Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freestyle v. QuickCAD

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
JTAndrews.
7866 Views, 7 Replies

Freestyle v. QuickCAD

It seems that QuickCAD is a dirty word around Autodesk, but I have been a long devoted fan...

I've recently upgraded to a notebook with Windows 7 for an operating sytem.  I've found that my old QuickCAD software can not be loaded in a Windows7 environment.  So I need to find another program to use.  I have used QuickCAD for years, and the ability to work in a format that real architects and engineers use is important as I use this software to communicate with them.  Thus, I am hoping to find a simple program from Autodesk.  I have not found much information to compare Freestyle to QuickCAD.  Inquiries made of Autodesk have not received a response.

I do basic layout work and floorplans, and I will also use the software to draw cabinets and furniture that I will build in the shop.  Will Freestyle be an easy migration from QuickCAD?  Will Freestyle let me do everything that QuickCAD would?  Should I consider Autosketch instead? 

Thanks.
JT

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
crounsl
in reply to: JTAndrews.

I would reccommend that you download the trial version of AutoCAD Freestyle that is available at www.autodesk.com/autocadfreestyle-trial as then you can try it out on one of your projects. A number of users who have used AutoSketch in the past have reported that they find Freestyle easier to use.  That said, the feature set is somewhat different from QuickCAD and AutoSketch, so if there is something that you are looking for in particular, you may want to give the trial version a spin.

Lisa

Lisa Crounse
Sr. Product Manager
Message 3 of 8
JTAndrews.

Thanks for the response.  I will try the trial version.

Which product is most similar to QuickCAD- Autosketch or Freestyle?  I've not been able to find any comparisons.

Thanks.

JT

Message 4 of 8
crounsl

AutoSketch is more silmilar to QuickCAD, but it is not Windows 7 compatible.  AutoCAD Freestyle was build to work with Windows 7.

Lisa Crounse
Sr. Product Manager
Message 5 of 8
JTAndrews.

Now I get it.  For Autodesk products (that are on the inexpensive side) the choice is Freestyle.  I'll try the trial version.

Thanks.

JT

Message 6 of 8
beefeater

Originally the software that is called today AutoSketch was Drafix designed by a company called Foresight Resources.

Drafix became later QuickCad and is today AutoSketch by Autodesk. The major loss in the transformation from Drafix to today’s AutoSketch is the database that was attached to the CAD software to allow inventory of items on the drawing. I never used the database, but several municipalities were using Drafix for maintenance programs of street lights etc.

The feel of AutoSketch is very much the same as QuickCad, so it will not take you very long to learn it and it is reasonable priced.

Message 7 of 8
SteveGuno1

I had much the same problem with a new Laptop. I had pretty much given up, and then I decided to try something different. I have piece of equipment that allows me to run an old hard drive or an external hard drive. I had QuickCad installed on this, my orginal hard drive from my first computer in 1999. I went to the prograqms folder on the old hard drive, then copied the QuickCad folder and pasted it in the x86Programs folder of my Windows 7 C-Drive. Then went to the QuickCad folder and doubled clicked on the  QuickCad.exe, it opened, I created a desktop shortcut, and now I can use the software. the only thing that I'm not sure about is that when I open it, a messsage comes up to say that the registry wasn't updated and to go to the REGEIT to correct it. However, everything seems to work okay???? Seems to work fine.

Steve

Message 8 of 8
beefeater
in reply to: SteveGuno1

Steve You may want to use a program called "System Mechanic" to sort out the registry in your computer. Another option available today is the AutoSketch 10 software of AutoDesk. It is virtually a copy of QuickCAD. It reads the QuickCAD files and converts it to AutoSketch files. It will also if you still have Drafix files convert them to AutoSketch. I have been using AutoSketch now for a couple of years and it requires no learning curve, because it has the QuickCAD feel. AutoCAD files can also be converted to AutoSketch, but it is only able to deal with 2D files and the newer AutoCAD file formats don't work. (2009 and up) I have however a trick in how to get newer file formats in AutoSketch. AutoDesk has a free AutoCAD reader available on their website. (DWG Trueview) It allows you to read the newest AutoCAD file formats and it is able to store them back into an older file format. Your computer must have however some horsepower, because the program requires a fast computer and lots of memory. Good luck. W?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report