AutoCAD Freestyle (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freestyle - Usable in the field with a Leica Disto 8?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
dbaan
1452 Views, 6 Replies

Freestyle - Usable in the field with a Leica Disto 8?

I currently work with AutoCAD LT in the office, but I have to walk jexisting obsites to plan out Fire Alarm Systems changes and I found that the Leica Disto 8-which is a distance meter, can be used to transfer dimensions to AutoCAD via bluetooth - However, the manufacturer does not indicate which AutoCAD product supports this. Freestyle would be perfect as a field application if it supports "leicadisto" function. This would allow me to capture actual dimensions in the field that I can upload to AutoCAD LT in the office for final system designs. Any info or advise?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
crounsl
in reply to: dbaan

I am not overly familiar with the  Leica Disto 8 but in looking at their website, it appears that they ship a plug-in which allows you to use their data in AutoCAD.  Only the full version of AutoCAD allows for plug-ins of that type.

This is a very interesting use case for Freestyle though.  I'd be interested in hearing if others would find functionality like this in Freestyle to be useful.

Lisa Crounse
Sr. Product Manager
Message 3 of 7
dbaan

Can you tell me what products are considered "full versions", ie. would AutoCAD LT be included?

Message 4 of 7
crounsl

AutoCAD LT is not extensible, meaning that it does not accept plug-ins.  AutoCAD, AutoCAD Architecture, etc. allow for plug-ins.  That said, the manufacturer may or may not support different "flavors" of AutoCAD.  From their website, I would infer that they only support plain AutoCAD.

Lisa Crounse
Sr. Product Manager
Message 5 of 7
george_matos
in reply to: crounsl

Any full flavor or AutoCAD will work.  AutoCAD Architecture, AutoCAD MEP, AutoCAD MAP, etc.  I use it with ACA and know people that use it with Map.

Message 6 of 7
mjcrow

I would be interested in Freestyle but only if it was capable of taking measurements direct from a Disto with bluetooth. I am currently looking for software to do exactly that, the new version of Autosketch (10) doesn't have this capability so I will probably have to look outside the Autodesk family of products to take my business to the next level. Shame really, I've been using Autosketch since version 8 and thought the new version might include this capability, then I saw this new product (Freestyle) and thought great, surely they have bluetooth capability, but alas no. I'm sure others would also be interested in this product if it had this feature.

Message 7 of 7
george_matos

Any AutoCAD based product will work with the DISTO, takes measurements no problem.  We use AutoCAD Architecture.  I know people that have used AutoCAD Mechcanical.  I believe you just can't use AutoCAD LT.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report