AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Similar Windows Interface for AutoCAD Mac?

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
tjarolimek
24007 Views, 25 Replies

Similar Windows Interface for AutoCAD Mac?

Hello,

I just read a recent post where someone asked if it is possible to change the interface for AutoCAD Mac to look more similar to that of AutoCAD windows, and it was replied to that that is not possible. My question is simliar but not completely the same; I am taking an AutoCAD class and will be using it reguarly in my major discipline. Part of the reason I even bought a new Macbook Pro was because of the new support for Mac across the programs required by my University's college. Now that I'm starting AutoCAD, I'm being told that I'll be required to purchase Bootcamp or Parallels, and use the windows version, rather than the mac version. My questions are:

1. How different from the windows version is the Mac version? My teacher replied with the statement "I will be teaching the Windows version, so you will be required to use that." Are they exceptionally different from each other? Even if they are, will it be possible for me to figure things out? I have moderate experience with AutoCAD 2010 for Windows.

2. Say they aren't simliar; is there any way to change the interface so that they are similar?

3. The above questions are not possible to do. For anyone with a similar experience, what is the best way to run a windows based program on a Mac? I am looking for optimum efficiency and lowest price.

Thanks,
Todd J

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
maxim_k
in reply to: tjarolimek

Hi Todd,

@tjarolimek wrote:

1. How different from the windows version is the Mac version? My teacher replied with the statement "I will be teaching the Windows version, so you will be required to use that." Are they exceptionally different from each other? Even if they are, will it be possible for me to figure things out? I have moderate experience with AutoCAD 2010 for Windows.

Some people find that these differences are extremely great. For most users, the lack of Ribbon in the version for Mac is a somewhat major "stumbling block".

From my own experience I can say that I had no particular difficulties with the transition to Mac version from AutoCAD 2007 for Windows.

But if you are taking an AutoCAD class and you will learn AC for Win at class, then you need to use AC for Windows on methodological reasons.

@tjarolimek wrote:

2. Say they aren't similar; is there any way to change the interface so that they are similar?

As you know - it is impossible. OK, I can say, that AC for Mac looks more like AC 2005-2007 for Win (i.e. before introducing the Ribbon and Windows-style Tool Palettes.

@tjarolimek wrote:
I'm being told that I'll be required to purchase Bootcamp or Parallels, and use the windows version, rather than the mac version.

3. The above questions are not possible to do. For anyone with a similar experience, what is the best way to run a windows based program on a Mac? I am looking for optimum efficiency and lowest price.

You don't need to purchase Bootcamp (it is the only name for Windows partition on Mac hard drive).

So if you need to run Windows version of AC on Mac you have two options:

1. Install Windows on Bootcamp partition and every time when you need to run AutoCAD yo have to restart your Mac from Bootcamp partition.

2. You can install Windows (and AC in it) inside virtual machine. This could be paid Parallels Desktop, VMware Fusion or even free Virtual Box.

So you have to pay for Windows (in both cases) and for one of the visualization software (except Virtual Box). If you are student - I think you can have some discount for Parallels (and maybe for VMware).

BTW: you can install Windows on Bootcamp, then install visualization soft (of your choice) and run Windows installed on Bootcamp from Mac side with the help of this visualization software, at the same time you leave an opportunity to restart from Bootcamp, if you need "fantastic" performance :))

Maxim

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 26
billcerts

Hi Todd,

If the teacher of the class replied you are required to use Windows, he or she is a poor teacher, and likely to be more interested in teaching his or her way of using AutoCad, not helping you learn what you need to do to accomplish your goals.  You need to understand that there is no one way to work in AutoCad.  I have never met two people who use it the same way.  AutoCad is a powerfull tool that does many things.  You will find as you develop your own tools and methods to do what you need to do, that you are only using certain parts of the program. 

The real question is what kind of student are you.  If you are facile with computers and learn quickly, you will have no problems interpolating information to the Mac environment.  The interfaces look different, but the commands are the same.  Get a book on AutoCad for the Mac, as you have questions, you can look them up.  Don't be afraid of this program, just start using it the way you will be using it for work.  I hope this is helpful.

