Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 3D cone with multiple holes

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
szymonprusce
325 Views, 10 Replies

AutoCAD 3D cone with multiple holes

Hello, I'm fairly new to the AutoCAD 3d and yet, I need to do the project for my engineering thesis.

I need to do exactly the same shape as following:

IMG_20231118_232856.jpg

But using different type of holes (rectangular instead of circular).

I've got no idea how to proceed with that, tried some spline and array around it, but it's not giving the result.

Any tips or solutions to that?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
parkr4st
in reply to: szymonprusce

something like this.  two cones subtract inner from outer then subtract the rectangular bars made with a sweep  on a line and arraypolar?

Message 3 of 11
Patchy

You can try this:

can do this.JPG

Message 4 of 11
leeminardi

It's not cclear from your drawing whether or not the bottom is open or closed.  If closed you might start with a shape like this and then use revolve to make a solid object.

leeminardi_0-1700361165049.png

Position a box with a cross section that is equal to the holes you want.  Then use array/polar to make additional copies as needed followed with a Boolean subtract.  In additon to positioning the boxes radially you may also need to position them on an angle so thath are perpendicular to the cocal wall.

lee.minardi
Message 5 of 11
Washingtonn
in reply to: leeminardi

See video and what follows for hints:

CW and CCW helixes could be used to develop the paths of the holes which should be perpendicular to the final truncated cone shape so the holes would not be swept on horizontal lines but angled to lines perpendicular to the sloped surface.

An array could be used to find intersections with the Helix once the number of holes in the quadrant are know (and the array angle between determined).

A dynamic block could be used with align to set each hole pattern assembly (I only show one hole set).

Use union to combine all of the swept solids/blocks (rectangular pattern in your case) and then subtract to remove them from the cone.

Message 6 of 11
parkr4st
in reply to: Washingtonn

could be we are working to hard.  All I want to know is if the rectangles are more or less orientated as desired.

It appears to me the simple way is to draw the flat stock, lay out the holes and roll the cone and fasten the seam.

For the OP 

what is the material, use, precision, for the widget?

for example a lamp shade, holes for light to shine through made of tin. molds for an injected plastic, part of a jet engine.. precision from low to very high

Message 7 of 11
szymonprusce
in reply to: parkr4st

It's for the plastic materials atomization. Made of aluminium. Rectangles would be around 7x3.5cm oriented exactly the way the curve goes - ideally like attached:

IMG_20231118_232856.jpg

Sorry for the poor visualisation - all I could do on phone right now.

Message 8 of 11
szymonprusce

The idea is great, but I'm stuck to the point with intersections. I cannot manage them to align to the centre of the cone. Doing something wrong I assume?

Sorry if the question is dumb, haven't really spent much time in AutoCAD in general, not to mention 3D.

Screenshot 2023-11-19 15-37-08.jpgScreenshot 2023-11-19 15-37-25.jpg 

Message 9 of 11
Washingtonn

The number of holes within the quarter turn will provide you with the elevation change between holes. Divide the vertical centerline by the number of holes along the helix.  Draw the lines starting from the point on the vertical centerline to the associated intersection of the helix and the vertical "cylinder"(top hole to top intersection of helix).

Message 10 of 11
Washingtonn

Note: the radial lines will have a slope to them as a result of the lines being perpendicular to the internal cone surface so adjust the vertical spacing accordingly.

Message 11 of 11
szymonprusce

I managed to finish the project thanks to you!
You're great, thank you very much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost