Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a profile with cl points

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
bigred1234
423 Views, 11 Replies

Creating a profile with cl points

I am trying to create a profile by just using the points and not creating a surface, is there an easy way to do that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: bigred1234

As far as I can tell you can't create a profile in LDD without a surface unlesss there's a third party application out there that can do it. I have, on many occasions, had to create profiles given only one line of survey points. Maybe you're in this boat, maybe not, but this is how I managed it: 1. Connect the points with a 3d polyline either by using the "create by points" method in the Terrain Model Explorer (most desirable if the points are sequential), or by the "Create by elevation" in the Terrain-3d polylines pulldown. 2. Offset this polyline a nominal distance on both sides (1m does the trick for me) using "Create curb" in the Terrain-3d polylines pulldown. Make sure you choose a "relative" elevation difference of 0. 3. Use these 3 polylines as breaklines in your new surface. Matt Kolberg "bigred1234" wrote in message news:20532535.1096928435202.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I am trying to create a profile by just using the points and not creating a surface, is there an easy way to do that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

That is a good trick, I forgot about that! Does Civil 3D make it any easier? "Matt Kolberg" |>As far as I can tell you can't create a profile in LDD without a surface |>unlesss there's a third party application out there that can do it. |> |>I have, on many occasions, had to create profiles given only one line of |>survey points. Maybe you're in this boat, maybe not, but this is how I |>managed it: |> |>1. Connect the points with a 3d polyline either by using the "create by |>points" method in the Terrain Model Explorer (most desirable if the points |>are sequential), or by the "Create by elevation" in the Terrain-3d polylines |>pulldown. |>2. Offset this polyline a nominal distance on both sides (1m does the trick |>for me) using "Create curb" in the Terrain-3d polylines pulldown. Make sure |>you choose a "relative" elevation difference of 0. |>3. Use these 3 polylines as breaklines in your new surface. |> |>Matt Kolberg |> |>"bigred1234" wrote in message |>news:20532535.1096928435202.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... |>> I am trying to create a profile by just using the points and not creating |>a surface, is there an easy way to do that? Any help would be greatly |>appreciated. |> James Maeding jmaeding at hunsaker dot com Civil Engineer/Programmer
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

There is a routine in Profile Tools, 3d poly to profile, that will create an LDD profile from a 3d polyline. Other routines include: moving a profile; pick block in plan to Profile; Plot an offset 3d pline to Profile; Label all alignment intersections, stations and elevations. Profile Tools is part of the Road Tools suite of routines that enhances Civil/Design for Road Designers. Download the FREE 30 day fully functioning evaluation version http://www.rsteltman.com/ "bigred1234" wrote in message news:20532535.1096928435202.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I am trying to create a profile by just using the points and not creating a surface, is there an easy way to do that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Hi, Another two solutions: 1 With the tools you already have. Join the points with a polyline, or collection of lines and define an alignment from the data. Print out the chainages of the vertices and then open the Vertical Grading Editor and enter the data by hand, or enter the data into a file with Notepad and sample your profile "From File" 2 Commercial solution CADApps has a commercial program which will read point data for points in the vicinity of an alignment and transpose the point levels to an EG profile for the alignment. As always with commercial solutions you should assess the time you spend doing a process. If in 6 months the number of hours multiplied by your chargeout rate exceeds the software cost, then it is probably economic to buy the software. With a solution like this, you could assume zero training time and effectively zero operating time for the comparison. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "Matt Kolberg" wrote in message news:4161dffb$1_3@newsprd01... > As far as I can tell you can't create a profile in LDD without a surface > unlesss there's a third party application out there that can do it. > > I have, on many occasions, had to create profiles given only one line of > survey points. Maybe you're in this boat, maybe not, but this is how I > managed it: > > 1. Connect the points with a 3d polyline either by using the "create by > points" method in the Terrain Model Explorer (most desirable if the points > are sequential), or by the "Create by elevation" in the Terrain-3d polylines > pulldown. > 2. Offset this polyline a nominal distance on both sides (1m does the trick > for me) using "Create curb" in the Terrain-3d polylines pulldown. Make sure > you choose a "relative" elevation difference of 0. > 3. Use these 3 polylines as breaklines in your new surface. > > Matt Kolberg > > "bigred1234" wrote in message > news:20532535.1096928435202.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > I am trying to create a profile by just using the points and not creating > a surface, is there an easy way to do that? Any help would be greatly > appreciated. > >
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

"bigred1234" wrote... > I am trying to create a profile by just using the points and > not creating a surface, is there an easy way to do that? > Any help would be greatly appreciated. One more 3rd party solution. http://tinyurl.com/5ywh5 Profile from points on centerline is just one available method.
Message 7 of 12
bigred1234

Thank you for your help, that was exactly what I needed to know.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

What is wrong with "Profile -> Existing ground -> Sample from file"? wfb "bigred1234" wrote in message news:20532535.1096928435202.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... | I am trying to create a profile by just using the points and not creating a surface, is there an easy way to do that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Directly from help: For the Sample From File command to work properly, you must create the file using the correct format. Each line of the file must contain the station value followed by the elevation, separated by a space. The station cannot contain the plus sign (+) character. The following lines are examples that the Sample From File command can use: 0 100.23 50 150.2 79.4 109 145.1 115.63 200.5 111.12 The file must conform to the following criteria: The first line must be the station and elevation for the first station. Stations must be in ascending order. There can be no leading blank lines or headers. There can be no blank lines. Blank lines are read as the end of the file. There can be no blank spaces at the beginning of any line. The last item must be the elevation for the last station. hth, sm -- scott mceachron total cad systems - dallas "wfb" wrote in message news:4162b6be$1_3@newsprd01... > What is wrong with "Profile -> Existing ground -> Sample from file"? > > wfb > > "bigred1234" wrote in message > news:20532535.1096928435202.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > | I am trying to create a profile by just using the points and not > creating > a surface, is there an easy way to do that? Any help would be greatly > appreciated. > >
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

