Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check for tangent

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
2547 Views, 15 Replies

Check for tangent

Hi all, Just got asked for an easy way to check is a line was tangent to an arc. Which got me to wondering just what is the easiest way to check that? ..selecting each arc, checking start and end angles, then selecting and checking the line angle ..drawing a new line from the far endpoint to tangent to the arc and checking if the line is the same ..offsetting both a distance to see if still tangent any other ideas without buying more software, looking for something built into acad The person asking was asked to check all the road centerlines of an entire subdivision, glad it wasn't me. LDD 2005, Civil, Raster and Survey Rob
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Rob Dotsoft.com "toolpac" has a utility that checks tangancy - works like a charm and will put a mark on every intance of non tangent. I have not measured an angle since. Joe "Rob" wrote in message news:42161223_1@newsprd01... > Hi all, > > Just got asked for an easy way to check is a line was tangent to an arc. > Which got me to wondering just what is the easiest way to check that? > ..selecting each arc, checking start and end angles, then selecting and > checking the line angle > ..drawing a new line from the far endpoint to tangent to the arc and > checking if the line is the same > ..offsetting both a distance to see if still tangent > > any other ideas without buying more software, looking for something built > into acad > > The person asking was asked to check all the road centerlines of an entire > subdivision, glad it wasn't me. > > LDD 2005, Civil, Raster and Survey > > > Rob > >
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous

I have a vba app that'll label them if you want it. Bud Miller www.BudCAD.com Legal descriptions and more in LDT "Rob" wrote in message news:42161223_1@newsprd01... > Hi all, > > Just got asked for an easy way to check is a line was tangent to an arc. > Which got me to wondering just what is the easiest way to check that? > ..selecting each arc, checking start and end angles, then selecting and > checking the line angle > ..drawing a new line from the far endpoint to tangent to the arc and > checking if the line is the same > ..offsetting both a distance to see if still tangent > > any other ideas without buying more software, looking for something built > into acad > > The person asking was asked to check all the road centerlines of an entire > subdivision, glad it wasn't me. > > LDD 2005, Civil, Raster and Survey > > > Rob > >
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

Short of additional software. Snap a line to the cen of curve and then to the end of the tangent. Angle = 90 degrees. "Rob" wrote in message news:42161223_1@newsprd01... > Hi all, > > Just got asked for an easy way to check is a line was tangent to an arc. > Which got me to wondering just what is the easiest way to check that? > ..selecting each arc, checking start and end angles, then selecting and > checking the line angle > ..drawing a new line from the far endpoint to tangent to the arc and > checking if the line is the same > ..offsetting both a distance to see if still tangent > > any other ideas without buying more software, looking for something built > into acad > > The person asking was asked to check all the road centerlines of an entire > subdivision, glad it wasn't me. > > LDD 2005, Civil, Raster and Survey > > > Rob > >
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

Tell me more about your app. Does it label all tangents? ones that are not tanget? ones that are tangent? Does it need anything special loaded also? It sounds like we might be checking all the drawings we gat from "planners". What we have been doing is redrawing to fix all the BAD CAD. Rob "Bud" wrote in message news:42162642$1_2@newsprd01... >I have a vba app that'll label them if you want it. > > Bud Miller > www.BudCAD.com > Legal descriptions and more in LDT
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

Good one, the geometric way. I forgot this one. Thanks "wfb" wrote in message news:42162687$1_3@newsprd01... > Short of additional software. Snap a line to the cen of curve and then to > the end of the tangent. Angle = 90 degrees.
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

Dude, *might* be checking the drawings from planners ? I take the planner's hardcopy and treat it as a markup and redraw every scrap of geometry. The only thing their CAD file is good for, is plotting the hardcopy that I then reproduce properly on CAD. Doesn't matter how many or how often they mess up, I just can't afford to trust them. I'm sure there are good planners out there, and I don't mean to disparage them, but their highest priority is definitely *not* accurate geometry. Maybe if just one planner where to give me consistently accurate files for a couple of years.............. "Rob" wrote in message news:42162dcc$1_3@newsprd01... > Tell me more about your app. > Does it label all tangents? ones that are not tanget? ones that are > tangent? > Does it need anything special loaded also? > > It sounds like we might be checking all the drawings we gat from > "planners". > What we have been doing is redrawing to fix all the BAD CAD. > > > Rob > > "Bud" wrote in message > news:42162642$1_2@newsprd01... >>I have a vba app that'll label them if you want it. >> >> Bud Miller >> www.BudCAD.com >> Legal descriptions and more in LDT > >
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

Rob: You can erase your curve. Fillet the two tangents with the known radius, it will be tangent to the new curve. "Rob" wrote in message news:42162e5a$1_1@newsprd01... > Good one, the geometric way. I forgot this one. > Thanks > > "wfb" wrote in message > news:42162687$1_3@newsprd01... > > Short of additional software. Snap a line to the cen of curve and then to > > the end of the tangent. Angle = 90 degrees. > >
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

Just be sure the end of the line is the same as the end of the curve or you may not get a correct answer. You can also tell from a parcel inverse report wether curves are tangent or not by comparing the curve data to the line data. Bud Miller www.BudCAD.com Legal descriptions and more in LDT "Rob" wrote in message news:42162e5a$1_1@newsprd01... > Good one, the geometric way. I forgot this one. > Thanks > > "wfb" wrote in message > news:42162687$1_3@newsprd01... >> Short of additional software. Snap a line to the cen of curve and then >> to >> the end of the tangent. Angle = 90 degrees. > >
Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

