AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup AutoCAD 2015 Mac Printers for 24x36 PDF when I only on a 11x17 printer...

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
bparker02
11409 Views, 13 Replies

Setup AutoCAD 2015 Mac Printers for 24x36 PDF when I only on a 11x17 printer...

Hello Everyone!

So I recently upgraded from ACAD 2009, which I was running virtually through VMWare Fusion to ACAD 2015 on Yosemite 10.10.1. I'm pleasantly surprised at how much has changed since I last looked at AutoCAD for the Mac in 2013.

I'm having a little trouble plotting drawings in ACAD 2015 and I'm looking for a some help! I don't own a large format printer as almost all my projects are sent out of office to print. I only own an 11x17 printer so I can run off check sets.

When I used to work in VMWare, I used the Adobe PDF printer but this is obviously no longer an option in many of the recent OS updates by Apple with the builtin SAVE AS PDF options.

So my question..... 

How do I go about printing a 12x18, 24x36, 36x42 PDF now that I can't use the Adobe PDF writer? I've created the custom paper sizes that I use like ARCH C and D but since my printer only allows 11x17 the sheets keep defaulting back to this size.

I also don't see the APPLY TO LAYOUT button that I became so familiar with in 2009 and earlier. Is there something similar nowadays or do I need to start using page setup more?

Thanks for any and all help!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
maxim_k
in reply to: bparker02

Hi,

You need to create named Page Setup with custom paper size you created and assign it to the Layout you want to print in Page Setup Manager, than use Print dialog -you will see the world "Custom" in paper size drop down list, than you can save to PDF by opening Preview from Print dialog. You can also use Batch Publish with this named page setup if you need to save to PDF multiple Layouts.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 14
bparker02
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks for the solution. This is an extremely painful work around as I have to keep selecting the setting everytime I print. Is there anything in the new AutoCAD that allows you to apply the current settings to all future layouts? I used to use APPLY TO LAYOUT because I would have multiple sheets on one layout tab. Is there anything like this anymore?

Thanks!!

Message 4 of 14
maxim_k

Hi,

If you will reate named Page Setup with custom paper size in Page Setup Manager, than you can open each of your Layouts in the drawing one by one and assign this named page setup to the currently opened Layout (seems equal to APPLY To LAYOUT request).
After you assign named page setup to each layout in the drawing you can use Batch publish to print all Layouts to physical device or save to PDF - than there is no need to adjust custom paper size each time you print.
BTW: if you will create named page setup, you can assign it to each Layout in Batch publish dialog itself:

Screen Shot 2014-12-13 at 15.48.35.png

If you have at first only one Layout in the drawing and want each subsequent Layout to have the same page setup as you have in the initial Layout (to which you alredy assign everything you need, including paper size), you can use "Duplicate" from right-click context menu in Quick View drawings window.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 14
colleensusans

I am also wondering where the "apply to layout" feature is in the MAC version of autocad 2105 is.  Everytime I want to simply print preview I have to recreate my settings in the page set-up manager.  Then, if I go back into the print dialouge box and select "last used settings", it has NOT saved my selections.  HELP!  This is very frustrating.

Thanks!

Colleen

Message 6 of 14
bparker02
in reply to: colleensusans

Unfortunately there isn't an APPLY TO LAYOUT anymore. I really hated this to start but now that I've gotten my all my different pages setup I'm able to BATCH PUBLISH, which is an incredible time saver!

You first of all have to go to PAGESETUP and make a new layout, say 11x17, 24x36, etc. Make sure you have the plot style, sheet size, and margins setup the way you want them. I'd recommend doing this inside of MODEL space and then go to the layout tab and type PAGESETUP again, double click just left of the name, or right click on the page setup you'd like and click SET CURRENT to assign it to that sheet.

Then once you've got all your sheet setup use PUBLISH in the command line or File->Batch Publish to Print/PDF all your sheets at one time. The sheets don't even need to be open!

PS. Once you have all the page setups that you'd like; just go to PAGESETUP in any of your new documents and just import them from the original document.

Message 7 of 14

Attached is a screen print showing how my paper space (24 x 36) layout needs to be applied as a new 30 x 42 layout.  After I print, it doesn't apply the settings.

GAH!

Message 8 of 14

HOLY HELL IT WORKED !!!!!!  Thank you so much!  🙂  You've made my week!  

Message 9 of 14
contact

Max, for me when I select 24 x 36, after I've created the custom layout, it exists out of the print dialogue box. I select the window drag box around my layout and then when I hit preview it just takes me back to paper space. Is there a PDF printer I need to install? if yes, how do I do that?

Thank you

Message 10 of 14
maxim_k

Hi,
If you already created Named Page Setup in Page Setup Manager and set it current. Tan you don't need to specify what to plot (window) in Plot dialog in order to preview output in Preview app.
Just pick Preview button.
On Mac you don't need to install special PDF printer.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 11 of 14
jltag

I have my page set up to custom A1; however, it still only prints 8.5" x 11". Preview and batch both produce the same result. I have attached  a screenshot for reference. Any help appreciated.

Message 12 of 14
bparker02
in reply to: jltag

As I no longer use AutoCAD 2015 for the Mac...since they've decided that it shouldn't work with the El Capitan update I can only go off of memory. I believe you need to go into PAGESETUP, set up a custom sheet for yourself with that A1 size. Then when you go to plot or batch you'll select that sheet type that you created. Hopefully this helps a little.

Message 13 of 14
maxim_k

Hi,
Please verify that named Page Setup you are using to batch publish has your custom paper size ant it is set current for all Layouts you want to butch publish.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 14 of 14
jltag

thanks so much for your response. Although my set up showed an A1 sheet is was defaulting to printer size. I created a new page set up and set it also for model space. Seems to have worked. what a pain!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost