AutoCAD for Mac General Discussion

AutoCAD for Mac General Discussion

Active Contributor
betazero
Message 11 of 22 (1,470 Views)

Re: Switching from Windows to Mac for AutoCAD 2013

08-01-2012 11:58 AM in reply to: dgorsman

Your missing what I am saying. They can make MORE money by selling for less per copy . Our company, for example, would upgrade to 2013 from 2008 if the total cost for 20 seats was 6,000 bucks and not 60,000. As it is right now we have no valid reason to upgrade. Autocad is like Excel or Word at this point. 99% of what you need to produce a set of construction documents is there. They are working to add 1% more in each version update. Sometimes they create a game changing feature but not too often. I dont need a fancier looking Autocad. It just needs to function at least as good as the previous version. Look at Apple for example. They are a huge company and they keep dropping the prices of their key software. Logic Pro, for example, used to be 499.99 ( or more I think ) for the latest version was dropped to 199.99 for its latest version. Its more accesible to a larger range of people. Expecially now with Architecture being hit sooo hard from the recession. Its like the difference between an R rated movie and PG13. Ten times more people will flock to PG13 movies. Also, I would go to the movies more often if they cost 7 bucks instead of 20 bucks a ticket and popcorn was a buck and not 5. Same principal. As it is now I just go to certain movies I know will be better on the big screen. After popcorn and all its like 80 bucks for 2 people compared to 8 bucks at home for 30 people if I wanted. 

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 12 of 22 (1,458 Views)

08-02-2012 11:32 AM in reply to: Brooks-Architecture

Marketing department, use marketing terms?  Unheard of... :smileyvery-happy:

I'll bet if you look at the literature you will see it never says that it has *all* the features of the Windows version, just that its "Full featured" - marketing-speak for lots'o'commands and settings.  Maybe a little misleading in a casual glance but certainly no lies.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

sschmitt406
Message 13 of 22 (1,400 Views)

08-29-2012 12:20 PM in reply to: ggxdxd

Any resolution to the "floating" windows and toolbars issue?  Just getting into Acad for Mac 2013, using dual monitors (some times) and every time I open the program let alone a new drawing sometimes, the pallettes shift.  Uber annoying. I wish there was a way to at least lock down the toolbars.

Valued Contributor
David_Stacey
Message 14 of 22 (1,394 Views)

08-30-2012 05:32 AM in reply to: ggxdxd
My experience is that 2013 still resets the tool palette windows to the defaults. Hopefully they'll issue a fix in the service pack!
182cadman
Message 15 of 22 (1,366 Views)

09-04-2012 01:41 PM in reply to: betazero

Got to completey agree with what your are saying. People using the old excuss that programmes need payment, etc etc  in this day in age really does not stack up.

The days of 4k software are slowly going, people simply wont pay, and the consumer will make a choice with there feet.

I kknow many many people whom utilise LT simply because its cheaper, (obiouvs statement) but why pay 4K for a software package that dosent have half the tools???

Come on people wake up, if it was your company and your money and you had 5 employees would you really fork out 4k each ???????

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 16 of 22 (1,362 Views)

09-04-2012 02:29 PM in reply to: 182cadman

In short, yes, if only because I expect to get paid for my own work so I can't justify *not* paying others for theirs.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Active Contributor
betazero
Message 17 of 22 (1,356 Views)

09-04-2012 06:26 PM in reply to: dgorsman

Its not about not paying them, Its about paying them approprietly. 3000+ bucks for a cd is too much. Movie makers spend 200+ million on a movie but they only charge 20 bucks to own it. I know its not the same but its similar. Autodesk is just looking at the industry wrong. They think that professionals want to shell out the equivalent of a persons salery every year on minor software upgrades. Everyone in the architectural buisness is getting screwed right now with salerys. I will not be recommending a software upgrade that hinders my chance for a raise and I am the IT guy. Not to mention the fact that even Autocad LT is priced too high for the non-professional, if that is who it was supposed to be aimed at.

182cadman
Message 18 of 22 (1,349 Views)

09-05-2012 01:37 AM in reply to: betazero

Can only agree with Betazero,  if AutoDesk lowered the cost slightly of LT more people would make the move, also Autodesk need to understand that this yearly release with only minor tweaks is not enough to make people shell out even if it is for Lt £1k per user per year for some that looks nice and new.

Autodesk never really had the need to do a yearly release, they just had a bloody good package, and when a new release came along it was fantastic and lead the way. 

Now being really harsh it seem the only reason AutoDesk undertake a yearly relase is so they can drop the slightly older version, and by that I mean a couple of years, and not support it.

This way they can try and charge companies even more money to upgragde and bolt on support packages!!!!!!!

You make the judegment. Having worked in the industry for 15 years now I know what alot of people are thinking and many are taking a long hard look at all costs including software packages and looking for alternatives, that while slightl cheapers do not require this yearly upgrade.

If AutoDesk really want to blow away the compertion then lower the price of LT the entry level pakcage, make it so painfully priced that most companies will not be able to say no and bang, you've got people whom are going to be brand loyal. But nowadays this loyal customer is taking a long hard look at the cost.

bencaires
Message 19 of 22 (1,204 Views)

11-11-2012 03:52 AM in reply to: ggxdxd

Hey Maxim,

You say that Etransmit can be worked around on the Mac but I can't find that trick... Could you elaberate?

Ben

morales545j
Message 20 of 22 (1,124 Views)

Re: Design Center

12-06-2012 07:10 PM in reply to: ggxdxd

This really is anoying, not having this features; especially the Design Center... Is there any way to download some comads individual for AutoCad 2013 Mac?  

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!