Hello Bud, Where are you hiding that little treat? John "Bud" wrote in message news:42162642$1_2@newsprd01... >I have a vba app that'll label them if you want it. > > Bud Miller > www.BudCAD.com > Legal descriptions and more in LDT > > "Rob" wrote in message > news:42161223_1@newsprd01... >> Hi all, >> >> Just got asked for an easy way to check is a line was tangent to an arc. >> Which got me to wondering just what is the easiest way to check that? >> ..selecting each arc, checking start and end angles, then selecting and >> checking the line angle >> ..drawing a new line from the far endpoint to tangent to the arc and >> checking if the line is the same >> ..offsetting both a distance to see if still tangent >> >> any other ideas without buying more software, looking for something built >> into acad >> >> The person asking was asked to check all the road centerlines of an >> entire subdivision, glad it wasn't me. >> >> LDD 2005, Civil, Raster and Survey >> >> >> Rob >> >> > >
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

"doug k" wrote in message news:4216333e$1_1@newsprd01... > Maybe if just one planner where to give me consistently accurate files for > a couple of years.............. I'd settle for one.
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

How often? One every... Day? Week? Month? Year? Decade? Centennial? Millennium? The way I've been made to understand it, they don't expect their work to move directly into the engineer's/surveyor's database anyway. So why bother? And judging by the traffic engineer's file I received last week, they're not much better. :-( -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "TomD" wrote in message news:42166b8e$1_1@newsprd01... > "doug k" wrote in message > news:4216333e$1_1@newsprd01... > > > Maybe if just one planner where to give me consistently accurate files for > > a couple of years.............. > > I'd settle for one. > >
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

Two quick graphics methods: Draw a line from the PC of a curve to it's center point then perp to the incoming tangent. Any difference at the pc will reflect a non tangent curve. Start a pline on the tangent, then use the curve/line option to overtrace the alignment. You'll start to wander off the end of the curve if it's not tangent. Though not very scientific, these are quick and graphical and don't require anything but what you have in the box. -- Karl Fuls PLS Autocad AEC Training and Consulting Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator Rob wrote: >Hi all, > >Just got asked for an easy way to check is a line was tangent to an arc. >Which got me to wondering just what is the easiest way to check that? >..selecting each arc, checking start and end angles, then selecting and >checking the line angle >..drawing a new line from the far endpoint to tangent to the arc and >checking if the line is the same >..offsetting both a distance to see if still tangent > >any other ideas without buying more software, looking for something built >into acad > >The person asking was asked to check all the road centerlines of an entire >subdivision, glad it wasn't me. > >LDD 2005, Civil, Raster and Survey > > >Rob > > > >
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

We have been lucky in the respect that we usually do not use a planner, we normally do that in our sketch plans. But this one certain client had to use a planner, we have had to redraw every revision they have given us to fix the drawings. Hopefully the client will let us do the sketch plans in the future. Rob "doug k" wrote in message news:4216333e$1_1@newsprd01... > > Dude, *might* be checking the drawings from planners ? > > I take the planner's hardcopy and treat it as a markup and redraw every > scrap of geometry. > > The only thing their CAD file is good for, is plotting the hardcopy that I > then reproduce properly on CAD. > > Doesn't matter how many or how often they mess up, I just can't afford to > trust them. I'm sure there are good planners out there, and I don't mean > to disparage them, but their highest priority is definitely *not* accurate > geometry. > > Maybe if just one planner where to give me consistently accurate files for > a couple of years..............
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

Thanks Karl I am forwarding this on to the guy that asked me for the help. And saving it for myself in future use if needed. Rob "Karl Fuls" wrote in message news:42192bf4_1@newsprd01... > Two quick graphics methods: > > Draw a line from the PC of a curve to it's center point then perp to the > incoming tangent. Any difference at the pc will reflect a non tangent > curve. > > Start a pline on the tangent, then use the curve/line option to overtrace > the alignment. You'll start to wander off the end of the curve if it's not > tangent. > > Though not very scientific, these are quick and graphical and don't > require anything but what you have in the box. > > -- > Karl Fuls PLS > Autocad AEC Training and Consulting > Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator >
Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

Hey Rob; Maybe a way to "cure" that client is to itemize the time you've spent "enhancing" the planner's data to make it useable, and include it as a line item on the next invoice. Add whatever formatting you feel necessary - Bold, Italics, Underline, 24 point font, etc. I think they might get your drift. HTH -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "Rob" wrote in message news:421b7975$1_2@newsprd01... > We have been lucky in the respect that we usually do not use a planner, we > normally do that in our sketch plans. > But this one certain client had to use a planner, we have had to redraw > every revision they have given us to fix the drawings. > Hopefully the client will let us do the sketch plans in the future. > > Rob > > > "doug k" wrote in message > news:4216333e$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > Dude, *might* be checking the drawings from planners ? > > > > I take the planner's hardcopy and treat it as a markup and redraw every > > scrap of geometry. > > > > The only thing their CAD file is good for, is plotting the hardcopy that I > > then reproduce properly on CAD. > > > > Doesn't matter how many or how often they mess up, I just can't afford to > > trust them. I'm sure there are good planners out there, and I don't mean > > to disparage them, but their highest priority is definitely *not* accurate > > geometry. > > > > Maybe if just one planner where to give me consistently accurate files for > > a couple of years.............. > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report