And just one more 3rd Party solution - AutoChart AutoChart is an AutoCAD extension that automates the production of North-Up and Alignment sheets. It is not directly linked to the design process within the Civil series instead supplying automation of sheet creation within the AutoCAD Map environment. It was originally designed for the hydrographic industry but has recently been used on other types of corridor mapping environment. The basic process is 1) Create an alignment or area object. 2) Create panels along alignment or in area (These can be moved at will after automatic generation) 3) Create Chart Set corresponding to previously created panels. 4) Create Grid/Graticules within Chart Set. 5) Xref Data into Chart Set (for data that needs no textual rotation) 6) Insert (and rotate) Data into Chart Set (for that needs textual rotation) 7) Create Profile(s) based upon Plan Panel. 8) Add Other specifc data types such as Relative profile data, event data etc. AutoChart is not limited to one panel or profile per sheet and can display multiple plans or profiles using either identical or different geographic locations. Sheets/Profiles can be created left-to-right or right-to-left. All commands work in Meters, US Survey Feet and International Feet. There are several demonstration videos available on our website North-Up Example - http://www.wishsoftware.com/NorthUpExample.exe Pipeline Engineering Example - http://www.wishsoftware.com/AutoChartEngineeringExample.exe Cable Route Alignment Example - http://www.wishsoftware.com/CableExample.exe Pipeline Inspection Example - http://www.wishsoftware.com/PipelineInspectionExample.exe Sidescan and Sub-Bottom Example - http://www.wishsoftware.com/SBPExample.exe It must be noted that AutoChart is not specifically integrated into Land Desktop DTM functionality (as there are specific tools within the hydrographic industry that can cope with upwards of 200 million points - see http://www.ivs3d.com/products/fledermaus/index.html) and sits outside the design process. It is a tool to automate the production of charts using a wide variety of data types. Regards, Adam Davis -- Adam Davis Wish Software Limited 5 Biggar Road Silverburn EH26 9LQ UK tel: +44 (0)1968 670 899 fax: +44 (0)870 220 0875 mailto:adam@wishsoftware.com www.wishsoftware.com "bigred1234" wrote in message news:20532535.1096928435202.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >I am trying to create a profile by just using the points and not creating a >surface, is there an easy way to do that? Any help would be greatly >appreciated.
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Obviously this profile will never find its way anywhere near being used for the Cross Section module. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "Adam Davis" wrote in message news:41630cd9_1@newsprd01... > And just one more 3rd Party solution - AutoChart > > AutoChart is an AutoCAD extension that automates the production of > North-Up > and Alignment sheets. It is not directly linked to the design process > within > the Civil series instead supplying automation of sheet creation within the > AutoCAD Map environment. It was originally designed for the hydrographic > industry but has recently been used on other types of corridor mapping > environment. > > The basic process is > 1) Create an alignment or area object. > 2) Create panels along alignment or in area (These can be moved at will > after automatic generation) > 3) Create Chart Set corresponding to previously created panels. > 4) Create Grid/Graticules within Chart Set. > 5) Xref Data into Chart Set (for data that needs no textual rotation) > 6) Insert (and rotate) Data into Chart Set (for that needs textual > rotation) > 7) Create Profile(s) based upon Plan Panel. > 😎 Add Other specifc data types such as Relative profile data, event data > etc. > > AutoChart is not limited to one panel or profile per sheet and can display > multiple plans or profiles using either identical or different geographic > locations. Sheets/Profiles can be created left-to-right or right-to-left. > All commands work in Meters, US Survey Feet and International Feet. > > There are several demonstration videos available on our website > North-Up Example - http://www.wishsoftware.com/NorthUpExample.exe > Pipeline Engineering Example - > http://www.wishsoftware.com/AutoChartEngineeringExample.exe > Cable Route Alignment Example - > http://www.wishsoftware.com/CableExample.exe > Pipeline Inspection Example - > http://www.wishsoftware.com/PipelineInspectionExample.exe > Sidescan and Sub-Bottom Example - > http://www.wishsoftware.com/SBPExample.exe > > > It must be noted that AutoChart is not specifically integrated into Land > Desktop DTM functionality (as there are specific tools within the > hydrographic industry that can cope with upwards of 200 million points - > see > http://www.ivs3d.com/products/fledermaus/index.html) and sits outside the > design process. It is a tool to automate the production of charts using a > wide variety of data types. > > Regards, > > Adam Davis > > > -- > Adam Davis > Wish Software Limited > 5 Biggar Road > Silverburn > EH26 9LQ > UK > tel: +44 (0)1968 670 899 > fax: +44 (0)870 220 0875 > mailto:adam@wishsoftware.com > www.wishsoftware.com > "bigred1234" wrote in message > news:20532535.1096928435202.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >>I am trying to create a profile by just using the points and not creating >>a >>surface, is there an easy way to do that? Any help would be greatly >>appreciated. > > > >
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

One more method. If you are only interested in the profile place, points with a constant elevation around the center line shots. make a breakline of the centerline shots then create a surface. the surface will be accurate at the centerline only!. Then pull the profile. I teach surveying and use this method to create a profile and cross sections from level notes. As long as you create breaklines using "good" data then the sections and profiles will be accurate. "bigred1234" wrote in message news:20532535.1096928435202.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >I am trying to create a profile by just using the points and not creating a >surface, is there an easy way to do that? Any help would be greatly >appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report