AutoCAD Land Desktop (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using Land Desktop Companion 2009?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
lstarbird
4489 Views, 18 Replies

Anyone using Land Desktop Companion 2009?

We're currently reviewing our upgrade path options since our workstations are about 4-5 years old & running Windows XP with Land Desktop 2007.  Since Land Desktop 2007 isn't supported on Windows 7 & we're not ready to dive into Civil 3D, it looks like our only option is to use LD 2009 with Windows 7.  When talking to our reseller/trainer, they mentioned that LD 2007 was the last "quality" build of LD & had expereienced some weird little quarkes when running LD 2008 or 2009 in training sessions.

Since staying on LD07 doesn't sound like an option if we're upgrading to Windows 7, I wanted to see if anyone had been using LD 09 in production, as opposed to just training environments, what their experience has been & suggestions for other alternatives if Windows 7 & LD 2009 is really a bad combo.

Thanks in advanced

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
tedb
in reply to: lstarbird

We are using LDC 2009 with windows 7 and not having any problems, contrary to warnings before loading it. So far so good.

Message 3 of 19
lstarbird
in reply to: tedb

Hi Ted,

Thanks so much for the feedback!  That's great news!  Out of curiosity, what hardware are you running it on?

Message 4 of 19
tedb

Intel Xeon CPU, 2.13 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 500 GB hard drive, 64-bit Operating System with Windows 7 Pro

Message 5 of 19
lstarbird

Super...thanks TedB!

Message 6 of 19
lstarbird

Ted...do you happen to know what type of video card?

Message 7 of 19
tedb

NVIDIA Quadro FX 580

Message 8 of 19
Partenheimer

I migrated my old firm to LDC 2008 back in January 2008. The "weird" issues we encountered were related to SDI=1 (Single Document Interface) which Land Desktop requires to run correctly. Many modern AutoCAD features depend on SDI=0.

When you open multiple files in one instance of Land Desktop, Land Desktop will disable most Land Desktop commands. If you prefer to use the AutoCAD OPEN dialog box rather than the LDT OPEN dialog box, opening multiple files is inevitable. (Using Sheet Set Manager does too)

As the CAD Systems Manager, my work-around was involved. Using AutoLisp embedded in MNL files I undefined and redefined the OPEN, NEW, QNEW, SAVE, & SAVEAS commands. This would automatically manipulate SDI as needed (SDI=1 to open a file and then SDI=0 after the file was open, then SDI=1 to open the next file)

Other issues include LDT text styles and Annotative text.

With several work-arounds in place, 75 different users successfully used LDC 2008 in 6 offices with only very minor issues. (Can't use SSM to open files). The same work-arounds were valid in our 2009 version build.

Message 9 of 19
annw2

How are you getting 2009?  It isn't sold so you must have unistalled disks on hand?

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 10 of 19
Partenheimer

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2009 - Land Desktop Companion was originally delivered as part of the Civil 3D 2009 fulfillment. (The disk came in the same box). Look for your original Civil 3D 2009 box.

If you are on Civil 3D subscription, check your product enhancements download page. On my subscription page, both LDC 2008 & 2009 are available for download as of this morning.

Message 11 of 19
lstarbird
in reply to: annw2

HI Annw2,

The discs were shipped to me under my subscription along with the Civil 3D 2009 discs.

Lena

Message 12 of 19
lstarbird
in reply to: Partenheimer

Thanks Partenheimer,

If I understand the issue your describing, we may have seen this since LD 2005 around our office.  Basically, we could either open one file per each LD session OR open multiple files in Land Enabled Map.  If both LD and LEM were open at the same time, the LEM profile would get screwy, appear to load in LD & wouldn't load the LD functions.  We would correct this by simply reloading the LEM profile & have since gotten pretty used to just opening LD when we anticipate that we'll be using LD functions.

Message 13 of 19
lstarbird
in reply to: tedb

@tedb wrote:

NVIDIA Quadro FX 580

Cool...thanks Tedb

Message 14 of 19
Partenheimer

You'll find that in LDC 2008/2009, the AECOPEN command works with SDI=0. The command was modified from prior LDC versions and works in SDI=0 yet still only opens one drawing at a time. You may recall that in previous versions of LDC SDI was set to a value of 3. (See attached image)

The regular AutoCAD OPEN does not posses the same behavior and when used with SDI=0, results in multiple open drawings. That was an issue for us which we resolved with our "fix".

Autodesk Land Desktop cannot initialize when

there is more than one drawing open.  Please close all but one

drawing before continuing.

***************************************************************Old_SDI.JPG

Regards,

Michael Partenheimer

Message 15 of 19
annw2

Yes, since autodesk quit selling LDD you would have to have 'old' disks.  I hadn't realized you could still download if you have subscription.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 16 of 19
narusha

I am using Land Desktop Companion 2009 in Windows 7.  When I go to Edit Vertical Alignment from Profile pull down menu, it shows "Windows Explorer has stopped working" message. Although the Vertical Alignment Editor opens I cannot prepare "Reports" from the editor. I tried uninstalling Windows Explorer 9 and using Windows Explorer 8, but still does not work.

narusha

Message 17 of 19
adengineering

I loaded it on my laptop and my properties manager is blank.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Message 18 of 19
caw36
in reply to: adengineering

sorry i have a similiar problem recent ungrade to a new laptop with windows 7 (64-bit) and when i install ldc 2009 it installs but when i run it the menues are blank or shown as a ? mark and doesn't work. ldc 2009 has is great for creating boundrie surveys where the civil 3d is no as freindly to labeling those type of drawings. anyone has any ideas.

thanks

jason

Message 19 of 19
ogpala

Narusha, I am having exactly the same problem as you did in Win7. There is no issue with running it on Win XP (x86). I "googled" around and could not find any solution to the problem!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report