Did you mean: 

Graphic Card Requirements

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
CALZADA_JOQSAN
152 Views, 3 Replies

Graphic Card Requirements

Previously consumer cards didn’t have native support for line drawing, struggled with large wireframe models, artifact clipping, overlays, multiple viewport rendering, high floating point precision. Therefore it was important to use cards like Quadro. But with advances (e.g. DirectX 12) in consumer cards, is it still necessary to obtain for instance an RTX 3500 Ada vs an RTX 4070 or 4080? The recommended requirements state “8GB GPU with 106 GB/s Bandwidth and DirectX 12 compliant” The 4070 meets this including feature 12_0 since it supports DirectX 12 Ultimate. I do see though that under “Additional Requirements for large datasets, point clouds, and 3D modeling” it indicates “DirectX-capable workstation class graphics card”

I would like to avoid spending a 3000 or more on a laptop that has a 2 year old i7 with 32GB ram and a rtx 3500 Ada if I can spend around 2000 for an 14th gen i9, 32GB GDDR5 RAM, and an rtx 4070 (8GB VRAM) or 4080 (12GB VRAM) if possible but I also want to make sure I’m getting something that will work for drafting and modeling work.

Edit: 

Just to clarify, the specifications I am referring to can be found in the link below and apply to AutoCAD 2025 and its specialized toolsets. I was also thinking of possibly using Revitt in the future but for now just AutoCad and some of its toolsets

That page lists:

AutoCAD 2025
AutoCAD Architecture 2025
AutoCAD Electrical 2025
AutoCAD for Mac 2025
AutoCAD Mechanical 2025
AutoCAD MEP 2025

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: CALZADA_JOQSAN

Which Autodesk product is this laptop for please @CALZADA_JOQSAN ?

Most are quite specific in their hardware needs.

Message 3 of 4
CALZADA_JOQSAN
in reply to: pendean

@pendean as far as I can tell, the info in the link below applies to AutoCAD 2025 and its specialized toolsets. I was also thinking possibly using Revitt in the future but for now just AutoCad and some of its toolsets

That page lists:

AutoCAD 2025
AutoCAD Architecture 2025
AutoCAD Electrical 2025
AutoCAD for Mac 2025
AutoCAD Mechanical 2025
AutoCAD MEP 2025
AutoCAD Plant 3D 2025
AutoCAD Raster Design 2025

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirement...

Message 4 of 4
pendean
in reply to: CALZADA_JOQSAN

Read this well thought out article on the subject, then decide how you wish to proceed, there really is no wrong answer as long as you understand what hardware you are purchasing and how exactly you will be using AutoCAD and its verticals

https://blog.cadalyst.com/cadmanagement/is-it-time-for-a-new-workstation-specs-for-2024-and-beyond?u... 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report