Message 4 of 26
tjarolimek
in reply to: maxim_k

Thank you both for your replies! I researched the programs and I honestly do not want to partition my hard drive, as I only have 256 GB of hard drive space. Is this a huge amount? Yes, but I don't want to split it up at this point. Plus, I'd much rather download the program designed for my Mac. I brought my PC and my Macbook, and will download both versions on both computers, and bring my PC with me to class to learn. I totally agree though, it is somewhat rediculous that the teacher won't make exceptions for students with Macs, as Macs are now close to either 1/5 or 1/4 of the laptop marketshare (?). The teacher isn't even a teacher, he's a teachers assistant, so possiliby that explains his lack of flexibility.

Is there a recommended book to purchase for AutoCAD for Mac use? 

Respectfully,

Todd J.

Message 5 of 26
tjarolimek

Additionally, I am an exceptionally intutive student and am able to grasp concepts quickly, so I feel like transfering the concepts while learning different interfaces and commands will not be difficult for me. At this point I think taking my PC to class will be the easiest and most cost effective option.

Message 6 of 26
maxim_k

Hi Todd,

About the book(s):

One of the best books on AutoCAD for Mac (training - learning) I have seen is "AutoCAD 2011 for Mac: One Step at  a Time" by Timothy Sean Sykes. Although it is about AutoCAD 2011 for Mac, I think it is good place to start.

There is also another one book Mastering AutoCAD® for Mac® (also about AC 2011 for Mac).

And these video tutorials from lynda.com:

AutoCAD 2011: Migrating from Windows to Mac

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 26
dgorsman
in reply to: billcerts

It might very well be a requirement, and a valid one at that.  Consider that the instructor may provide plug-ins for verification of test drawings; or the instructor may not want to waste time trying to do Mac tech support instead of teaching AutoCAD.  I've seen students try to do similar things, and while they professed to be oh-so-very-good the instructor always ended up spending inordinate amounts of time covering non-related things.

Regardless, the instructor is in charge and thats not likely to change when you get to the workforce, either.  When you get to teaching, or supporting the software, or running the company, then you get to choose.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 26
chriswade

You can also use Virtual Box at http://virtualbox.org this is afree, not quite as robust as VMWare or Parallels, but the price is right. You can also of course do dual boot with Boot Camp for free.

Depending on the version mof AutoCAD that is required, you may also be able to run it on Wine, jsut do a google search for Wine OS X and you will find many ways to install it. This would be an option to avoid having to buy Windows completely, just check the compatibility list to make sure your version will work.

As for buying Windows, you can buy a cheaper version as a student, this may help.

AutoDesk offers free student versions to students the last I checked, so there should be no issue there.

Message 9 of 26
gregory

you should become a Mac AutoCAD teacher!  it's the future!

-G

Message 10 of 26
tgcsfo
in reply to: gregory

I know this thread is a little old, but I was hoping there might be some new solutions.  I did the switch from PC to Mac, but the AC 2013 interface is so different that it's really slowing me down.  Also the reference books I have no longer apply even though they're 2012.  I'm facing a big project and I'm wondering if I should:

- go back to my windows parallel environment (involves spending $ to upgrade)

- asking you guys if there is some sort of option to use the classic interface like there was on the windows side.  

- hope that someone has created a toolbar plug-in, I heard about one but every lead I followed didn't pan out.  

- The other option seems to be to watch tll the Lynda videos to see if I can just learn it.  The problem with that is that just about any office I work in will be running on PC.  It might actually be counter productive.

I still can't understand why Autodesk would make the two interfaces so different.  For those of you contemplating the switch, it's like being in a conversation where one person speaks Spanish and the other Italian.  You can understand the general idea, but the details get lost so you'll end up with more quesitons than answers.   

Has anyone found a solution?  This seems like a very common frustration, although the posts aren't recent, so dare I hope that someone has a solution????  

Message 11 of 26
pendean
in reply to: tgcsfo

Nothing has changed: the MAC interface is created for MAC users, not WIndows users.

Did you not do any type of field testing before jumping platforms?

Message 12 of 26
tgcsfo
in reply to: pendean

All the other software I've used is it pretty similar. AutoCAD is the only one that is vastly different.  For example Adobe products seem identical.  Up until now I've been running everything on Mac, except AutoCAD which I run in Parallels.  The only problem with that is that Paralles doesn't support upgrades to keep up with Mac OS, they make you pay for each upgrade.  BTW it wasn't my choice to switch, everyone here switched.  

Not to be whiney but judging from the many threads about htis problem across the internet, it's not like I'm alone in my frustration.  It's not just the ribbon, I actually don't mind that, it's that many of the tool options are different, names of functions have changed, location of tools, etc.  Remember that many people run one system at home and another at work (that's how I got into this mess).  When using AutoCAD on both platforms, it's a struggle to do the same tasks in such very different ways.  Considering that this is a professional tool, and that people change jobs fairly frequently, it is not practical for there to be such differences.  You could work in a PC office for years and find youself struggling to use a program you used to know very well when you get hired to work in an office that runs Mac.  In this economy it's not very practical for people to say "yeah, I'd really love this job, but I'm a PC AutoCAD user so it will take me a few months to learn the Mac UI".  

In the words of Guido the killer pimp "...you look like a smart kid. I'm going to tell you something I'm sure you'll understand. You're having fun now, right? Right, Joel? The time of your life. In a sluggish economy, never ever f&*^ with another man's livelihood. Now, if you're smart, and I hope you are, you're not gonna make me come back here."

Message 13 of 26
pendean

"you" was intended for you, your company, your decision makers, anyone involved in the decision to switch: sounds like you need to complain to them and be heard and demand some serious training to make the transition less painful. That's a shortcomming of the company you work for unfortunately. You are just preaching to fellow end users here, so it's going nowhere for the most part.

The AutoCAD for MAC format is a very comfortable Mac-friendly interface created for MAC users needing access to AutoCAD, but not Windows users switching OS and wanting to keep the Windows interface. What other software vendors do is not relevant sadly since none of them own or write code for Autodesk.

As for commands missing or working differently, you forget that AutoCAD is Microsoft Windows Centric on the original platform and they had to unplug from there and tap into a world-class Unix-based hard-core OS like the MAC. Things changed, and they still struggle with other Windows-based abilities and porting them to MAC OS.

It is my personal opinion that if you really want to see the future of AutoCAD that we will all use regardless of OS, you need to jump on AutoCADWS. Totally different from either platform and most likely the only format we will all be using sooner than later.

Talk to your supervisor about getting proper training: you need it. They are denying you the key to their provided office tools.

Message 14 of 26
maxim_k

Hi,

I'm just curious: what do you mean by:

@tgcsfo wrote:
... it's that many of the tool options are different, names of functions have changed,...

There are some features that are available only in AC for Mac, and a lot of features that not available in it in compare to the Windows version. But on Command line "level" this two AutoCADs are the same.

In case of differences between interfaces: do you want to complain about "wrong" position of window control elements (Close, Restore, Maximize) on Mac - they are on the left side (opposite to the right side on PC - Windows).

After all the problem of studying the "new" or "different" in using the software (and in any other case) is entirely dependent on the interests and needs of each user. For example for me it was interesting to know about the quote you provided in your post. It was not difficult for me to find out that the quote was from "Risky Business" movie, despite the fact that this movie has never been in Cinemas in my country (in Russia).

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 15 of 26
pendean

The quote I suspect is an attempt at what is referred to as a Straw Man Argument: probably well intentioned superficially but just not relevant at all 🙂

The OP is missing the point of his quote: his company (not Autodesk) made the switch and they either offer no training with their provided business tools, or he has not started training or asked for it yet, or his company has set the OP up to fail for some reason (which I can't believe at all but I thought I would add to the conspiracy theory LOL).

Message 16 of 26
dgorsman

You situation is not an uncommon one in business.  They can change software versions, or even brands, and you will need to adapt to a whole new interface on the fly, and sometimes without training.  With the rapid pace of software, hardware, and OS development (and marketing) thats not going to change.

Be adaptable.  Don't just learn the one program, learn how to learn to use any program.  It will not only future-proof your skills but make you a valuable asset for training other users and selecting future software.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 17 of 26
THDesign-CA
in reply to: dgorsman

I guess one doesn't become Elite expert for nothing. However, notwithstanding the fact that this situation is "not uncommon one in business" that doesn't make it right or desirable. Adopt, adapt, overcome or else are lofty slogans but this case looks like a disconnect ratrher than evolution.

Nevermind that the UI is entirely different but simple things that irk me to no end, like not being able to rename layouts from bottom ribbon palette (like you can from tabs on WIn), and still not able to rename them upon lauching a completely counter-intuitive window where you have to go to Help to find out that you cannot rename them even there, since for some reason they are created as Default layouts... this type of shortcomings are a serious no-no for a major brand software that comes with a hefty price.

I've spent 2 days on trying to figure out how to print black & white from a colored layout sheet with no success whatsoever. The printing dialogs are dismal compared to Acad for Windows, and Apple's own Ui, especially in ML is not helping either.

How does one pick, import or save as and print to a legacy .ctb or .stb file in that Page setup dialog... where are the options of doing that in the Page Setup or Print dialogs?

This being the 3rd incarnation of a commercial release (and not beta-testing anymore) I wish things would be more easier to find that exploring, adapting and overcoming at every step.

Terry Heard Designers
350 Lakeshore Road East · Suite 200
Oakville · ON · Canada · L6J 1J6
tel | 905.842.3131
Message 18 of 26
maxim_k
in reply to: THDesign-CA

Hi Marcel,

Most questions answered here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-for-Mac/AC-LT-2013-on-ML-Printing-Issues/td-p/3798029

@THDesign-CA wrote:

Nevermind that the UI is entirely different but simple things that irk me to no end, like not being able to rename layouts from bottom ribbon palette (like you can from tabs on WIn), and still not able to rename them upon lauching a completely counter-intuitive window where you have to go to Help to find out that you cannot rename them even there, since for some reason they are created as Default layouts...

Yes, you are right: you can not rename Layouts from Status Bar, but if you are using QuickView Dialog Box ("a completely counter-intuitive window" as you call it) - you can freely to rename all Layouts (except Model) with context menu, or from additional menu at the top right of the dialog, or simply by selecting Layout name under the thumbnail of the Layout and correcting it.

Screen Shot 2013-03-07 at 9.56.18.png

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 19 of 26
THDesign-CA

What would I do without you Maxm? Smiley Happy

I'm in the process of setting up a Mac-bvased CAD station for an old school design client that does not understand why a prominent software company like Autodesk would take suh a wildly different approach in providing a Mac version of their mainstay Windows software.

Him, like me, based on our long time experience with companies that provide look alike cross-platform solutions, like Adobe and Nemetscheck (Vectorworks), are baffled by the unexpected appoach and quirky implementation of an otherwise quite nifty looking and elegant interface.

Problem is looks without substance or expected consistency from a major program are not of much value to people that have to produce drawings and meet client demands and deadlines for a living.

Best regards and lots of thank you's,

Marcel

Terry Heard Designers
350 Lakeshore Road East · Suite 200
Oakville · ON · Canada · L6J 1J6
tel | 905.842.3131
Message 20 of 26
gregory

I've been working with AutoCAD since version 14!  And I'm shocked when people refer to classic mode, are we really trying to go back to 1992!  or even earlier!  It's been 20 years!  

Imagine if we were still using cellular phones... the old motorola flip phones...  have we not evolved with other preferences...

THE NEW MAC INTERFACE IS SWEET!

plus who needs UI...  Try this hit Command 0, full screen baby!  If you need the command line then Command 3...

why take the time to look for buttons when you can simply use keyboard shortcuts that you can customize to your own liking.

I wonder if when we're workig on full size desk tablets people will still be asking for classic mode... hmmmm....

-G

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost