Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Icons in Windows Explorer

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2128 Views, 5 Replies

AutoCAD Icons in Windows Explorer

I have recentely installed DWG TrueView 2015 to do a batch down grade save on a bunch of files.  This had worked perferctely, except I very quickly realized that DWG TrueView 2015 decided to set itself as the default program for most (if not all) of AutoCAD's files.  So I went through manually using Windows Default Programs and re-set the files (dwg, dxf, dst) back to AutoCAD Application.  However, now all of these files show the dwg icon (inside AutoCAD that is not using Windows Explorer the icons show proper).  Is there anyway to have AutoCAD reset it's file association to get the proper icons back??

Systerm is Windows 7 Professional

AutoCAD 2015 (vanilla)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Autodesk products installed on the same computer will default to the last program used to open with.

All you needed to do was start Autocad and open a file.

The next time you double click a file it will now use Autocad not Trueview.

As far as your icons change......have no clue........maybe they will change back once you open a file with Atocad.

Ron

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Hi Ron,

I actually did not realize that DWG TrueView had over wrote the defaults until the following day, after opening numerous drawings and sheet sets with AutoCAD - and it was still set (actually I think it still is set for a bunch, I only changed the ones I needed to open with AutoCAD).  Interesingly enough, the files it did not change the default to which are still tied to AutoCAD all are set to open with AutoCAD Application (the same thing I picked) but yet DO have their proper icons. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Set by default program not by file
Message 5 of 6
Shawn_Niles

Please take a look at the article below to see if it might help:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/DWG-thu...

Shawn Niles
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

kadmonkee8 - I'm not sure what you mean, I did set by Program Default.  As I said in my earlier post, I went through Windows Program Defaults.  In order to set a Program Default, you MUST select file extension(s) for the program to be the default for.

Shawn - Thank you for the link.  However, it basically already told me what I was afraid of, that I would need to reinstall.  I was hoping that there was something similar to the "Reset Defaults" that AutoCAD has added some versions back to reset it back to it's default configuration but that would reset it's file associations.  I just can't believe that TrueView, another AutoDesk program, would just simply set itself to most of AutoCAD's file extensions without first checking to see if they were already set and then at least ASK if you would like it to be the default (or show you what it will become the default for and let you "uncheck" them) - like 90% of other programs out there do.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost