Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

angled parking on a curve

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
tylerdurden
4469 Views, 9 Replies

angled parking on a curve

anyone ever seen 60 degree parking on a curve? i have a unique situation where i need a one way street, 18' wide, with angled parking. i've never seen it. i called some pavement stripers, and they've never heard of it. one engineer i talked to said he's seen it done. But i think it may be weird, because on a curve, the perpendicular is constantly changing, and as such the spaces will not be exactly parallel to one another. any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: tylerdurden

If the curve is long enough, whether angled or straight in it's probably acceptable to assign the angle to the line's intersection with the curb. The stalls will splay out, but not enough to make parking difficult. On a tight curve, where the stalls would radiate like fan blades, I suggest making them rectilinear and striping in the gores. I have not seen a local regulation that addresses the condition. You might look at the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/kno-millennium.htm rs
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

I assume you have more than 18' curb to curb. 60 degree parking takes up about 19 feet from the curb, assuming no overhang. Width should be set for the narrow end of the stall. It would depend on if the curve was to the right or left and which side the parking is on. While you could get very specific about the dimensions and angles, remember that someone has to be able to lay it out in the field. If the radius is large, the change in delta over the width of a stall is negligible. If the radius is small, I question the wisdom of having parking in that location given that there could be sight distance issues. -- Brad Yarger "tylerdurden" wrote in message news:1104916.1106153764116.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > anyone ever seen 60 degree parking on a curve? i have a unique situation > where i need a one way street, 18' wide, with angled parking. i've never > seen it. i called some pavement stripers, and they've never heard of it. > one engineer i talked to said he's seen it done. But i think it may be > weird, because on a curve, the perpendicular is constantly changing, and > as such the spaces will not be exactly parallel to one another. any ideas?
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Hey Tyler; One of my old tricks is something I discovered quite a while ago. I relate it to get to my point. If you divide the parking stall width (set by the governing code) by the radius at the "head" or "tail" of the stall you will get angle in radians. If you have a convenient conversion button on your calculator to convert from radians to degrees, plus one that will convert from decimal degrees to H-M-S you're all set. I remind you that you will need to pay attention to the location of the radius point whether nearest the Head or Tail of the stall in relationship to convex or concave curves to get the right minimum width at the narrowest point. Once you have the second stall stripe figured out using this angle above, you can use Grips to Copy the second one Based on the Center of the Arc, and using the Head or Tail of the first stripe (determined by concave or convex curve condition) as the second point of the Reference selection set (the Center being the first). You can Copy as many as you need in this fashion. But I'm glad that I waited to send this until I tried it out myself, because the first part would have produced what's commonly referred to as a Blunder. It would have produced stalls that were only about half the width we normally use at 9 feet. So adding in the 9 foot perpendicular to the first stripe produced the following for a concave example... and this for a convex example... If you had the convex criteria, then you may have figured out that both of the minimum width measurements on the second stall are necessary to produce the correct angle based on the Tail being the second reference point of that selection set. I would not recommend attempting to get an exact width measurement for the copies, based on the Law of Diminishing Returns. :-) HTH -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" Barghausen Consulting Engineers Kent, WA USA LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "TCEBob" wrote in message news:41ee9592_2@newsprd01... > If the curve is long enough, whether angled or straight in it's probably > acceptable to assign the angle to the line's intersection with the curb. The > stalls will splay out, but not enough to make parking difficult. On a tight > curve, where the stalls would radiate like fan blades, I suggest making them > rectilinear and striping in the gores. > > I have not seen a local regulation that addresses the condition. You might look > at the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. > http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/kno-millennium.htm > > rs > > Attachment not added (too many attachments): "untitled-2.png"
Message 5 of 10
mrbbq1965

I use the MEASURE command with a couple of blocks I came up with, depending on which side of the road you're on, and whether it is a concave or convex curve.

Have a look at the drawing I have attached, and let me know if you have any questions.

Modify the length of the line in the block, as well as the MEASURE distance needed to get your particular parking stall size requirements.

I did mine with 9'x19' parking stalls, so the stripe length is 24.2, and the MEASURE distance is 10.39.
Once you get the hang of it, it is a pretty cool trick.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Somthing like Grip what you want to copy, Rotate > Copy >Base (select center of arc). Then enter <11d22'34" (whatever your angle is). Then hold down the Shift key and drag around the radius. The copy should snap to multiples of the angle you entered. Allen
Message 7 of 10
tylerdurden

thank you all for such informative and quick responses! i will try each of the methods. i really appreciate the wonderful feedback you have all given me.
Regards,
tyler.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Hi, In Civil Design: [Layouts][Parking Stalls][Data] to set the bay size. Then [Layouts][Parking Stalls][Style] You may need to experiment a couple of time till you get the idea of the process, or may be even look at the diagrams in the help file. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "tylerdurden" wrote in message news:1104916.1106153764116.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > anyone ever seen 60 degree parking on a curve? i have a unique situation where i need a one way street, 18' wide, with angled parking. i've never seen it. i called some pavement stripers, and they've never heard of it. one engineer i talked to said he's seen it done. But i think it may be weird, because on a curve, the perpendicular is constantly changing, and as such the spaces will not be exactly parallel to one another. any ideas?
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

"tylerdurden" wrote in message news:20222279.1106164250527.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > thank you all for such informative and quick responses! i will try each of the methods. i really appreciate the wonderful feedback you have all given me. > Regards, > tyler. hey... weren't you in that fight club movie? decided to go to a more relaxed profession...8^) jjd --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.833 / Virus Database: 567 - Release Date: 1/14/2005
Message 10 of 10
tylerdurden

why yes i was. a truly cultured individual!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report