Did you mean: 

What's it going to cost?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
seanmichaelragan
573 Views, 12 Replies

What's it going to cost?

Hi folks-

I just downloaded and installed Project Cooper and I like the interface but I note in the EULA that the software will automatically deactivate itself in April 2010. Before I make a decision to train myself on the software, I'd like to know how long Project Cooper is going to be freely available, and if it's going to stop being freely available, about how much it's going to cost. I certainly don't object to paying for good software, but I'd like to know what kind of price to expect.

Thanks!
Sean Michael Ragan
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: seanmichaelragan

If I had to guess... somewhere between $50 and $200 since Autosketch comes
in at right around $250.

"seanmichaelragan" wrote in message news:6303993@discussion.autodesk.com...
> Hi folks-
>
> I just downloaded and installed Project Cooper and I like the interface
> but I note in the EULA that the software will automatically deactivate
> itself in April 2010. Before I make a decision to train myself on the
> software, I'd like to know how long Project Cooper is going to be freely
> available, and if it's going to stop being freely available, about how
> much it's going to cost. I certainly don't object to paying for good
> software, but I'd like to know what kind of price to expect.
>
> Thanks!
> Sean Michael Ragan
Message 3 of 13
yschober

Hi Sean and Nick,

The price hasn't been set yet so I can't give you a definitely answer, but I think Nick's guess seems about right. Sean, what would you be willing to pay for a product like Project Cooper?

Thanks,
Yan
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

In it's current form... no more than $70.

"yschober" wrote in message news:6304138@discussion.autodesk.com...
> Hi Sean and Nick,
>
> The price hasn't been set yet so I can't give you a definitely answer, but
> I think Nick's guess seems about right. Sean, what would you be willing to
> pay for a product like Project Cooper?
>
> Thanks,
> Yan
Message 5 of 13
yschober

Great - thanks for the feedback!
Message 6 of 13
crounsl

I'd like to open this conversation to a wider audience. What do other users think that the product should cost?

Lisa Crounse
Product Manager - Project Cooper

Lisa Crounse
Sr. Product Manager
Message 7 of 13
ipselute

Sorry for being so frank: Right now, as with the current version of cooper, I wouldn't use it not even if you'd pay ME to use it. High memory usage, just a few simple commands&few object libraries, no command line, no numerical coordinate input. You're slick interface won't sell out your software, what really matters it's whatever is "under the hood' so to speak. Make a decent piece of software and I'll buy it. P.S. I really can't quite understand what precisely kind of CAD software is prj. cooper, what type of engineers should use it: architects, civil engineers, structural engineers, bridge engineers or what? P.P.S. I showed cooper to my son (he's like 3rd grade in primary school), he liked it very much. After-all, maybe you'll have success selling it as educational software.
Message 8 of 13
nvanlaar

I think it's aimed at non-(drawing) professionals or someone who wants to throw together a quick sketch for idea purposes that can later be "fleshed-out" in AutoCAD et. al.

I see this being tremendous on a tablet PC or netbook (unfortunately I don't have one...)
Message 9 of 13
crounsl

Nick is on target. Project Cooper is not intended for use by engineers, but rather intended for use by "non-CAD" types. These folks fall roughly into three camps right now:

1. We're hearing from lots of CAD managers that they have people in their organizations such as project managers, people in sales and marketings, etc. that have the need to create basic drawings that can be handed off to "the CAD guys."

2. We've also heard from a number of specialty contractors - landscape designers, interior designers, electricians, etc. Some of them have sent us examples of drawings that they have used to obtain permits or to explain their design to a client.

3. Lastly, we've heard from a number of DIY enthusiasts that are using Project Cooper for home improvement projects or their craft projects.

We're hoping that as more and more people start using Project Cooper we'll see some images refelcting this diversity of work posted in the Gallery.

Lisa Crounse
Product Manager

Lisa Crounse
Sr. Product Manager
Message 10 of 13

Based on the intended usage I'd be putting it at the sub £50 mark, with concession & discounts for site licenses. It's going to get heavy competition from the freeware out there (sketchup for example) so needs to be considered affordable by your enthusiasts who are reluctant to spend money on something that's not going to generate revenue.

Plus, if it develops in the way I hope, it'll be an excellent springboard for Autocad (or LT) upgrading once a user has exhausted the capability of Project Cooper. Perhaps pitch it as a loss-leader to get folk 'through the door'?

Just my tuppence.

G
ACad, MEP, Revit, 3DS Max
Message 11 of 13

Personally I like the idea but wouldn't pay for this.....its a good free tool for non caddies that may just be limited enough to encourage them to give it a try.
Russ Green
Message 12 of 13
ericcand

I'm pretty sure we'd pay 350 per seat if we can get the mark-up functionality we need as mentioned in the other thread I created. As it stands right now, the "doodle" feature is far too clunky and slow to handle our non-technical non-CAD guys doing handwriting on drawings.
Message 13 of 13
gomura

How about using a Google style pricing model. Free for a basic version and pay for one with added features like access to parts or interoperability with AutoCAD, Revit, etc.

G

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report