on a dtm. Thanks, Craig
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Craig, I would approach it by looping through the AreaVolume Method, something like the following algorithm ( not exact code): surf.GetBoundingBox pntLL, pntUR ' create a 4*3 point array, where the planimetric coordinates are taken from the pntLL and pntUR of the surface. For i = botelev to topelev step 1 ' z coordinate = cutting plane elev areaPnts(2) = i areaPnts(5) = i areaPnts(8) = i areaPnts(11) = i surf.AreaVolume .05, areaPnts, cut, fill, net totalcut=totalcut+cut totalfill=totalfill+fill next i If you are doing stage-storage you are probably interested in only the fill numbers, you should not have to closely define the exact boundary of each plane. This assumes that the built surface does not fall away from the top of berm. If you need some boundary internal to a given surface, you will need the user to input the boundary of the top of the basin or pond (overflow or top of berm) which you will use in the areaPnts array (does not need to be rectangular). The areavolume method is pretty slow. If you find it too slow, the other option is to loop through the faces collection and do your own truncated prism math for each face. More complicated code - but much faster. sc "Craig Barrett" wrote in message news:414860b4_1@newsprd01... > Hi, > > Does anyone know of any VBA code that will do volume cut/fill on a surface > from a cutting plane at a 1 foot increment. I'm trying to do a stage > storage on a dtm. > > Thanks, > Craig > >
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Another way may be to use the SampleElevations function to sample the surfaces along a line. The function will return a point array as a variant array of doubles. These can be converted to a polyline that you could square up, and ask for it's area. You do that again one foot in, and use average end area to make the estimate. You could even leave the polylines in the drawing to show how the calculations were made. Cheers, Peter Funk API Product Manager Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

You'll have to forgive Peter, he's from the Architecture side. Stage-storage should be handled in the way Steve described. Peters analysis would work well if you wanted to Site earthwork via profiles like we used to do. -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G LDT2005+C3D http://au.autodesk.com Sign up now for AU2004!
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Craig, I have written a routine to do just what you are asking for. If you haven't already found a solution drop me an email and I will send it your way. witzel at garrett-eng dot com It gets the required elevations from an excel spreadsheet and then reports the corresponding elevations back to the same spreadsheet. This allows you to determine which elevations are important to you. We needed to do stage storage but then also give volumes at specific intervals for example 846.55 Water quality elevation. Conan Witzel Garrett Ihnen Civil Engineers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report