AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What you don't get in ACAD for Mac

34 REPLIES 34
Message 1 of 35
jaich
25772 Views, 34 Replies

What you don't get in ACAD for Mac

It looks like there is some confusion when it comes to just what doesn't come in ACAD for Mac 2011 (AKA ACAD 2002).  Here is a link to the TS doc right from Autodesk: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15833488&linkID=15839490

Here is the text from that page:

2011: What AutoCAD features are not available in AutoCAD for Mac

Published date: 2010-Oct-14 
ID: TS15833488

Applies to:
AutoCAD® for Mac® 2011

Issue

You are familiar with AutoCAD 2011 (for Windows) and you want to know what features are not available in the first release of AutoCAD 2011 for Mac.

Solution

Although AutoCAD 2011 for Mac is based on AutoCAD 2011, it was written to be a native Mac application.  As such, it is a new and separate product and not simply a port from the Windows version.  In the first release of this new product, there are some features and functionality that exist in AutoCAD 2011 that are not yet available in AutoCAD 2011 for Mac, including (but not limited to):

• 3DWalk, 3DFly, and animation support
  • Action Recorder and playback of Action Macros
  • Autopublish
  • Batch Standards Checker and the ability to use cad standards [STANDARDS, CHECKSTANDARDS]
  • CAD Manager Tools
  • ‘Classic’ dialogs for image, xref, and layers
  • Custom dictionaries
  • Data Extraction Wizard [EATTEXT] (Attribute extraction can still be done using –ATTEXT)
  • dBConnect and Datalink support
  • DesignCenter
  • DGN support
  • Digitally signing drawings or notification when opening digital signed drawings
  • Digitizer support
  • Drawing Recovery Manager
  • DWF support
  • Dynamic block authoring
  • Editable drawing properties [DWGPROPS]
  • eTransmit and Archive
  • Express Tools
  • Extended tooltips
  • FBX import/export
  • Filter and Quick Select
  • Geographic location support
  • Hyperlink
  • In-place editing of blocks or xrefs [REFEDIT]
  • Layer filters
  • Layer notification
  • Layer State Manager (fundamental layer state operations can still be performed using the stAte option in the -LAYER command or using the (layerstate-xxx) AutoLISP functions)
  • Layer Translator
  • Layer Walk
  • Some Layer Tools [LAYCUR, LAYDEL, LAYON, LAYTHW, LAYMCH, LAYMRG, LAYVPI]
  • Layout wizard
  • Markup Set Manager
  • Navigation bar and SteeringWheels
  • OLE objects
  • Password protecting a drawing or opening password protected drawings
  • PDF underlay
  • Plot style configuration
  • Plotting to file
  • Point Clouds
  • Purge dialog (all purge options are still available from the command line)
  • Quick Properties palette
  • Reference Manager (the external reference repathing utility)
  • Share with Autodesk Seek
  • Sheet Set Manager
  • ShowMotion
  • Slide creation or viewing
  • Table style setup
  • Tool palettes
  • User Profiles
  • VBA (Visual Basic for Applications)
  • Visual LISP editor
  • WMF import/export
  • Xref notification

Other Functionality

• Most AutoLISP will work unless it includes Windows calls (using .NET) or uses DCL dialogs
  • Most ARX applications will work unless it includes MFC or .NET calls
  • No import or export of CUI customization
  • There is only one workspace
  • Visual styles must be created at the command line
  • Sun Properties palette and Visual Styles managers are merged with the Properties Inspector
  • Camera objects cannot be created
  • Materials cannot be edited or created and you can not adjust the way a material maps on an object [MATERIALMAP]
  • Tessellation for new 3D mesh objects must be set via the command line(MESHOPTIONS and MESHPRIMITIVEOPTIONS are not available)
  • Rendering options are limited (no Advanced Render Settings palette or Rendercrop)
  • Limited editing and style support for Multilines
  • PC3 plot files may work but will depend on whether or not it uses proprietary drivers
  • Page sizes are referenced differently between AutoCAD 2011 and AutoCAD for Mac 2011
  • CUI editor may include commands that are not actually available
  • Command auto-completion may offer commands that are not actually available
  • System variables for missing features may still exist and be editable but will have no affect if the accompanying feature is not included.  They have been kept to help preserve scripting compatibility.
34 REPLIES 34
Message 21 of 35
wf5
Community Visitor
in reply to: Jesus-loves-you

if i could pay for a real version, I would be willing.  Free doesn't make a poor attempt acceptable.

Message 22 of 35

HELP! I can't get a command line. I've force quit auto-cad and when i re-opened it, still no command line. I guess the 'official' command line could be hidden, but no commands are functional.  I am using the trial version of this, otherwise I would be very upset. But this is disappointing. If done right, autoCad on a Mac would be great. Even still, the 2011

I will now switch back to my PC.  While it would be great and convenient to have this software on my Mac, i found that Autocad functioned better on a Mac on Bootcamp than a PC. So, I will continue with that. This is really surprising. AutoCad has brilliant software.

Message 23 of 35

AutoCad has brilliant software......................smileyvery-happy:

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 24 of 35
ecambron
in reply to: wf5

The following will reset your application configurations and restore the command prompt.

The disadvantage to this cure is that any other configuration changes you have done will also reset.

Keeping a list of changes would be a good idea.

On the menu select AUTOCAD ==> Preferences ==> Application.

Select the "Reset Application Options"

Message 25 of 35
npmorrill
in reply to: jaich

for ****'s sake.  it sure is nifty that i can draw some lines with mac, but I would LOVE to: create Table Styles, Layout properly, and eTransmit.

Dear AutoDesk-

Can you please submit a WORKING version of AutoCAD for Mac?

Message 26 of 35
npmorrill
in reply to: d-web

sure, but that's not the point...

Message 27 of 35
mrkaplan

i agree with those disappointed.   there are way too many important features missing .

Message 28 of 35
TKraus

I have been running 2011 PC on parallels, and it runs smoothly; for the most part.  I have experienced one main "glitch."  

I have created a custom sub-menu through the CUI interface.  This menu allows me to enter specific drawing commands and change layers with one click.  

I have attached my custom sub-menu to the o-snaps menu that comes up when "mbubbonpan" is turned on so that I can have access to the OSNAPS overrides menu.  What is happening in 2011 is that the new line defaults to the last point of the last object drawn, instead of to the osnap override.  This did not happen when I ran the custom menu in 2007, so I believe it is something that has to do with my change to 2011.  I am using the same file that I created for 2007, which may also be adding to the problem.

Other than that, it is working well in parallels.

Message 29 of 35
d-web
in reply to: wf5

Does your situation happen when you enter the @ sign for selecting the second point, causing the line to end somewhere else? If so, that's the issue I have. But I only have it on my PC running Autocad 2011 on XP. On my Mac running Autocad 2011/Windows XP on Parallels, the issue doesn't happen.

Message 30 of 35
TKraus

No, if I put in a destination using the @ symbol, everything is cool.  It is happening when I initiate the command and want to specify a start point.

Message 31 of 35
Anonymous

Anyone who knows anything about a release of Autocad for Mac 2016?

From january 2016 on, I start as an independent draftsman an I have to decide wether to buy a Mac version, or stick to Bootcamp and buy a Windowsversion.

I rather prefer to stay on my iMac however.

The bggest shortcomings for my kind of drafting is the poor possibilities to create Dynamic Blocks. I want to have it all te same as in the Windows-version. I sure miss the Lookup-tables, and a decent workout for visibility states.

The second most issue is the lack of Tool Palletes.

And as a third point: Data extraction...

I hope they solve this soon, since the investment in a Full version is a big dump of euro's for me if it lacks these items

Message 32 of 35
maxim_k

Hi,

It will be released this year.
About dynamic block functionality - it is still the same as in 2015 version.
You may also look here:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-for-mac-general/autocad-for-mac-public-beta-available/td-p/579...

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 33 of 35
raumpunktmp

Hi,
Autocad License is for both - Mac and for Windows.

Message 34 of 35
Anonymous
in reply to: raumpunktmp

So I can download and install both versions (mac and pc) and use the same license key and -numer?
That's a bit of a solution.
Message 35 of 35
raumpunktmp
in reply to: Anonymous

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost