AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spinney Rainbow & Optimizing AutoCAD Performance

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Qwerty_001
1793 Views, 5 Replies

Spinney Rainbow & Optimizing AutoCAD Performance

Hi All,

I've lost two hours to spinney rainbow today, and I need to figure out how to get this program or system running more efficiently. 

I've always had minor issues with files that have a lot of xrefs or hatches, but it has been ridiculously slow today. I've had to force quit this file 4 times. I often get spinney rainbow when I try to change from one CAD window to another. As an interior designer, I don't think these files are particularly complex or large.

Any ideas on how I can get it to perform faster or more efficiently? 

My Mac specs are: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB on OS X 10.8.5

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
maxim_k
in reply to: Qwerty_001

What AutoCAD you are using (SP if available)?
Do you have only problems with switching between drawings? Or there are problems with cursor movement inside drawing area?
Do you have Custom Hatch patterns loaded to AutoCAD support files search path?
Do you have a lot of text objects with True Type fonts?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 6
dgorsman

"Large" is relative Smiley Tongue.  A typical file size number would help.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 6
Qwerty_001
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi Maxim,

Using Autocad for Mac LT 2013.

Problem is mainly switching between drawings. If I have a couple of files open it takes several minutes to move from one to another. Sometimes zooming or navigating within a window can be slow too, and that mainly occurs in files with lots of hatching. The program can be working fine, but then I will switch into another file and the spinney rainbow starts. Then it will continue to stall every time I switch files until I restart the computer, regardless of what files I am in. I can even close Autocad down and reopen all the files, and the problem persists until I restart the computer.

I do have custom hatch patterns loaded, but no text objects with True Type fonts. 

My largest drawing file to date is 2 MB, but the majority are under 200KB.

Message 5 of 6
maxim_k

Hi,

The problem you have is because of a lot of custom hatch patterns you have on support files search path, but it seems to me that it was fixed in one of a Service Packs.
Have you installed both SP for AC LT 2013 for Mac? Or if you have Mac App Store version - please verify that you have updated to the last version.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 6 of 6
Qwerty_001
in reply to: maxim_k

I do have both Service Packs installed, and my CAD is was purchased direct from Autodesk. 

I'm going to delete some of those hatch files. There are a lot, and I use very few of them. I'll let you know if that improves things.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost