AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xrefs on network

36 REPLIES 36
Message 1 of 37
ryanwhitacre
7358 Views, 36 Replies

xrefs on network

I'm having a bit of trouble with AutoCAD for Mac and opening xrefs over a network.  Specifically, if I have a file open in ACAD for Mac on my machine and someone else using ACAD for Windows tries to open up a file that references the file I have open, that xref will not display on their screen.  If I close the file and they re-open the file that references the file I just closed, it shows up just fine.  It does the same thing in the opposite direction as well - if I try to open a file that contains an xref opened on a Windows machine, it won't show up either.  If I try to directly open up another file that someone else has open, I do receive the appropriate read-only dialog window.  We're using a MacMini Server w/ OS X 10.6 Server and running Windows with the newest version of Parallels if that makes any difference.  Thanks!

36 REPLIES 36
Message 21 of 37
chris
in reply to: alex951978

im not sure how to specify relative path on Mac, i guess i have only been using default. is it possible to make this the default setting accross all files?

File sharing also seems still to be an issue - i also am having problems with 'read only' warning messages.  on some investigation, seems .dwl & .dwl2 files are not being deleted, struggling to even manyually delete them.  all very strange.  any advice would be great

Message 22 of 37
HawkAIA
in reply to: chris

I always use "No Path".   The problem that I have had with relative path in the past is that it can actually grab a file out of the trash.  Have had this problem on both Mac and Windows platforms in days of yore.

See attached screenshot.

Message 23 of 37
chris
in reply to: HawkAIA

Thanks, that makes sense.  Is it possible to have this activated as a default setting for all xrefs? and is it possible to change that setting on existing drawings with xrefs already attached 

Message 24 of 37
chris

Also, any thoughts on the .dwl files not beinbg deleted?

Message 25 of 37
HawkAIA

Have not figured out how to change the default.  I expect it is a variable buried somewhere in one of the app package files, but I have not taken the time to find it.

If the dwl file is not getting deleted, that generally tends to indicate that users are not properly closing out of the file.  For example, if a user has a bunch of files on the server open on a laptop and they take the laptop home without closing the files before they yank the laptop out of the office, then you will end up with lots of stray dwl files that will cause problems. These all need to be manually deleted.

Also, if autocad crashes then dwl files will be left on the server that need to be manually deleted.

Message 26 of 37
wei503

On AutoCAD 2013 for Windows, there is a new function to switch the xref path type via Xref Manager. See screenshot. But this function is not available on Mac yet. And if you have lot of existing files need to update, this is not convenient.

About deleting the dwl files, you can either delete them manually or use some simple scripts in Terminal Window like:

rm <folder>/*.dwl

rm <folder>/*.dwl2

Thanks,
Wei

Wei Ma
AutoCAD for Mac QA Manager

Message 27 of 37
maxim_k

@CHriS wrote:

..and is it possible to change that setting on existing drawings with xrefs already attached 

Hi Chris,

I'm little bit late, but anyway:

In order to change Saved path to "No path" you have to put all referenced files to the same folder as your "master" DWG resides, open "master" DWG with Xrefs in AutoCAD, open Reference manager, select Xref you want to change path, in "Found at" field of Reference manager for this reference erase everything, except the name of drawing and hit Return, save drawing - then you will get "No path" for that reference.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 28 of 37
jamie.lee
in reply to: maxim_k

Hello, 

I'm having the same problem and I'm very frustrated!!! Office use Windows PC and I'm using a mac laption to access the main office server. We've just realised all the xref paths are missing.  I have changed "File Search Path" to the project name as you explained above. However, AutoCAD LT on office pc does not have "File Search Path" under "Options" as shown in your image. WHAT DO WE DO???? 

Please help. we cannot work like this... 

Kind regards,

jamie 

Message 29 of 37
maxim_k
in reply to: ryanwhitacre

Hi Jamie,
Which version AutoCAD LT on PC you are using at your office?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 30 of 37
jamie.lee

Hi Maxim, 

We use 2013 LT and 2009 LT on office PCs. I have 2013 on my MAC. 

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you

kind regards, 

Jamie 

Message 31 of 37
maxim_k
in reply to: jamie.lee

Hi Jamie,

AFAIK "Project files search path" is not a feature in AutoCAD LT (you can not set PROJECTNAME system variable which stored inside drawing file from within AutoCAD LT - in both versions PC and Mac), but in Mac version there are settings for "Project files search path" in Application Preferences. Why? I can not say...

Maybe Wei could answer this question.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 32 of 37
SimonAtkins5553

Hi Jamie & Maxim

We have having similar issues with x-refs on files created on windows machines with AutoCAD LT2014, saved on to a Windows network server, which cannot be accessed by MacBook Pro's running AutoCAD LT2013.

We have tried setting the projects file search path on the Mac's but this doesn't seem to get past the issues with the drive letter naming.

Has there been any developments which may help us with these problems?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,
Simon
Message 33 of 37
maxim_k
in reply to: ryanwhitacre

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi Simon,

Personally I don't use external references that are storied on server(s). But I tried (just for investigation) such scenario for using DWG files with external references saved on network server in mixed environment:
- add path to the folder on server where xrefs are placed to Support Files search path (on both machines - Mac and PC)
- attach external reference with "no path" option. You can attach xrefs on Mac or on OC

I have tried this scenario and it seems to work for me: after attaching xref I was able to open and work with "master" DWG file on Mac or on PC without loosing external references. After changing OS xrefs was not broken.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 34 of 37
HawkAIA

We work from the server all the time, and it's a Mac server.  We haven't had any major problems in Autocad 2013.  I always use "no path."  I don't ever put the xref folder location in my support path because I work on too many different projects. I just keep the xrefs in the same folder as the other dwg files for the project.  If you start burying drawings in sub-folders that will definitely cause big problems unless you also copy the xrefs into those sub-folders - which creates the problem of remembering which xref is the master.  Highly organized file naming conventions help keep the multiple files managable in one folder.  We are not running LT, but the full Autocad version both Mac and Windows.

--

john

Message 35 of 37
SimonAtkins5553

Hi Maxim,
Thanks very much for your help with this, changing the support file search path on the mac's seems to have solved the issue.
Best
Simon
Message 36 of 37
twcox

Do you have an issue with the default path option resetting?  I would like mine to always be "No Path" but it always goes back to "Full Path" and I manually have to change it.  It's not a huge issue by any means, but it would be nice if I could get around it.

Edit:  I guess this is for anybody that uses this work around.

Message 37 of 37
HawkAIA
in reply to: twcox

yes, mine always goes back to full. very annoying.

--
John A. Hawkins, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost