AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touchpad scroll direction

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
vicviper789
5323 Views, 14 Replies

Touchpad scroll direction

Hi all, is there anyways to change the scroll direction on the trackpad of Mac 2013 Autocad? I like Autocad but I don't like how it uses the "natural" scrolling even with it turned off in OS X. It is just weird having your OS work one way but Autocad work the opposite. 

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
hpux735
in reply to: vicviper789

+1  How can I change this?

It's very jarring to have the scroll direction wrong.

Message 3 of 15
maxim_k
in reply to: hpux735

Hi,

Do you mean PAN with two fingers on Trackpad?

In my opinion panning with two fingers with Trackpad is really natural - when I use panning with Trackpad I always have a feeling as if I hold the drawing area and drag it in the desired direction.

And such behavior is the same as in AutoCAD for Windows, as it there has always been in the AutoCAD since introduction of real-time pan feature. If you use real-time pan (PAN command) AutoCAD even substitute crosshairs with hand symbol:

Screen Shot.png

and you drag digital "sheet" by putting this "hand" on it, and "sheet" moves the same direction as your "hand".

Do you want to say that when you put two fingers to Trackpad and drag them in one direction AutoCAD should "scroll" drawing area in opposite direction?

Ah, yes, AFAIK there is no way to change this in AutoCAD (both for Mac and Windows).

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 4 of 15
vicviper789
in reply to: maxim_k

"Do you want to say that when you put two fingers to Trackpad and drag them in one direction AutoCAD should "scroll" drawing area in opposite direction?"

Yeah, when I drag two fingers, I want the drawing area to go in the opposite direction. You know how OSX Lion comes with the scrolling inverted by default with the label of "natural scrolling"? It's the same idea, I can't reverse 20 years of being used to something just because. Using AutoCAD with the weird scrolling is like driving a car with the gas and break pedals switched, one can learn, or one can look for a car with normal pedals!

Until Autodesk adds a scroll direction toggle, I will look for another CAD program.Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 15
maxim_k

@vicviper789 wrote:
I can't reverse 20 years of being used to something ..

Did you use Windows version of AutoCAD for 20 years?

But in it (on PC) pan has the same behavior as I think I have on Mac - in PAN command I press a button and drag mouse up - and the whole drawing moves up - isn't it?

The same for pan with trackpad.

Maybe you mean panning with scrollbars in Windows version of AC? but in Mac version there are no scrollbars at all.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 6 of 15
rleslievideo

SOLVED

I had to search deep into some of the other forums with bad spelling and all sorts of nonsense to find a satisfactory solution. Since this is the first Google result I want to post it here to make it easier for people searching for the same thing I needed. 

pilotmoon.com/scrollreverser

This utility was made for pre Lion OS X 10.7 to give the natural scrolling direction and it is working perfectly on Mavericks 10.9. Give some donate love to the developer. This is a LIFE SAVER for using autocad 2011 on a Mac. Someone else made tha analogy of trying to learn how to drive with the Gas and brake reveresed. ZOOMWHEEL 0 and 1 settings are possible but couldn't find anything to reverse PAN direction so I can navigate in the same natural direction as if I am using a touchscreen tablet.  The only pain is that you have to select reverse direction when going back to doing anything on the operating system

For the people who understand the need and don't appreciate the smarky useless comments on why you shouldn't do something you are asking about this is the utility you need to reverse the panning using the trackpad. Hoping Autocad adds a simple scroll direction reverse setting in the program in the preferences pane beside reverse zoom direction if the newer versions don't already have it.

Message 7 of 15

I bought a magic mouse. I only use the mouse for Autcad and find it much easier and quicker than using the track pad.

Message 8 of 15
jxles2

It is now 2020. Has Autocad fixed this issue yet?

What is the solution?

Message 9 of 15
maxim_k
in reply to: jxles2

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi Jake,
This topic is rather old.
Which issue do you mean?
Can you provide more details about your problem?

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 15
jmudglove
in reply to: maxim_k

I have this problem as well. For me it degrades the usability of the product on a mac laptop with trackpad. I expect, like in most 3d programs I use, for the viewport frame to move in the direction i am dragging, which is the opposite of Fusions, which moves the object in the scroll direction. For some reason I just can't get used to it. Just my experience and I came here hoping to find a setting to flip the scroll orientation. 

Message 11 of 15
maxim_k
in reply to: jmudglove

Hi @jmudglove,

You can leave your feedback here:
https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 15

I have this problem as well. How many years needs to Autodesk to fix this proplem? 8? 18? 28?

Message 13 of 15
pendean
in reply to: crossfireWX3QC

No one here is Autodesk, we are all end users just like you.

You can leave your feedback here:
Message 14 of 15
selwonk

it's infuriating that this is still problem in 2022. i just want the option to decide which direction vertical scroll moves the viewport and which direction horizontal scroll moves the viewport. it's like trying to drive a car with your feet. 

Message 15 of 15
pendean
in reply to: selwonk

@selwonk wrote:

it's infuriating that this is still problem in 2022.

You can leave your feedback to Autodesk here:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost