AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating text styles

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dom0cerv
11289 Views, 4 Replies

Updating text styles

Hi,

I'm using AutoCad 2012 for Mac. I created a customize text style when I started drawing so, now I need to modify some properties (specifically the text height). I've tried to modify the text height in my own style (Format>Text Style...) but after clicking "Apply", the text I already had written before haven't been updated. Is there any way to apply the chages to texts which have been written before?

Note: I've tried the same operation with "Dimension Style" and it works fine. Every "dimension objet" it's updated after modifying its "Dimension Style".

Thank you for your attention,

Rafa.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
maxim_k
in reply to: dom0cerv

Hi,

Let me to clarify some aspects of changing text style (based on help system):

You can modify an existing text style in the Text Style dialog box by changing the settings. You can also update existing text of that text style to reflect the changes, but:

1. Certain style settings affect multiline and single-line text objects differently. For example, changing the Upside Down and Backwards options has no effect on multiline text objects. Changing Width Factor, Obliquing and Height options has no effect on single-line text.

2. When you change the text style of a multiline text object, the updated settings are applied to the entire object, and some formatting of individual characters might not be retained. The following table describes the effects of text style change on character formatting.
Formatting   Retained?
Bold                    No
Color                   Yes
Font                    No
Height                 No
Italic                    No
Stacking              Yes
Underlining         Yes

So, as you can see everything depends on type of text objects in your drawing.

For multiline text object you can change height via Text Style dialog, but only if initial height was not equal 0 (zero)

You can also use Annotative text styles, add scales to it and then change text height via Status Bar by changing Annotation Scale from drop-down list (see here for further explanation)

But in order to simplify your task I can advise you to change text height via Properties Inspector Palette:

1. Select area in your drawing with text objects

2. At the top of Properties inspector you will see drop-down list with "Multiple Selected (...)" on it - open the list and select Text or Mtext (they are separate), then in All section of properties find Height field and type in new value.

3. Repeat this for all of Text objects you need to change.

Actually there are a lot of another methods, but you can try at first the above one.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 5
Peterstair
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi Maxim,

I am running into this problem and am trying to understand what you have written.

After creating a text style with an annotative height of 1/4", and using it in a set of drawings, my boss has asked me to change all the annotative text height to 3/32", but the program will not allow me to do this. I am having to go into every drawing and manually select the text and change it in the properties pallette. Can you advise me on why I cannot just change the height in the text style dialogue box?

Thanks,

Peter

Message 4 of 5
maxim_k
in reply to: Peterstair

Hi Peter,

You can change the height of the text style in the Text Style dialog box, but this will affect only newly created text objects (this is true for annotative Text Styles too).
Plus - when you set Text Style height in the Text Style dialog, you set it for Paper Space and for 1:1 scale in Model Space.
You can control the height of annotative Text Styles by changing the scale of the viewport or in the Model Space via Status bar. In order the changes of the height will be visible you need also to turn on "Automatically add scales to annotative objects" on the Status Bar or set sys var ANNOAUTOSCALE=4.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 5
Peterstair
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi Maxim,
I think I've found that the issue I was having was that in the UNITS dialogue box I had the measurement precision set to ⅛", which was making it impossiblefor me to set my annotative text to 3/32". I set the UNITS to 32nds, changed my annotative text, dimension text and mleader text to 3/32" and then reset my UNITS back to ⅛" again. Now everything is showing up in my layouts as I wanted it to ( in 32nds) but my measurement precision is to 1/8ths as I originally wanted it to.
Thanks,
Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost