AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHX FONTS

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
davidmichaelblack
18282 Views, 25 Replies

SHX FONTS

I have stuck "archstyl.shx" in everyplace I can think of so Autocad for the Mac can find and use it. It don't. It sees other shx fonts (and of course the TT fonts) in the same places. archstyl.shx is critical to interface with Windows ACAD based clients. Anybody got a clue?

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

did you try to locate and copy it from your windows version?

Message 3 of 26

That's how I got it. The question now is where to put it on the Mac so ACAD will recognize it.

Message 4 of 26
Gary_K
in reply to: davidmichaelblack

<home>/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/roaming/AutoCAD 2011/R18.1/enu/Support/

It seems to work for me.

Gary

Message 5 of 26
davidmichaelblack
in reply to: Gary_K

That's where I have it - but it doesn't show in Text Style Editor - see attachments.

Anyone else?

Message 6 of 26
maxim_k

Hi,

This is what you're looking for?

1857i87CD582F2B510727

If so - see attachment.

EDIT:

If you're wondering, I also have CityBlueprint in SHX format:

1859i507EA0B93732E2A8

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 7 of 26
davidmichaelblack
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks for sending those along. Thinking that I might have a corrupt original I stuck yours in all the Font and Support folders, but ACAD 4 MAC is still not seeing them. It sees other "shx" fonts that apparently came with the app, but not these. Need more help . . .

Message 8 of 26
maxim_k

Hi,

I put SHX files to "AutoCAD.app/Contents/Resources/Fonts/shx/".

In order to get inside AutoCAD.app you have to locate it in Finder, Control-click on it and select "Show Package Contents"

HTH

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 26
davidmichaelblack

Believe it or not, that is where I looked for the specified folder. Couldn't see it. Until I tried to create a new folder in that location - then everything showed. Copied the shx files in and now A4M sees it. Thanks

Message 10 of 26
HawkAIA

Thanks. That worked for me, too.  Talk about counter-intuitive!  This seems to mean that if the Autocad app is updated, then those fonts will be lost and will have to be manually copied again.

Message 11 of 26
maxim_k
in reply to: HawkAIA

@john wrote:

.....This seems to mean that if the Autocad app is updated, then those fonts will be lost and will have to be manually copied again.

Hi John,

I think you should not wary about updates, it usually do not affect fonts or another support files of this kind inside application bundle.

Make backup 😉

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 26
seth

@maxim_k - you are my savior.  I've been trying to figure this out all week, I've been all over the web, all over this website, all over my ACAD geeks, and I was washed up.  I'd decided to revert to simplex, then I found your post.  I'd used Terminal to find the files, I'd used all kinds of other silly nonsense, but the right click 'show package contents' was new to me.

Thank you.

Message 13 of 26
maxim_k
in reply to: seth

Hi seth,

You are welcome!

In fact it is very simple - almost all applications on Mac OS X are organized into Application bundles.

From Wikipedia:

"Application bundles are presented to users in Mac OS X as a single file known as a "package". This file is really a directory ending in a .app extension."

(if you ever look at Mac OS application from Windows side, you will see folder with .app extension, not a single file)

"Control-clicking (or right-clicking) on the package and selecting "Show Package Contents" allows a user to open up the bundle and see the contents. In an application, the first directory in the bundle is usually Contents. Within Contents there is usually another directory (called MacOS on Macs, or using the application's name on GNUstep), which contains the application's executable code. Within the Contents folder there is usually also a directory called Resources, which contains the resources of the application."

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 14 of 26
seth

Ah, Maxim, I've been using a Mac for years, only recently as my primary computer, and I never knew that.  

I have another font question - this time related to ttf fonts.  For some reason AutoCAD for Mac doesn't display our company ttf font when a drawing first loads.  If I go to 'text style' and check the font associated with our style it says it is the correct font.  I've found a work-around by changing the font for the style, clicking apply and ok, and then repeating the steps to select the correct font.  This works ok but I have to do it to each and every file and some of our projects have dozens...  Do you have any idea why the font doesn't display correctly and do you know of a proper fix?

Message 15 of 26
maxim_k

Do I understand you correctly: your files are saved in Windows and when you try to open it on Mac, names of a TTF font do not "transmitted" correctly?

Do you have the same fonts on Mac and in Windows in this case ?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 16 of 26
seth

The tts font in question is properly and functionally installed on both Windows and Mac platforms.  The version of AutoCAD used on the Windows system is 2009.  When I open the .dwg file in AutoCAD for Mac the font displays incorrectly (simplex .shx is substituted as far as I can tell).  If I choose 'text style' from the 'Format' menu of AutoCAD for Mac and select the style that is not displaying correctly it lists the correct font as the currently used font.  If I change it to another .tts font it displays that font correctly.  If I then change to back to the intended .tts font it displays correctly.

Message 17 of 26
HawkAIA

Copy the Windows ttf (not the mac ttf), into the package per Mr. Maxim's instructions. Quit Autocad for Mac and reopen.  That solved the problem in my office, allowing Mac and Windows acad users to open files seamlessly.  Like others, I cannot thank Mr. Maxim enough for this tip.

Message 18 of 26
seth

I tried that, and after your post I tried it again to make sure I did it perfectly, and no luck.  I also have the same problem when I go back to the PC - I have to change the tts font to get it to display correctly.  Argh.

Message 19 of 26
maxim_k

Hi seth,

@seth wrote:

....I have to change the tts font to get it to display correctly.  Argh.

Can you clarify?

TTS font - I do not understand what is it.

Is it relates to text-to-speech?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 20 of 26
seth

That was a typo - I meant TTF.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost